NEWS

[SR5] Book of the Lost

• 40 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <02-10-17/1840:57> »
From Tumblr:

The Bastard, upright. A man in clown makeup stands in a broken skyjacker window over another man on the verge of a long plummet. Near the clown’s hand, a white rose.Opportunity, adventure, but also mania and frenzy. 404, upright. A woman crouches on the edge of a rooftop, holding a white rose. In the distance is the image of a woman in a red dress. Destruction, failure, collapse. Queen of coins. A woman in a red dress, lounging amidst luxury. She has material wealth but emptiness of soul. Upright, she is opulence, magnificent. Inverse is suspense, fear.

Opportunity and adventure abounds. Destruction and failure loom. Will the result be magnificence—or fear?

Book of the Lost takes the intricate art of the Sixth World Tarot and turns it into stories and campaigns for Shadowrun players. Full of plot hooks and adventure seeds, this book is a treasure trove of ideas, mysteries, and enigmas that can make memorable games. Open it and explore knowledge that had been lost but is now, here, rediscovered. And waiting for you. Book of the Lost is for use with Shadowrun, Fifth Edition, and can easily be used with Shadowrun: Anarchy with minor NPC adjustments.

Some pages:

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #2 on: <03-11-17/0738:10> »
I wasn't expecting it so soon, but the book just appeared on DTRPG.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #3 on: <03-11-17/1418:38> »
Thanks an arcology podcast tweet I saw this was out.  So wish catalyst would announce their releases.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

&#24525;

« Reply #4 on: <03-11-17/1817:32> »
So its Tarot Deck the Manuel? Is that it?

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #5 on: <03-12-17/1820:05> »
Campaign booked based on the Tarot showing up in 6th world.  Just did first pass so far, pretty
interesting.  Really looking forward to sitting down with some free time tomorrow and digging into it.  It's definitely scratched an itch felt has been missing from SR for awhile. Can't wait to get a copy of the deck.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-13-17/1703:31> »
I wasn't expecting it so soon, but the book just appeared on DTRPG.

Any word on it being released at the Catalyst Game Labs Store? I've been purchasing from there recently, though I also really like DTRPG.  :D
I'm hoping for a printed release....

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-15-17/0650:06> »
I like how the emergence of the Sixth World Tarot forces the various shadow communities to come together, bringing a bit of the feeling of the old Shadowland back, as Bull himself remarks.
There's even a couple of posts by The Laughing Man! (Things sure have become pretty sour between him and Frosty...)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« Reply #8 on: <03-15-17/1719:38> »
And the references to Brackhaven; between this, and what's in Anarchy and Cutting Aces, there isn't any in-depth information into what went down.  Would love to see that fleshed out more.

I like how the emergence of the Sixth World Tarot forces the various shadow communities to come together, bringing a bit of the feeling of the old Shadowland back, as Bull himself remarks.
There's even a couple of posts by The Laughing Man! (Things sure have become pretty sour between him and Frosty...)
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-17-17/1101:09> »
Any word on it being released at the Catalyst Game Labs Store? I've been purchasing from there recently, though I also really like DTRPG.  :D
I'm hoping for a printed release....

Now up for sale on the CGL Store.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #10 on: <03-17-17/2118:59> »
And the references to Brackhaven; between this, and what's in Anarchy and Cutting Aces, there isn't any in-depth information into what went down.  Would love to see that fleshed out more.

You're going to want to read the Seattle Boxset.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-18-17/1009:31> »
So, I finished reading Book of the Lost, and I really enjoyed it. Tons of adventure and campaign ideas formed in my mind as I was reading, which I think was the point, but it worked. A lot of the proposed stories and plots are very interesting (and I like how the writers used this opportunity to advance a few old metaplots as well). Even something that could have been silly (Taco Temple) was actually quite intriguing. And the puzzles and riddles hidden in the cards promise to be a lot of fun (and headaches) for runners and GM alike. Good job :)

That being said, there are two things I didn't like in the book:

- Lack of clear distinction between chapters that can be read by everyone or are written from an in-universe perspective and chapters that are GM only. It goes back and forth between the two, and there are times when, within the same section of the book, you really can't tell anymore if you're reading Game Information or Jackpoint posts. I prefer when the GM-only info is gathered at the end of the books in a dedicated section.

- The Power of the Cards chapter. While I understand the need to include something for players who want direct rewards from collecting the Tarot cards, these often feel random and sometimes even, well, silly ("Lofwyr’s ten-ton gold coin", really? Does it simply appear from thin air in front of the runners? Yet the first lines of the chapter clearly states teleportation is impossible in Shadowrun...) Fortunately this section is only 9 pages long.
(Groucho Marx)

TheDeep

• Newb
  • I'm not feeling like myself today. Maybe I'm you?
« Reply #12 on: <03-19-17/2355:58> »
So, I finished reading Book of the Lost, and I really enjoyed it. Tons of adventure and campaign ideas formed in my mind as I was reading, which I think was the point, but it worked. A lot of the proposed stories and plots are very interesting (and I like how the writers used this opportunity to advance a few old metaplots as well). Even something that could have been silly (Taco Temple) was actually quite intriguing. And the puzzles and riddles hidden in the cards promise to be a lot of fun (and headaches) for runners and GM alike. Good job :)

Thank you so much!

:D

TheDeep

• Newb
  • I'm not feeling like myself today. Maybe I'm you?
« Reply #13 on: <03-20-17/1452:06> »
I'm open to questions anyone might have about the mini-campaigns inside of Book of the Lost.

In beta writing, the BOL was simply called the "GM's Guide to the Sixth World Tarot", so it is  obviously not complete without the Sixth World Tarot.

I've have already made one post under "Book of the Lost Errata" relating to two mis-printed campaigns.

There may be other questions GMs may have that I can answer (and some I cannot). Echo and I worked extremely hard to fill the Tarot with puzzles that can be turned into campaign ideas. BOL doesn't even cover all of the puzzles we created, leaving some for GMs to do with as they wish, and leaving others for potential future campaign products.

Ask away! If anything turns out to be errata, we can add it to the Errata Forum.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #14 on: <03-20-17/1545:40> »
Is book of the lost going to make much sense without the tarot?  Or do we have to buy the tarot too if we really want to make sense out of things?  By any chance is there a pdf of the tarot, that I can pretend is just an art file?  Or better yet, is the art just available as a pdf somehow?

(I have an irrational irritation with tarot.  I’m all for more adventure ideas and am not at all against some cool art or meta-plot movement -- but the thought of buying tarot cards makes me shudder.  I obviously don’t want to buy the adventures book on its own if it doesn’t make sense that way.  But I really don't see shelling out however much money for physical cards that will just irritate me by being around the house. )