NEWS

Motercycles Recreated as Lions and Tigers and Wolves Oh yah!

• 44 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #15 on: <09-29-11/0037:48> »
I don't understand this obsession with 'mechs.

It's more or less military gear. It's totally unsuited to most runner situations because it's so overt. Like driving a main battle tank down the street.

As soon as one shows up the opposition will be calling for heavy backup. And let's face it, most of the folks a runner team is likely to face, that HAVE backup, can probably call in enough firepower to flatten said 'mech if they feel they need it.

This is Shadowrun, not Battletech.

-k

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <09-29-11/0042:06> »
Exactly.  You see one, you send a guy for the one-shot or four-pack missile launcher -- what is it now?  Aztechnology Striker for the one, and a doubling of the volume on the other, the Mitsubishi Yakusoku MRL.  One or two shots as the animal-bike-mech deals with the fence and the trench, and you can inspect the debris for clues.

Sometimes the whole 'shadow' part gets lost in translation, I guess.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <09-29-11/0150:03> »
They have too see it to shoot it thats the main purposse  to get Chameleon Coating just have the rider geared up too.
Or it is just your ride to and from the job.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-29-11/0156:28> »
Chameleon Coating only imposes a perception modifier. It's not actual invisibility.

A mech is going to be receiving enough penalties to stealth that even a mook might be able to tell it's there, even if he can't make out details. This isn't even counting stuff like radar and ultrasound, which will be totally unaffected by Chameleon Cloaking.

On a Shadowrun scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being total serious black trenchcoat and 10 being the wildest pink mohawk games, mechs as regular runner toys tend to sit at maybe 12-14. At that point it really stops being Shadowrun.

-k
« Last Edit: <09-29-11/0159:35> by KarmaInferno »

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <09-29-11/0216:41> »
When the ---it hits the fan I want military grade hoop saving to come and at lest pull the fire from my bacon bits so i might run away to spend/earn neuyen another day

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-29-11/0228:33> »
Well, do what ya want.

I'm just of the opinion that it just doesn't fit the theme of the game.

And it's likely to get your character killed. Painting a bullseye on yourself is usually not a good thing.

-k

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-29-11/0231:58> »
Sounds like you want a merc campaign.  Sure, it hits the fan now and then, but a good shadowrunner is a smart shadowrunner -- which means s/he follows the 7P Principles.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Excellent example of this during the play of 'Moving Day' at Dragon-Con.

[spoiler]We'd planned out multiple distractions if/when they became necessary, and once infiltrated into the compound, set those up which required on-site use.  When the technomancer girl alerted security, I put three AV rounds through the second-floor window (might've been overkill, but hey), KO'd the protesting girl with a patch, handed the family down to the dressed-up-as-a-guard troll, and the mage stunbolted the one guard who saw us getting away.  The other guards in the compound chased after our distraction -- a car from the compound hacked and taken over by the rigger, and sent on a wild goose chase while we trundled sedately towards our exit strategy ...[/spoiler]

If you don't plan for getting discovered for the street scum you are, you probably will be -- and will probably have to shoot your way out at that point.  Fake IDs, supporting widgets, no-see-ums, hacking feeds, they're all part and parcel of not having to climb onto some modified-to-hell-and-back walker-motorcycle and clank your ass out of there...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #22 on: <09-29-11/0245:33> »
@Karma Inferno & TWO: Sorry, but I do think you're kind of overreacting.
Of the modifications done to this vehicle, only 2 are illegal and neither of those (Chameleon Coating and Retractable Spurs) are obvious when you look at the vehicle, in fact they're created not to be obvious.
I'll give it to you, this isn't a low profile vehicle and it's bound to turn some heads. But there's nothing at all which warrants the first response of anyone who sees it being "Call in an airstrike!" or "Get Thor powered up!".
It's a perfectly legal vehicle to drive around in Seattle or Denver or wherever you're running and other than not being able to blend in the traffic, having a mobile version of "Distinctive Style" and being pulled over at every security checkpoint, there shouldn't be any problem driving... riding this.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-29-11/1613:06> »
@Karma Inferno & TWO: Sorry, but I do think you're kind of overreacting.
Of the modifications done to this vehicle, only 2 are illegal and neither of those (Chameleon Coating and Retractable Spurs) are obvious when you look at the vehicle, in fact they're created not to be obvious.
I'll give it to you, this isn't a low profile vehicle and it's bound to turn some heads. But there's nothing at all which warrants the first response of anyone who sees it being "Call in an airstrike!" or "Get Thor powered up!".
It's a perfectly legal vehicle to drive around in Seattle or Denver or wherever you're running and other than not being able to blend in the traffic, having a mobile version of "Distinctive Style" and being pulled over at every security checkpoint, there shouldn't be any problem driving... riding this.

You are essentially correct, Xzy.  The point that I, at least, am trying to make is 'why have the penalties of Distinctive Style if you don't need to?'  It's the nail that sticks up that gets hammered.

Gangs are one of the most talked-about and focussed-upon criminal problems in the US today.  Why do they get so much attention?  Well, besides the indiscriminate violence, the drugs, the assaults, the murders, etc. etc. etc., it's the fact that gangs are so identifiable.  It's practically a sin for a gang member to not wear his colors, to not tag his 'hood, to drive around in anything that doesn't scream 'gang banger'.  Law enforcement therefore keeps an eye on anyone wearing those colors, spraypainting walls in those patterns, cars with that sort of style.  Compare and contrast to the perpetrator of the most successful investor fraud in history -- Bernie Madoff.  Yes, he bought ridiculously expensive things and lived like a king (things that should tip you off anyhow, but hey), but he didn't go around in a pimped-out '67 Chevy that bounced up and down to the beat of the music.

If you're a shadowrunner, you should be moving as far under the radar as possible.  When you pull up to your target, you shouldn't be drawing attention.  Guards shouldn't be saying, 'Will ya look at that!!'  They should be saying, 'Great, another delivery.'

If your character is female, be a mom with a minivan, a baby, and a baby carriage.  Nobody looks twice at them -- and often help them out.  Not only will the guards be less likely to stop you at the gate, they'll help you in the door ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #24 on: <09-29-11/1818:37> »
If your character is female, be a mom with a minivan, a baby, and a baby carriage.  Nobody looks twice at them -- and often help them out.  Not only will the guards be less likely to stop you at the gate, they'll help you in the door ...
^ Which is exactly what we're doing in the PbP going on here ;)

And I'm glad we agree then:
It doesn't get artillery fired your way, but it's not really the best way to be inconspicuous. (<-- spelled that right in one try, I did!)
What it is though, is an very cool vehicle which should probably earn you as much BP in 'Distinctive Style' than you had to spend to buy it.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <09-30-11/0337:45> »
And I'm glad we agree then:
It doesn't get artillery fired your way, but it's not really the best way to be inconspicuous. (<-- spelled that right in one try, I did!)
What it is though, is an very cool vehicle which should probably earn you as much BP in 'Distinctive Style' than you had to spend to buy it.

Not immediately, no, and not if you're just driving down the street.  If you're driving it towards the front gate of a surrounded-by-farmland corporate facility, by all means they should start warming up the autocannon, because their own corporate people don't use that sort of thing, and neither do any of the local yokels.  If you're driving it through the arroyos and badlands towards a corp zero-zone, they are definitely going to take notice.  Besides, the electronic vehicle and its EM radiation is going to be spotted far, far before a small group of horses -- or at least something will be more readily done about it.

I prefer other distinctive styles.  'The X-32 experimental wave modulator is missing, and none of our guards remember what happened between 3 and 4 am.'  "Damn, that must be that Hawatari I keep hearing about..."
Pananagutan & End/Line

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <09-30-11/1028:44> »
So just add as much Signature Masking as you can and tun on the Chameleon coating ride slow to keep down the dust trail stop at the outer perimeter and start spoofing the workes.

gfrobbin84

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <09-30-11/1745:53> »
So just add as much Signature Masking as you can and tun on the Chameleon coating ride slow to keep down the dust trail stop at the outer perimeter and start spoofing the workes.

But what is the point of investing all that Nuyen into it if you are gonna have such limited use of it?

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <10-03-11/1217:04> »

But what is the point of investing all that Nuyen into it if you are gonna have such limited use of it?
Well thats not the end of it. You spoof the defenses get in park near your exit point  Chameleon active then on your way out haveing droped off/picked up the packagge Hopfuly without notice you get gone if not you cats pilots bring them to you pounce on your foes shred them  and you mount up and ride out.

I have got the idea (i don't know how original it is) of installing in the tail a retrackable monowire whip. Thoughts?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <10-04-11/0115:20> »
... sounds like a brilliant idea.  I'm glad you're a part of it!!   :P
Pananagutan & End/Line