NEWS

Outfit question.

• 11 Replies

Azriel Ragia

• Newb
« on: <12-11-13/2128:43> »
Okay.  I'm finding myself stymied of late and need to once more ask my fellow shadowrunners advice.

What exactly does a Urban Explorers Jumpsuit look like?  The description says "brightly colored". But is that the only option or can it be bought in less.....obvious...coloring?.  I'm trying to figure out a good set up for armors that I both utilitarian and viable...but with style.  My idea is something along the lines of an outfit that can be worn under a trench coat without standing out too much.  I would like to have something more stylish then simply armored clothing or an armored vest.  And the Armored Jacket seems like th most "bang for your buck". But I would like to be a little more original then simply buying the most numerically efficient item.  Call me nuts but I like a little style and flare.

Speaking of looks...what exactly does an Armored Jacket look like?

Thanks in Advance. 
Azriel Ragia.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-11-13/2149:48> »
The 4.0 book ATTITUDE talks a lot about clothing and fashion. ARSENAL also has an entire section of armored clothing styles/options

As for my opinion, the urban explorer's suit always looked like a bright green jogging suit in my mind complete with walk-man ^_~

As for the armored jacked i had always assumed was exactly as it sounds, a large bulky coat full of metal plates, Kevlar disks, ext
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-11-13/2225:38> »
I picture the Urban Explorer looking something like. .  .

Edit:  Link seemed to be malfunctioning for some, so to avoid a duplicate post, this is edited, next one is below.
« Last Edit: <12-12-13/0111:52> by Agonar »
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-11-13/2252:49> »
I picture the Urban Explorer looking something like. .  .

Not indentical, of course, but similar.

when i hit the quote button i see the link you attempted to share, but it is just blank space on the forum post :/
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-12-13/0111:03> »
weird.. shows up for me..  in case others can't see it as well, how about this

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #5 on: <12-12-13/0324:24> »
Hoi!

Note that in the "Splintered State" adventure...

This spoiler describes 1 type of adversaries from said adventure:
[spoiler]Ninjas, described as wearing, essentially, shinobi shōzoku (the iconic ninja suit), have urban explorer jumpsuits in their stat-blocks. They must be really enjoying the built-in music player.[/spoiler]

Hope that helps)
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-12-13/1236:07> »
I always pictured it as a baggy late-80's/early-90's style jumpsuit with pockets all over and big slashes of neon colors.  Like an old-school onesie ski suit, but with kevlar and carbon fiber and impact gel instead of insulation.

A few examples of possible designs and styes:

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #7 on: <12-13-13/0425:01> »

This is precisely what I think of.  Super-baggies such as Anarkitty shows seem ... too loose.  Remember, the UE Jumpsuit is made for people on the very-very-fast go - messengers and the like.  You'd want them sleek, snug, armored, and not liable to be caught on anything, at least not if you could help it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Godwyn

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <12-13-13/1350:41> »
Its much easier to get a full range of motion in something a bit loose rather than a suit as tight as the one she wears in Kill Bill.  For someone interested in speed, maneuverability, and comfort the looser ones are what a person would actually wear.  Anything that tight has to be thin to stretch easily and to not bunch up around joints.  That doesn't sound particularly well armored.

As for what characters wear, instead of what would realistically work better, probably like the one from Kill Bill.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <12-13-13/2041:48> »
Going by how fabrics have advanced, I'd be willing to give fifty years of hyperadvancement the idea that the joints can flex enough - have appropriate allowances, flexible/stretchable inserts, that sort of thing - for a full range of movement.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-14-13/0526:25> »
If I have to run around in one of those that Anarkitty put up, I would also ask hazard pay.  Running around in something like that is asking to be shot.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-14-13/1019:43> »
If I have to run around in one of those that Anarkitty put up, I would also ask hazard pay.  Running around in something like that is asking to be shot.  :)
Another incentive to make sure your Docwagon contract is paid up.