NEWS

5e dnd vs 6e SR. Seeking simplicity and why edge failed,

• 124 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #90 on: <07-06-20/0956:56> »
The cap of 2 Edge per round does indeed seem to be a silly/pointless restriction.  Certainly an unfun rule.  Lots of reasons why it shouldn't exist, and I can't think of any good reason either why it DOES.

So, it's not like I completely disagree with your view.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #91 on: <07-06-20/1008:56> »
I'm guessing it exists to not make the big Edge moves happen every single turn. Which is what I designed this for: https://shadowland.blog/2020/05/06/houserules-edge-cinematic-play/
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #92 on: <07-06-20/1020:10> »
I'm guessing it exists to not make the big Edge moves happen every single turn. Which is what I designed this for: https://shadowland.blog/2020/05/06/houserules-edge-cinematic-play/

I suppose so too, but what gets me is I really don't see any harm in allowing edge boosts every turn (assuming you can sustain that kind of edge generation).  In fact, the absence of easy access to edge moves ended up facilitating much of the grief on display in this and so many other threads: they come from a dislike of the idea of exchanging 5e's dice pool modifications for 6e's edge rewards.  When you're throwing "power up moves" much more freely, combat is about those power up moves and edge generation (and denial) makes so much more sense.  When those expenditures are rare, you're spending most of the time scrounging for Edge for little (or no) benefit.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #93 on: <07-06-20/1022:22> »
With my system, you can still do small Edge Boosts constantly. But your gain from turn to turn is limited.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #94 on: <07-06-20/1257:56> »
As I've pointed out before in my group it was playtested as a limit of 2 per action NOT 2 per round and it makes a big difference... n9t sure why it ended up per round and highly suggest anyone not quite happy about Edge economy try the per action limit and see how it works for you
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« Reply #95 on: <07-06-20/1740:14> »
The cap of 2 Edge per round does indeed seem to be a silly/pointless restriction.  Certainly an unfun rule.  Lots of reasons why it shouldn't exist, and I can't think of any good reason either why it DOES.

My guess would be faux-simplicity.  If you can gain edge 5-7 times in a turn with potentially multiple edge each time, then you have to do multiple edge calculations for each and every one of those times in a turn.  I'm not saying I agree with it but that's just my guess as to the reason.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #96 on: <07-06-20/1741:55> »
At worst you get attacked 3x by 15 enemies total, and your DR won't change, so that's quite doable.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #97 on: <07-06-20/2135:01> »
While there is no doubt that 6e without the 2 edge limit would be better, it still wouldn't resolve the AR/DR problem, it would simply remove the second most likely failure condition of AR/DR edge gain.  But it's worth stressing even with a Large chunk of the 6e supporters behind it, I seriously doubt it will ever make its way into RAW, just illustrating that the devs are seriously out of touch with the community.  As far as I am concerned without AR/DR being more directly mechanically connected to the outcome of the triggering combat roll, the no armor example will continue to hold true, and thus AR/DR has no meaningful combat value.
« Last Edit: <07-06-20/2202:19> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #98 on: <07-07-20/0016:18> »
While there is no doubt that 6e without the 2 edge limit would be better, it still wouldn't resolve the AR/DR problem, it would simply remove the second most likely failure condition of AR/DR edge gain.  But it's worth stressing even with a Large chunk of the 6e supporters behind it, I seriously doubt it will ever make its way into RAW, just illustrating that the devs are seriously out of touch with the community.  As far as I am concerned without AR/DR being more directly mechanically connected to the outcome of the triggering combat roll, the no armor example will continue to hold true, and thus AR/DR has no meaningful combat value.

Even if they fixed the AR/DR on top of that would it fix it? I don't think so, I think the core edge building/edge move mechanic is a bad design idea.  It doesn't matter how well you execute a bad idea.  And sadly it is so intertwined into the core system I can't see them ever fixing the system.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #99 on: <07-07-20/0402:17> »
Love how ya´ll just collectively shifting from bargaining to depression over just a couple of posts   ::)

"Fixing Edge Limits wouldn´t help because AR-DR is bad" 

"Fixing AR-DR wouldn´t help because Edge is bad." 

"You can´t remove Edge from Core. Everything is just so bad"  :-[

"They wouldn´t change anything anyways."

Are there even any of these fabled "6th Ed Apologists" left here?  :P
« Last Edit: <07-07-20/0657:14> by Finstersang »

dezmont

• Chummer
« Reply #100 on: <07-07-20/0405:20> »

Even if they fixed the AR/DR on top of that would it fix it? I don't think so, I think the core edge building/edge move mechanic is a bad design idea.  It doesn't matter how well you execute a bad idea.  And sadly it is so intertwined into the core system I can't see them ever fixing the system.

Other truly excellent systems have alternative goals for attacks than pure damage that resemble mid-combat resource generation. I don't think the core idea is rotten, but I can't see the current implementation ever being good without a rework so serious that it is borderline a system change rather than errata.

Star Wars Saga Edition's condition track was a great example of this, it was generally slower at killing than pure damage, but dramatically reduces enemy combat abilities after a solid hit, meaning characters who focus less on damage and more on dastardly strikes like Scoundrels, Commando or martial artist spec soldiers, or Counsular or Sentinel style Jedi (or jedi who take some of the more esoteric abilities), still contibute to fights quite significantly. It creates a great axis of balance where gimmicks that CANT have the same damage as more specialized ones (like martial arts, or misfortune scoundrels making sneak attacks with pistols at a very low investment, which really shouldn't compare to big weapons wielded by specialized characters) still have a clear upside (The martial artist deals respectable damage but also will give your opponent down a track 1-3 steps that applies the following penalties to all rolls and defenses, -1, -3, -5, -10, -20, and knocked out, and scoundrels deal low damage but almost always move you down 1 on that track for a mere 1 talent) that make them attractive: damage PCs also knock people around on the track, but its a LOT easier for your Mando or Jedi to thrash that Sith Lord after the scoundrel fired a stun bolt straight at their back, and despite the two 'types' of damage not actually contributing to the same goal directly (As if someone is at -20 on the track and at 1 HP, they are still up, so going down one path doesn't help you necessarily knock your enemy out sooner), it was generally optimal to have some people able to really consistently apply condition track damage even though regular damage damage was superior because really strong enemies were very hard to kill without them eating those penalties. After all, it reduced armor class in that system as well, so as soon as the condition track was lowered your Jedi Blender started to hit WAY more.

One noble-scoundrel hybrid prestige class, the chariltan, was literally created to allow more 'pacifistic' characters to knock people down on that track just by talking in combat (though usually they attacked as well), and it made it a lot easier to create bonus effects that were not just 'pure damage.'

A big problem with SR6 is that gaining an edge is mostly a means to the same end (damage) rather than an alternative goal or method of quantifying more supportive efforts in combat. Which is weird, because something like the condition track and a greater focus on 'control' rather than damage would be a good way to make weapons that traditionaly underperform in SR (like pistols) viable, and would help move mages out of 'big damage' so Samurai could shine more. It would even be a great way to balance soak samurais rather than just remove them (because now, yes, the samurai is soaking tons of damage, but SOME hypothetical control thing is racking up on them due to the AR coming in that makes things harder and harder for them).

If your already in an ok position in a fight, more edge is unlikely to make a huge difference, the way SR fights work mean fights tend to not be close. If your not doing well in a fight, its both unlikely you would even generate edge in the first place, and its unlikely the edge would make a big difference. And, again, its so hard to plan around edge. The way it tracks to old armor options means that AR should really be linked to big guns (so that you don't mysteriously fail to generate edge vs a pistol when you would a rifle) but it WANTS to be higher on lower DV guns to create a give-take system (Again, it would be interesting if pistols were really good at generating edge). If soak was back and edge wasn't about armor but like... how dynamic the gun was (so giant honking weapons tended to give away edge, while slick lower DV ones in their category tended to get them more), and heavy armor tended to not have good DR but instead good soak (with light armor having lower soak but good DR, you could do this with 'ware too, it would be a neat way to make Orthoskin and Dermal Plating different for example), and there were ways to use edge to 'crack' soak tanks (and spirits), I think the system would work better.

As is, it doesn't serve a real purpose in the game. It is such a 'first draft' style mechanic rather than a cohesive system to build combat around, which is a shame because... they built combat around it.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #101 on: <07-07-20/0837:23> »
As is, it doesn't serve a real purpose in the game. It is such a 'first draft' style mechanic rather than a cohesive system to build combat around, which is a shame because... they built combat around it.

Ah, that reminds me that I still want to finish my Kill Code review on reddit. Next Up: The MA section with loads and loads of new Edge Actions that nobody will every use because they are

just.

so.

bad.

dezmont

• Chummer
« Reply #102 on: <07-07-20/1459:52> »

Ah, that reminds me that I still want to finish my Kill Code review on reddit. Next Up: The MA section with loads and loads of new Edge Actions that nobody will every use because they are

just.

so.

bad.

They are in a weird catch-22 spot with edge actions.

This system 'wants' edge actions to be a big reward to encourage you to really care about AR and DR. But tools to manipulate AR and DR rapidly get more expensive. This is normal in all RPGs, you WANT continual specialization to have diminishing returns (It is easier, for example, in 5e to get a smartlink than implanted smartlink, implanted smartlink than a reflex recorder, a reflex recorder than optimized cyberlimbs, optimized cyberlimbs than splicing full adept into your build to go burnout, ect), but that only works in a system where you can both be reasonably sure of what each investment gives you, and when going past what you 'need' is useful. In SR5, even though you don't know their EXACT defense values, you generally know by grunt type how good they are likely to get. Like you may have unusually agile Renraku Ninjas for PR3 that ditch the armored jackets for clothing or catsuits or whatever but make up for it a bit with dodge, but you have a general understanding of how tough and hard to hit a PR3 is, so you can pretty safely evaluate guns and your attack pool in relation to those targets. This, contrary to what people sometimes think, encourages people optimizing PCs to NOT go all in on something. But the second aspect of 'safe' investment, that going past what you need still has value, protects you if you decide to make the sub-optimal choice to push to 22 automatics: You know it helps you in those weird edge cases, it gives you a bit more consistency to your 1 hit kill rate, and it lets you make split attacks vs chumps. Its still way better to hit the breakpoint where you 1 hit kill most of the time and then stop, but your not getting nothing. Even being under by 'less' still helps you, even though, again, its way better to in SR5 secure a 90% kill rate on attacks

But because AR and DR violate both these concepts: You can't tell a target's AR and DR at ALL based on their PR type past a certain point, and you get NOTHING from blowing past or going under by less unless you blow past by a full 4 or go under by less than 4 when you would have, that you no longer can predict anything or consistently get edge from attacks.

This means, despite the game putting so much focus on edge generation, nothing important can be gated behind it. SR6 would probably be better if the basic attack roll was really weak but edge actions did really powerful stuff at 1-2 edge, so that generating edge to do your special attacks was really important to winning fights, but they actually went the opposite direction and made edge less important. Again, there are ways to fix it so that edge actually works as a central combat resolution mechanic and isn't just... kinda there... but its way more substantial than errata.

I think that is way more relevant than 'armor does nothing' (again, based on my evaluations it is kinda really important to listen to your grandma and put on your armored jacket to avoid catching cold). The deeper problem is the system is so integral to fights yet it isn't actually accomplishing anything interesting to alter behavior in a substantial way, or to serve as a thing to think about, or enabling some other interesting system. Yes, wearing your armored jacket is important, but beyond that you legitimately shouldn't care, and because you shouldn't care suddenly the main thing trying to prevent SR combat from becoming a slugfest where you just huck pools at each other over and over again doesn't work and its just a knock down brawl. And because the design space offered by dicepool penalties is gone (not because they were too complicated, but because people got confused by the really bad choice to let them span some odd 20 pages jumping around in theme) you lose a lot of things that made combat a bit more nuanced, like old multi-attack (New multi-attack is kinda... way too good as many have pointed out), shooting through sensors, through barriers, around cover, using a sub-optimal fire mode for your RC, with a called shot... don't mean as much anymore. Likewise, setting up things like smoke, covering fire, obstacles, knockdowns, debuff magic, ect all used to be really useful because the effect of popping thermal smoke as your action while you had an ultrasound sensor mask was both A: Cool as hell as you ran around killing people with your Ghost in a Shell Mask, and B: Super strong in allowing you to avoid too much retaliatory fire as a non-soak tank because it created a zone you probably were going to be suppressed in but which didn't result in as many direct attacks.

If the concern was simplifying and better codifying things for newbies, they should have cut a ton of the worthless fluff about modifiers and centralized them. They also shoulda done stuff like codify smoke grenades and the like better, because most of the issue was wishy washy writing. If they wanted to move in a new direction where you never could feel safe from damage, and instead being 'tough' or 'deadly' meant generating a new resource, that generation should have been way less arbitrary and more meaningful so that building around it made sense.

I think the failure to do either of these things, to have a real goal at all, is a way more fundamental problem than 'does the system accomplish what it is trying to do?' Because you can fix AR and DR pretty easily if its just undertuned or overtuned or whatever. But if a system isn't trying to do anything meaningful in the first place then you have a deeper, harder to solve problem that almost scuttles the edition before it starts because the fixes require you to change so much about the core rules to find any sort of meaning or value in something that never attempted to have meaning or value in the first place.
« Last Edit: <07-07-20/1521:08> by dezmont »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #103 on: <07-07-20/1548:10> »

Other truly excellent systems have alternative goals for attacks than pure damage that resemble mid-combat resource generation. I don't think the core idea is rotten, but I can't see the current implementation ever being good without a rework so serious that it is borderline a system change rather than errata.

I've seen deck building systems in other RPGs which I actually liked quite a bit.  The difference with those systems is either the deck building was the system, or it was attached to a fast and simple resolution system, usually far more narrative than SR as well. Which is why I say it was bad design here. The core SR mechanic is too robust and complex to add a deck building mini game onto as part of its resolution system. It doesn't matter how well it is executed it will always be jamming the gears instead of oiling them.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #104 on: <07-07-20/1610:45> »
No one has ever called me a 6e apologist.  :o

That said 6e could be fixed. I don't think it will ever happen, but it's certainly possible. You would end up re-writing a decent chunk of the core. The whole edge system isn't a horrible idea, it's execution is just bad.  But as Dez points out dramatic resource generation is a good idea and can work very well, FFG, Scion 2, all include very good examples, I wouldn't have picked Saga edition, but whatever. It just happens that 6e failed to build and integrate it, and most of the new stuff is really just making the problem worse.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking