NEWS

Cyberlimbs Tank Proof of Concept

• 25 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« on: <02-28-18/1141:11> »
So I tried playing around with building a non-adept tank.  The direction I'm going with is trying to capitalize on cyberlimbs that grant extra CM boxes as well as the ability to be "organically" armored.  In designing a character around having multiple cyberlimbs, I've become less clear than when I started on how the attributes work when there are multiple cyberlimbs involved :D

For starters, the provisional character sheet as generated by Chummer (the non-cyberware resource expenditures are VERY provisional at this point):

== Personal Data ==
Name: Vunter Slaush Alias: Upgrayedd
Ork Movement: 6/12 (2m/hit) Swim: 8 (1m/hit)
Composure: 8
Street Cred: 0 Judge Intentions: 5
Notoriety: 0 Lift/Carry: 15 (105 kg/70 kg)
Public Awareness: 0 Memory: 9
Eyes: Hair:
Primary Arm: Right

== Priorities ==
Metatype: C,2
Attributes: B,3
Special: E,0
Skills: D,1
Resources: A,4

== Attributes ==
BOD: 8 CHA: 1
AGI: 3 (5) INT: 4
REA: 5 (7) LOG: 2
STR: 5 (7) WIL: 5 (7)
EDG: 2

== Derived Attributes
Essence: 0.48 Initiative: 11 +2d6
Physical Damage Track: 16Rigger Initiative: 11 +2d6
Stun Damage Track: 12Astral Initiative:
Physical: 10 Matrix AR: 11 +2d6
Hydraulic Jacks [+6] (Only with Jumping and Sprinting)
Hydraulic Jacks [+6] (Only with Jumping and Sprinting)
Mental: 5 Matrix Cold: 4 + DP +3d6
Medkit [+6] (Only for First Aid and Medicine)
Social: 4 Matrix Hot: 4 + DP +4d6
Astral: 5

== Active Skills ==
Automatics Base: 6 + Karma: 0 = 6 Pool: 11
Cybertechnology Base: 0 + Karma: 1 = 1 Pool: 3
Free-Fall Base: 0 + Karma: 1 = 1 Pool: 9
Gymnastics Base: 4 + Karma: 0 = 4 Pool: 9
Perception Base: 2 + Karma: 0 = 2 Pool: 6
Pilot Ground Craft Base: 0 + Karma: 1 = 1 Pool: 8
Running Base: 0 + Karma: 1 = 1 Pool: 8
Sneaking Base: 3 + Karma: 0 = 3 Pool: 8
Throwing Weapons Base: 0 + Karma: 1 = 1 Pool: 6
Unarmed Combat (Cyber Implants) Base: 6 + Karma: 0 = 6 Pool: 12 (14)

== Knowledge Skills ==
English Native
Or'zet Base: 2 + Karma: 0 = 2 Pool: 6
Club Music (Powernoize) Base: 2 + Karma: 0 = 2 Pool: 6 (8)
Fight Clubs Base: 3 + Karma: 0 = 3 Pool: 7
Gangs Base: 1 + Karma: 0 = 1 Pool: 5
Philosophy (Existentialist) Base: 2 + Karma: 0 = 2 Pool: 4 (6)

== Qualities ==
Allergy (Common, Mild) (Sunlight)
Cyber-Singularity Seeker
Did You Just Call Me Dumb?
High Pain Tolerance (Rating 1)
Low-Light Vision
Phobia (Common, Moderate) (Fire)
Superhuman Psychosis
Will to Live (Rating 2)

== Lifestyle ==
Flophouse (Low) 1 Months

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Datajack
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 5, STR 6, Physical 9) (Left)
+ Customized StrengthRating 5
+ ArmorRating 3
+ Enhanced AgilityRating 2
+ Enhanced StrengthRating 1
+ Commlink
+ Cyberfinger (Fingerlight)
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 6, STR 6, Physical 9) (Right)
+ Enhanced AgilityRating 3
+ Enhanced StrengthRating 1
+ ArmorRating 3
+ Hand Blade

Obvious Full Leg (AGI 4, STR 8, Physical 11) (Left)
+ ArmorRating 3
+ Enhanced AgilityRating 1
+ Enhanced StrengthRating 3
+ Hydraulic JacksRating 6
+ Biomonitor
+ Auto Injector
+ Auto Injector Expansion
Obvious Full Leg (AGI 4, STR 8, Physical 11) (Right)
+ ArmorRating 3
+ Enhanced AgilityRating 1
+ Hydraulic JacksRating 6
+ Large Smuggling Compartment
Reaction EnhancersRating 2
Smartlink
Wired ReflexesRating 1

== Armor ==
Armor Jacket 12
+ Fire Resistance 4
+ Nonconductivity 4

== Weapons ==
AK-97
+ Foregrip
+ Gas-Vent 3 System
+ Sling
+ Smartgun System, External
+ Spare Clip
+ Spare Clip
Pool: 11 Accuracy: 7 DV: 10P AP: -2 RC: 8
Hand Blade
Pool: 12 (14)Accuracy: 10 DV: 8P AP: -2 RC: 4
Steyr TMP
+ Laser Sight
+ Smartgun System, Internal
+ Sound Suppressor
+ Spare Clip
+ Spare Clip
Pool: 11 Accuracy: 6 DV: 7P AP: - RC: 4
Unarmed Attack
Pool: 12 Accuracy: 10 DV: 7S AP: - RC: 4

== Commlink ==
Transys Avalon (ATT: 0, SLZ: 0, DP: 6, FWL: 6)
+ Signal Scrub
+ Browse
+ Encryption
+ Sim Module

== Gear: Equipped ==
Ammo: Regular Ammo (Machine Pistols) x100
Ammo: Regular Ammo (Assault Rifles) x120
Certified Credstick, Standard
Fake SIN (UCAS: Johnnie Walker) Rating 4
Fake SIN (UCAS: Johnnie Walker) Rating 4
+ Fake License (Restricted Cyberware License) Rating 4
+ Fake License (Firearms License) Rating 4
+ Fake License (Driver's License) Rating 4
Glasses Rating 2
Medkit Rating 6
Slap Patch, Stim Patch Rating 6 x6

== Vehicles ==
Echo Motors Zip
+ Metahuman Adjustment Rating 1
+ Sensor ArrayRating 2

== Contacts ==
Organlegger (Tamanous Member), (Connection: 5, Loyalty: 1)

Ok so the cyberlimbs situation.  The character has 3 AGI 5 STR "inherently" as in even before cyberlimbs.  They're all customized to that 3/5 standard, and they all are then enhanced beyond that (to non-identical degrees).  The legs match each other at 4/8, and the arms are higher AGI and lower STR (5/6 and 6/6 for left/right).  So the cyberlimbs' enhancements give me an "all over" augmented AGI/STR of 5/7 even though no individual limb has those exact stats.

So the way I understand how cyberlimbs work, is all the following correct?

A) When running, I'd use 8 STR instead of 7, as that's using the two legs (and potentially +6 more dice from hydraulic jacks if they're wireless)
B) When shooting with just the right arm, I'd use AGI 6 instead of 5?
C) When shooting a gun that requires both arms, I'd use AGI 5 as it's the lower of the two arms?
D) Hypothetically, if the two arms had a vastly different AGI would I be using the average between the two or just the lower of the two?

E) Biggie.  So with Unarmed Combat... do I use the whole body average for the AGI on the opposed test?  Is the DV set by whole body STR average or by the striking limb?  What if the attack is not using a hand blade but is just a "regular" unarmed attack (dealing physical damage b/c no matter which limb it is, it's a cyberlimb)

Some other design thoughts:
I'm a fan of the Cyber Singularity Seeker quality.  It's allowing not only a monstrous physical CM, it's also making possible a very respectable WIL.  With his armor being obnoxious, most everything shy of an Assault Cannon is going to be stun (and sometimes even that!) so he needs as large a stun CM as possible.  Besides every mage knows they way to bring down a tank is to attack their tiny brains with mana spells... 7 wil is about as good defense as one can get on that front without outside help.

Why no cyberspurs?  Heh.  Went with alphaware to not run out of essence... and an alphaware cyberspur is over 12 availability.  So crappy old hand blade it is.  Granted, those would be among the first things to be upgraded post-chargen :D

I'm not sure it's completely legal, but the way our circle does slap patches is you can load their drug payload into auto-injectors.  Which is why this character has them and a matching bio-monitor implanted.  Pain Editors can't be had in chargen, so a slap patch deployment mechanism is his ghetto pain editor.  He's got the physical CM (16+10) to play serious games with stun overflow...

A concern I have is being able to ultimately GET a pain editor.  Yeah, he's built to have one finish him off and become a pure juggernaut... but with the trifecta of a low CHA, no karma for negotiation, and picking negative qualities that sock the social dimension it's going to be a LONG time before he can acquire one... the =Y= is going to be much less of a challenge than hitting the 18F availability code. You have to buy hits in SRM to acquire gear, which means he'll need 20 dice, or a contact who can get 20 dice.  Lol.  Not anytime soon.  I'm thinking even without the negative social qualities, he'll have to at least amass the street cred to lower the availability down below 16, so that 16 dice will suffice.  Even by then, if he doesn't get a more connected contact than his organlegger "buddy", that's still gonna call for being willing to pay +125% book cost to hit 16 dice... which will hurt the credsticks mightily.  I'm pretty sure that as awesome as he'd be with a pain editor, I have to perhaps build him with more social aptitude in order to ever get one.

« Last Edit: <02-28-18/1149:00> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-28-18/1407:15> »
There is a lot to tweak here.

If Sum-to-10 is allowed, consider dropping Skills to E and upgrading Metatype to B. You lose 4 skill points but gain 4 points of Edge, which is a fantastic trade.

Now, onto the cyberlimbs.

First, you have availability issues. Armor for the limbs is Rating * 5, so the most you can take for regular cyberlimbs while staying under Availability 12 is 2 points. If you get them Used then you can get 3 points of armor per limb, but of course that eats up Essence like woah. The fact that you've taken Alphaware limbs means that the Armor is Availability 17, so that's a no-no.

Second, you want to use Customized Agility/Strength to max out the limbs before you even touch Enhanced Agility/Strength. The Customized attributes cost ¥5,000 per point and do NOT take up cyberlimb capacity. The Enhanced attributes cost ¥6,500 per point and DO take up capacity, so that's why you take Customized first. If you're playing an ork, you want to max out the limbs with Customized Agility 6 and Customized Strength 8 before you even touch the Enhanced attributes. (That said, definitely do both if you can afford it. The Enhanced attributes are a dynamite bargain.)

A) Agility is more important for running than Strength because it will boost your base movement rate and make sprinting less necessary. When you do need to sprint, you would use the average value of Strength for your legs, plus your hydraulic jacks if their wireless in on.

B) Given your current sheet, your right arm would shoot with Agility 6 (default AGI 3 + Enhanced Agility 3, which - per the above - is not the best way to do it).

C/D) I'm not sure what the official rule is but I believe most GMs would allow you to shoot with the average of the two arms rather than just using the lower Agility score.

E) The convention is that if you're leading an attack with a certain limb - because that's the one with hand razors, or a shock hand, or a cyberspur - then almost every GM will let you use the AGI/STR value for that limb. Many GMs would give you the benefit of the doubt and let you use these attributes even if were a more generic unarmed attack, but that would be a conversation to have with your GM. (Personally, I would allow it but would draw the line at something involving the whole body, like wrestling, at which point I would start averaging limbs.)

That's a start. If you like, I will PM you my four-cyberlimb ork that I cooked up last month.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-28-18/1620:42> »
There is a lot to tweak here.

Indeed.  I love how the feedback provided improved my other Covert Ops character, hoping to get more of the same here.

If Sum-to-10 is allowed, consider dropping Skills to E and upgrading Metatype to B. You lose 4 skill points but gain 4 points of Edge, which is a fantastic trade.
This is, if actually going on to play rather than just serve as a character building exercise, a SRM character.  Sum-to-10 is technically allowed but not recommended.  It'd be subject to GM approval (which is a big deal for organized play where you potentially never know what a given GM might say) so I'd like to avoid Sum-to-10 if at all possible.

Still, so long as you're not doing a human or elf Sum-to-10 can make the other metatypes much more playable.  So I'd expect most GMs would allow a dwarf/ork/troll build this way.  Even if not, I've got other characters to play so it's not a hard "No" to the idea of changing priorities.  And yeah I agree Sum-to-10 WOULD work much better... it always does for the more expensive metatypes.

Now, onto the cyberlimbs.

First, you have availability issues. Armor for the limbs is Rating * 5, so the most you can take for regular cyberlimbs while staying under Availability 12 is 2 points. If you get them Used then you can get 3 points of armor per limb, but of course that eats up Essence like woah. The fact that you've taken Alphaware limbs means that the Armor is Availability 17, so that's a no-no.

Interesting catch.  After reading up on cyberlimbs before getting started, my head was spinning with the limbs giving you (at least) 3 values for AGI/STR. (innate, augmented average, per limb)  So I just built the thing in Chummer and let it do all the math and tell me how the attributes end up, and well the software didn't catch that armor availabilty hitch.  Honestly I'm kind of glad.. he was 12 armor buck naked, and 24 if he just puts on a common armor jacket.  Add in ballistic faceshield, SecureTech armor patches, and pretty much the only way to do actual physical damage is to max out limit on attack with something obnoxious while he gets no dodge test at all.  Even at 2 armor per limb, he'll still be very tough physically damage.  Probably still tough enough to render an on-target grenade to be stun damage (which is pretty much the one benchmark I want to hit- yeah an adept can be Mr Ninja McDodgeypants that "tanks" by never getting hit... I want to build a tank that can survive a hail of grenades that chunkysalsa the adept :) )

However the combination of obnoxious armor and a huge CM in turn gives me reason to question the wisdom of the combination.  Until you have a pain editor, your Physical CM at that point is all just "stun overflow".  So long as an implanted autoinjector/biomonitor can wake the tank up every time his Stun CM is full, I guess that's the next best thing to a pain editor.  And 26 boxes on the physical CM means he can risk keep doing the stim patch trick however long it takes to win the fight, or until he runs out of stim patches...

Second, you want to use Customized Agility/Strength to max out the limbs before you even touch Enhanced Agility/Strength. The Customized attributes cost ¥5,000 per point and do NOT take up cyberlimb capacity. The Enhanced attributes cost ¥6,500 per point and DO take up capacity, so that's why you take Customized first. If you're playing an ork, you want to max out the limbs with Customized Agility 6 and Customized Strength 8 before you even touch the Enhanced attributes. (That said, definitely do both if you can afford it. The Enhanced attributes are a dynamite bargain.)

See, I thought the customized stats were only allowed to go as high as your actual stats.  E.G. if you have AGI 3, you can't "customize" past 3 and have to do enhancements instead.  I was ready to call you out on it and quote the customization rules on pg 456, but you're right!  You can't customize past your augmented maximum; I thought it was you can't customize past your natural attribute value!  Yeah this is going to change how a lot of money gets spent...

That's a start. If you like, I will PM you my four-cyberlimb ork that I cooked up last month.

I've got some tweaking to do on the limbs in light of the misunderstanding I had with customization... but I'd be interested in your take as well.  I'm thinking I may actually just dispense with the cyber implant weaponry entirely.  Limbs already allow me to do physical damage and I can use the arms and legs to pick between higher AGI for more reliable hits and higher STR for higher damage. So I may use the specialization in Unarmed Comabt instead for martial arts techniques or some such.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <02-28-18/1927:59> »
I question the need/use of 4 full limbs.

You can get 85% of what you want really with some better Attributes to start & only 1-2 Full Limb & some hands/feet.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-28-18/2218:58> »
My preferred tank priority selection: 

B Dwarf
E/C Atts
D Aspected Sorcerer 
C/E Atts
A Resources 

Or if you must be mundane: (B Dwarf, D Atts, E Mundane, C skills, A Resources)

Skills D is the worst D slot IMO.  Going Skills E and getting more edge, more atts, more resources, or becoming magic goes a lot farther. 

Tanking is unsustainable as wound penalties can add up faster than you can often take down your foes. Also, because armor is so high, you only take things as stun, making your physical track that you invest heavily in worthless. It doesn't matter how many physical boxes you have if you get knocked out. 

Shadowrun tanking only works (IMO) with a Pain Editor. This lets you: 

Not experience wound penalties.
Increase your effective damage track to Stun + Physical x2  (once your out of stun boxes, stun damage comes in as physical/2). This lets you take advantage of those limb boxes. If you are a Willpower 7(9) Body 3 with 4 limbs, you have 13 stun + effective 14(x2) physical = 41 boxes in basically one track.   
Pain Editors up your willpower higher, good for full defense, which tanks will do a lot and FLR tanks don't benefit from Agile Defender.

You can afford to take less body/str and increase willpower (for defense/addiction) when you get to use both your damage tracks and stay on your feet. 

Screw wired reflexes.  You are a willpower boosted dwarf, get Narco + Cram (and psych) and save the money/essence. 

Why are your legs strong and not your arms? You can be a fine enough jumper without that strength, but you are not hitting very hard. A dwarf can get a 11 Strength Cyberarm. 

Qualities: 
Cybersingularity Seeker   
Restricted Gear (Pain Editor)
OR wait to get a Pain Editor in play (save the essence) and get biocompatibility cyberware and a mentor spirit. Just note that you can't really play the character like a throw yourself into every bullet tank until you get the pain editor. 

Being an aspected sorcerer is nice in that: 
you can get a weapon focus to actually damage some of those hard to hit spirits/critters, and get even higher dice melee attacks to go with that 11 Str dward cybearm.   
you can get counterspelling dice to be even more of a tank against spells. 
you have growth potential, beyond 'ware, given that you are already jammed up at chargen. Get a mentor spirit (Bear is nice for a tank), get a metamagic, learn to levitate, etc. 
Free Assensing 

Quick Mockup: 
Karma: 10 karma Agi, 10 on Edge, 24 on PQs, 3 focus, 2 assensing. Needs at least 24 karma of NQs.  (If your GM lets you hit Magic 0 in character gen, better to pump edge with special points and buy Magic back to 1 with 5 karma). 
Nuyen remaining after basic 'ware/focus for other gear and to fill limbs with more stuff: 110k 

== Personal Data ==
Name: Unnamed Character         Alias:
Dwarf                           
Movement: 12/24 (1m/hit)                 
Swim: 2.5 (1m/hit)                   
                                Composure: 12
Street Cred: 0                  Judge Intentions: 7
Notoriety: 0                    Lift/Carry: 6 (45 kg/30 kg)
Public Awareness: 0             Memory: 11
Eyes:                           Hair:
Primary Arm: Right             

== Priorities ==
Metatype: B,3
Attributes: E,0
Special: D,1
Skills: C,2
Resources: A,4

== Attributes ==
BOD: 3                          CHA: 3
AGI: 2                          INT: 4
REA: 3                          LOG: 1 (2)
STR: 3                          WIL: 7 (9)
EDG: 2                          MAG: 1

== Derived Attributes
Essence: 1.02                   Initiative:          7 +1d6
Physical Damage Track: 14       Rigger Initiative:   7 +1d6
Stun Damage Track: 13           Astral Initiative:   8 +3d6
Physical: 4                     Matrix AR:           7 +1d6
Mental: 6                       Matrix Cold:         4 + DP +3d6
Social: 6                       Matrix Hot:          4 + DP +4d6
Astral: 6

== Active Skills ==
Assensing                       Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 5
Automatics (Assault Rifles)     Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 8 (10)
Blades (Knives)                 Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 8 (10)
Con                             Base: 1  + Karma: 0  = 1   Pool: 4
Counterspelling                 Base: 4  + Karma: 0  = 4   Pool: 5
Etiquette                       Base: 1  + Karma: 0  = 1   Pool: 4
Impersonation                   Base: 1  + Karma: 0  = 1   Pool: 4
Leadership                      Base: 1  + Karma: 0  = 1   Pool: 4
Negotiation                     Base: 1  + Karma: 0  = 1   Pool: 4
Perception (Visual)             Base: 4  + Karma: 0  = 4   Pool: 8 (10)
Performance                     Base: 1  + Karma: 0  = 1   Pool: 4
Sneaking (Urban)                Base: 4  + Karma: 0  = 4   Pool: 6 (8)

== Knowledge Skills ==

== Qualities ==
Aspected Magician
Cyber-Singularity Seeker
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Resistance to Pathogens/Toxins
Restricted Gear
Thermographic Vision

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Cerebral BoosterRating 1
Datajack (alpha)
Narco
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 8, STR 8, Physical 8) (Left) (used)
   + ArmorRating 3
   + Enhanced AgilityRating 2
   + Customized AgilityRating 6
   + Customized StrengthRating 8
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 9, STR 11, Physical 10) (Right) (used)
   + ArmorRating 3
   + Customized StrengthRating 8
   + Enhanced AgilityRating 3
Obvious Full Leg (AGI 6, STR 3, Physical 4) (Left) (alpha)
   + ArmorRating 2
Obvious Full Leg (AGI 6, STR 3, Physical 4) (Right) (alpha) 
   + ArmorRating 2
Pain Editor (alpha)
Smartlink (alpha)

== Weapons ==
Combat Knife
   Pool: 8 (10) Accuracy: 6     DV: 5P       AP: -3    RC: 2
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 1      Accuracy: 4     DV: 3S       AP: -     RC: 2

== Gear: Equipped ==
Weapon Focus (Bonded Foci) (Combat Knife) Rating 1
« Last Edit: <03-01-18/1324:26> by FST_Gemstar »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-28-18/2237:32> »
Yes I wasn't able to find a way to actually start play with a Pain Editor.  I need to sit down and just read through Run Faster cover to cover at some point... there seems to be no end of gems in there.

Yeah obviously there'll be whatever retooling is necessary to come up with the 10 karma to get that quality.  Actually paying the =Y= for it should be easy at resources A, even with a bunch of cyber already.

I agree about wired reflexes... once you've got at least 10+1d6 intiative getting level 1 wires is almost a waste of resources.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-28-18/2310:24> »
Don't forget that Agility is used for determining movement. Most GMs would use leg Agility to determine this. Strength + Running is only used if you want to move a little more than your base movement (in meter per hit).  When you have high agility legs, you are going to move so fast (cover more ground in a combat turn with just your base movement) that never need to roll for running.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <02-28-18/2312:43> »
I find the tank concept to be a very problematic one. We lack the mechanics necessary to make tank fulfill their role (IE Aggro Control). Just being able to roll 40 dice of armor may make you tank but it's also pushes the limits at the table.  It's not all that complicated to build these  concepts I just haven't seen one done in a way that I feel like is actually worth bringing along, and Raising the steaks the gm needs to bring to threaten that isn't going help the rest of the table.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-28-18/2320:11> »
Tanks that can move fast function as "battlefield" control. Engaging folks in melee gives a lot of negatives to folks who want to to disengage. Tanks can tend to ignore these negatives. By getting in people's faces out from cover, they become an easy target, often drawing fire. 

I find they are tough concepts in play in that just doing combat, let alone a narrow take on it, limits the extent you are helpful when not fighting. If a run doesn't involve a lot of it, you are just kind of there in case things get rough and to fail rolls out of your specialty. It is another reason I like magic tanks (or even techno-tanks [with high willpower/firewall and a Pain Editor Echo]), in that they have something else they can do that is of value. 
« Last Edit: <02-28-18/2322:11> by FST_Gemstar »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #9 on: <02-28-18/2333:43> »
I find the tank concept to be a very problematic one. We lack the mechanics necessary to make tank fulfill their role (IE Aggro Control). Just being able to roll 40 dice of armor may make you tank but it's also pushes the limits at the table.  It's not all that complicated to build these  concepts I just haven't seen one done in a way that I feel like is actually worth bringing along, and Raising the steaks the gm needs to bring to threaten that isn't going help the rest of the table.

Usually, the GM doesn't need to make sure the enemy they go up against must be able to kill all of the PCs.  As you said, there's no MMO aggro control, and it's not like one man with 40 damage resist dice can single-handedly do the job if everyone else on his team dies.  So having one guy who's tougher than diamond isn't really a problem.  I've never felt a need to make sure there's some monster who can cut the troll tank in half when a normal guy with a shotgun can still just aim at the decker and fire twice if the troll isn't doing his job.

On a team, the primary combatant's job is threat removal.  They have to be able to immediately, without hesitation, engage whatever the biggest threat is and eliminate it before it can start taking out teammates.  Towards this goal, having incredible defenses helps, as long as you don't begin sacrificing offense too much.  After all, if you literally do nothing but not die then you're not use to the team.  The only thing that matters is "can I take out the threats without them taking me out, before they take my team out"?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-01-18/1312:54> »
FST_Gemstar I'm trying to wrap my head around your example build.

I don't see how you're getting a 11 STR Cyberarm with a STR 3 character.  With STR 3, your augmented maximum is 7.  And per the cyberlimb customization rules you can't customize beyond that?  +3 levels of STR enhancement gets to 10...

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-01-18/1320:04> »
I always thought cyberlimb can get to natural max without the +4 rule. If not, my str 3 dwarf would have limbs capped at 10, not 11.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-01-18/1329:05> »
Customization: You can have your cyberlimb tailored
and customized to your frame and musculature. Customization
lets you add to your limb’s base Strength and/or
Agility ratings. Each increase of either attribute increases
the limb’s Availability and cost. If either of your limb’s attributes
are increased beyond your natural maximum for
that attribute, you can’t use the cyberlimb (so don’t overdo
it)
, but you can still add cyberlimb enhancements. You
customize your cyberlimb when you buy it; you can’t customize
it after purchase, but you can add enhancements.

Hrm.  On RE-re-reading it, I suppose you could read "natural maximum" as "racial maximum" rather than "the rules-established usual augmented limit".  Chalk another one up as an example of the the ambiguous nature of non-technical language.

It never even crossed my mind that it might be referring to the racial max... but now that you point it out I bet you're right... it probably is.
« Last Edit: <03-01-18/1336:02> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #13 on: <03-01-18/1432:41> »
Yeah this a point that caused me a lot of confusion. I used to be really not sure but if you consider going other direction it makes limb pretty worthless, so I'm good the maximum.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-01-18/1556:06> »
So, assuming =Y= is no object... is there any game mechanic that'd punish you for having 1 str but cyberlimbs all at racial maximums?