Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Commlinks and Personas

<< < (2/13) > >>

FastJack:
For once, I'm kinda with Ming on this one. How exactly is the commlink identifying you? Do they all have a DNA/Retina/Face scan that logs into your persona? I mean, if I pick up my friend's cell phone, the only thing preventing me from using it is their passkey on the phone. I get the rules reasons, since every hack then turns into a wageslave mugging, but Ming's right, if everytime you access from anywhere, it's your persona, GOD should be watching all the doors for you to log in.

MercilessMing:

--- Quote from: FastJack on ---For once, I'm kinda with Ming on this one.

--- End quote ---
For once?  I guess you keep your disagreements to yourself a lot then  ;)

Hobbes:

--- Quote from: FastJack on ---How exactly is the commlink identifying you?

--- End quote ---

Purely by the force of necessary game meta-mechanics.  Which is a crappy answer, but it is *why*. 

How?  However the GM/Table would like to hand-waive, essentially.

As SSDR says above, if your table is good with identity theft by palming a commlink, than go for it.  Please do what makes sense and is fun at your table.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
So, a few things.

--- Quote from: FastJack on ---For once, I'm kinda with Ming on this one. How exactly is the commlink identifying you? Do they all have a DNA/Retina/Face scan that logs into your persona?
--- End quote ---

It's not the commlink that's identifying you.  The commlink doesn't care who you are. Nor can it tell the difference between legit and hacked access.  This is also true for hosts-they don't recognize the difference between access that came legitimately and access that was hacked.  It's the Matrix that recognizes you and pairs you with "You", aka your Persona.

There are no rules whatsoever for hacking access to a persona.  A persona isn't tied to a device or a host.  If you lose your commlink and borrow your chummer's, you still get your persona when you log in to the matrix.  If you hand back your chummer's commlink and buy a disposable meta-link from a vending machine, as soon as you connect to the matrix you get your persona again.  You cannot "delete" your persona and start a new one.  Or, perhaps, a better way to look at it is you actually CAN, but your new persona is functionally identical to every other persona you've ever used, so the distinction is meaningless.

--- Quote ---...if everytime you access from anywhere, it's your persona, GOD should be watching all the doors for you to log in.

--- End quote ---

They are.

A host is ultimately no better than a commlink when it comes to telling a successful hacker from a legitimate user, but GOD can always tell the difference.  The Overwatch Score mechanic is universal and absolute.  There may be some Resonance-based mitigation tricks, but OS is all knowing and never wrong.  GOD always can see signs of when you're doing BS on the matrix.  It just takes them until convergence to put the picture together.

If GOD sees everything, why don't they shut down hosts that cater to illegal activities?  Because they simply don't care about THAT kind of illegality.  Bunraku parlor hosts and spiders can engage in sexual trafficking but so long as they don't hack anyone, they're as clean as the driven snow in GOD's eyes.  And GOD is absolutely going to come down just as hard on hooders hacking the bunraku parlor host as they do vandals bringing down the local stuffer shack.

Odsh:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Honestly it's more of a "you can't impersonate anyone because that would result in "there's so many ways to bypass the entire hacking system that it can't be allowed" situation.

--- End quote ---

What exactly are those ways to bypass the entire hacking system?

Two come to my mind:
- split overwatch score over multiple commlinks
- circumvent the drone limit for riggers

Anything else?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version