NEWS

Fangs as a weapon foci

• 24 Replies

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-27-18/0850:18> »
Twitchy muscle problems are a thing of distant editions ago.  We haven't even seen an object lesson in the creepiness of move-by-wire in a long time.
Not supporting focus fangs is no anti-magic prejudice, it's orthodontal empathy.

I believe the point was that someone posted how horrible getting a mouth tattoo was, but no one posts how horrible it is to replace half your body with chrome for a tech character. Why do you think that is, if not for an anti-magic bias?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #16 on: <01-28-18/1037:33> »
Mostly I think it disassociation. Many people get a tattoo, an even larger number have seen fresh tattoos and have an idea of how terribly painful such a thing would be.
For some reason no body really knows anyone who's had their nervous system replaced by nanite augmented, fiber optic relays, so we really have no idea what that looks like or how painful/ugly it is. That's my guess.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <01-28-18/1710:08> »
Plus, you are usually under anesthesia when you get augmentations.  You could always opt for the same thing for a mouth tattoo, but then other people with tattoos would consider you a wuss (and since the game is set in Seattle, that means pretty much everyone).

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #18 on: <01-28-18/1822:33> »
Plus, you are usually under anesthesia when you get augmentations.  You could always opt for the same thing for a mouth tattoo, but then other people with tattoos would consider you a wuss (and since the game is set in Seattle, that means pretty much everyone).

I have Tattoos. NEVER heard of a tattoo shop that the artist has gone through the effort of getting a medical license/permit/training to be able to administer anesthesia (a controlled substance).

Heck, I have my Occupational First Aid level 3, and I can't even give you an Aspirin - unless you are having a heart attack! And at OFA3, I am expected to be able to handle and stabilize for transit  people who have amputations, spinal cord injuries, penetrative thorax injuries, and everything else that could happen to a person on an industrial job site. 

The bigger question for me, would be how does the Vampire's Regeneration ability affect the tattooing? Tattoos are foreign matter forcefully injected into the skin and muscle tissue of the person. Does the regeneration force it out of the skin? Does it accept it? Does the magical nature of the process allow it to stay? Does the magical nature of the tattoo only kick in after its completed - thus allowing it to stay?

Lots of Questions here without a direct answer, which is up to the GM of the table to decide if its a fit for his table...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <01-28-18/1836:07> »
Mostly I think it disassociation. Many people get a tattoo, an even larger number have seen fresh tattoos and have an idea of how terribly painful such a thing would be.
For some reason no body really knows anyone who's had their nervous system replaced by nanite augmented, fiber optic relays, so we really have no idea what that looks like or how painful/ugly it is. That's my guess.

My experiences here say otherwise. Go look through a few threads on mages trying to do anything but summon spirits and cast spells, my character thread and your comments being a perfect example.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-29-18/1242:30> »
My experiences here say otherwise. Go look through a few threads on mages trying to do anything but summon spirits and cast spells, my character thread and your comments being a perfect example.

Feel free to look through my Mage and adept build threads, I don't really think it's a big issue.

What I said wasn't anti-magic, it was anti a problematic focus concept. Foci teeth, is really just an unarmed attack focus, there plenty of other ways to achieve this,  boots and knucks being the easiest ways. Getting once teeth enchanted is just nasty. What happens when you add an elemental effect to your focus? Burning teeth? Electric teeth? Metal Teeth (lol)? The repercussions are just not great. and worse if we let this fly now, what do we do when some twinky animal adept build wants to get their animal companions teeth made into a focus. Poor little lassy sent to the talismonger dentist.

If you want an example of non traditional mage i think there is one a couple below this about bad touch/unarmed attack mage. My advise would be try not to make so many assumptions.
« Last Edit: <01-29-18/1253:57> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <01-29-18/1323:20> »

Feel free to look through my Mage and adept build threads, I don't really think it's a big issue.

What I said wasn't anti-magic, it was anti a problematic focus concept. Foci teeth, is really just an unarmed attack focus, there plenty of other ways to achieve this,  boots and knucks being the easiest ways. Getting once teeth enchanted is just nasty. What happens when you add an elemental effect to your focus? Burning teeth? Electric teeth? Metal Teeth (lol)? The repercussions are just not great. and worse if we let this fly now, what do we do when some twinky animal adept build wants to get their animal companions teeth made into a focus. Poor little lassy sent to the talismonger dentist.

If you want an example of non traditional mage i think there is one a couple below this about bad touch/unarmed attack mage. My advise would be try not to make so many assumptions.

I love how you dismiss my point by saying that it isn't a big deal in your opinion. Probably because you are one of the ones doing it, even in this very post ("it's just nasty"). You know what else is nasty, lopping off body parts. Have you ever said to a cyber character "you shouldn't get cyber, it's just nasty"? 

Then you go into a slippery slope argument. First the OP was asking about a weapon foci. Regardless, elemental body would effect the whole body, even if the tattoo is scrimshaw on the teeth. Second, you are the only one who brought up animal companions. That aside, I would love to play (or DM) with an adept who did scrimshaw on his animal companion's teeth to give it's bite ki powers rather than yet another vanilla adept who increases agility, firearms skill, and shoots things extra well.

And finally, it's advice, not advise. Advise is a verb, you advise someone. Advice is a noun, you give someone advice when you advise them. Furthermore, what I said wasn't an assumption, it was an observation made over nearly 3 years of coming and going from this forum.

P.S. The non-traditional mage you mention is still a mage that runs around casting spells. Hard to get more traditional than that. (But I am well aware of that thread and have given my input in it.)
« Last Edit: <01-29-18/1326:21> by ShadowcatX »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <01-29-18/2117:45> »
I love how you dismiss my point by saying that it isn't a big deal in your opinion. Probably because you are one of the ones doing it, even in this very post ("it's just nasty"). You know what else is nasty, lopping off body parts. Have you ever said to a cyber character "you shouldn't get cyber, it's just nasty"? 
In point of fact I have said exactly that about several implants, the oral ripper being an oddly relevant example lol.

Then you go into a slippery slope argument. First the OP was asking about a weapon foci. Regardless, elemental body would effect the whole body, even if the tattoo is scrimshaw on the teeth. Second, you are the only one who brought up animal companions. That aside, I would love to play (or DM) with an adept who did scrimshaw on his animal companion's teeth to give it's bite ki powers rather than yet another vanilla adept who increases agility, firearms skill, and shoots things extra well.
Yeah I try to think a little bit before jumping to conclusions. It works pretty well, you might like it. As to scrimshawing your animal companions teeth, that is just wrong. Have you scrimshawed something before? I'm 100% sure I'd rather have an arm replaced then get my teeth scrimshawed.  I mean maybe not as wrong as bio-droning but still just very wrong.

And finally, it's advice, not advise. Advise is a verb, you advise someone. Advice is a noun, you give someone advice when you advise them. Furthermore, what I said wasn't an assumption, it was an observation made over nearly 3 years of coming and going from this forum.

Oh I'm confident I advised you just fine lol. But grammer nazi away good sir. Feel free to come and go as you like. I'm not exactly new here myself as you may or may not have noticed.

P.S. The non-traditional mage you mention is still a mage that runs around casting spells. Hard to get more traditional than that. (But I am well aware of that thread and have given my input in it.)

Combat Touch spells are not generally traditional at any table I have played at over the last 5 editions, but each to there own i guess. I mean if you don't want your mage builds to cast spells more power to you, but generally that why folks make mages. Nothing wrong summoning build of course, spirits are way strong, and given the state of 5th you can get a lot more variety in summoning, the ever before.  After that I'm not really sure what you want, I guess you could make a pure astral build. I made a rock star dwarf astral explorer with combination guitar/Axe weapon focus somewhere, which was really just so he could "Rock out of this world!!!!". However I would be hard pressed to call it an effective build.

So what do ya got next?  LOL
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <01-30-18/1310:22> »
You've told someone they shouldn't get cyberware because it is nasty. Interesting. Please feel free to link that post.

Also, your feelings on scrimshaw have nothing to do with other people's games. This is Shadowrun, there are terrible things aplenty.

And my point was that the touch spell mage still only casts spells. He's not doing anything out of the ordinary. He's not a samurai or a face or an infiltrator with a bit of magic, he's just a spell caster. As opposed to my build that is primarily a combatant that can also cast spells.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-30-18/1457:25> »
You've told someone they shouldn't get cyberware because it is nasty. Interesting. Please feel free to link that post.

Also, your feelings on scrimshaw have nothing to do with other people's games. This is Shadowrun, there are terrible things aplenty.

And my point was that the touch spell mage still only casts spells. He's not doing anything out of the ordinary. He's not a samurai or a face or an infiltrator with a bit of magic, he's just a spell caster. As opposed to my build that is primarily a combatant that can also cast spells.

LOL screenies or didn't happen eh? I'll see if i can find it, but I'm not holding out hope, I'm been active for awhile, and on several other shadow boards. But rest assured, I'll call a spade a spade regardless of it's origin. The Oral ripper is nasty it's just a fact, there list of other cybeware I'm not super fond of Pain Editor, being a good example, Russian Roulette with the old condition monitor just to avoid some dice penalties has never been a good idea on my list.

Wow my opinion doesn't shape your world view? Well I am shocked. Thank you for sharing this deep revelation with me. I hope PETA finds you first! lol

So Hybrid builds are your thing? Well Face/Mage is so easy as to be boring, I'm sure I have super cha elf face build somewhere on here.  Decker/Mage was solid 2 editions ago, and could work to large degree again, though it's very resource intensive, doing it in priority would suck. Primary combatant caster general means being a MysAd, and I don't bother with that nonsense. It's not hard to build its just been done to death. We even have stag spirit now so we can pick up cheap +2 to blades, But I'd rather just build true physAd and just cut out the middle man. My favorite mage build is wis ganger, running Chaos Tradition and lightning spec, mainly b/c I like wiz ganger image and retractable staves are cool for the neo-hermetic, rune inscribed armor jacket look.
Thinking
com
speaking