NEWS

A Clockwork Timebomb?

• 342 Replies

SwampFox

• Newb
  • This city is my Swamp, just try and dig me out.
« on: <02-18-12/0015:11> »
Okay, so it's been pretty thoroughly established that Clockwork has a hatred for Netcat that goes straight into outright obsession.  And that, at this point, he's willing to do nearly anything to hurt her.

My question is this.  What would happen if Clockwork went after her and Slamm-O!'s kid?  What if he killed the kid, or turned him over to MCT as a guinea pig since he's the son of a technomancer?  Because it seems to me that Clockwork is pretty firmly in bed with MCT now as their personal TM-Catcher, and that MCT has yet to actually give up their little experiments.  They've just gotten better at hiding them.

Would something like that provoke a storm of retribution from the JackPoint community as a whole?  I mean, would that provoke FastJack himself to pull out JackHammer and go a-hunting?  Would Kane weigh anchor and put on a full head of steam for the hob's last known location?  Because I think that a lot of the Jackpointers actually regard the tyke as something of a surrogate nephew/grandson due to their ties to one (or both) of the parents.  And a lot of them have lost family and loved ones to the Corps.  To have one of their own willingly hand over a baby, the child of not one, but two JackPointers, to the Corps with full knowledge of what is likely to happen to this kid...  I think that Clockwork's rating would be the last of his worries.

But I want to hear what everyone else thinks.
« Last Edit: <02-18-12/1157:39> by SwampFox »

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #1 on: <02-18-12/0052:45> »
Their's a few that would go off on him. Not everyone though, I don't think the harder ones like Kane or Thorn would really care.

Fastjack and Pistons would help not sure of the others.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-18-12/0114:23> »
Kane would probably hunt him down just because it's an excuse to kill someone, I think.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #3 on: <02-18-12/0139:16> »
I can almost guarantee Jonny No wouldn't help, and might even defend Clockwork's actions. He seems to fall on the darker side of the shadows, given his fiction and commentary. Not toxic or twisted, just amoral.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #4 on: <02-18-12/0950:26> »
On the "Kill Clockwork" side:
FastJack, Netcat, Slamm-0! of a certainty. You've got Netcat, then you've got Puck. You'll have Pistons and Kane almost assuredly (though the latter is technically a hunch based on my personal, non-canon belief that he considers himself the "adopted uncle"). If you bring in Pistons, you've got Hard Exit and Kay Street Irregular as part of the package. Hannibelle's not big on the whole "turn someone into an experiment" thing. You'd probably get /dev/grrl and Bull. Strikes me as something that Mihoshi Oni wouldn't put up with much, either.

Less than a dozen, but that's still a group of people and a combined skill-set that I would not want to have a hate-on for me.

On the "Defend Clockwork" side:
Haze, Jimmy No, Sticks. Those are the three that come to mind immediately in defense of Clockwork, though they might not necessarily condone what he did to the kid in this hypothetical situation.

Most of the others won't get involved. Not to say they don't care, but they don't have a dog in the hunt, so to speak. There are quite a few of them that I could probably make a case either way regarding their involvement. Thorn, for instance, I could see coming down on either side, or neither. But consider that if he does get involved, either way, he's got an ace in the hole that we know about, but most of the JackPointers probably don't: He works for the Draco Foundation, and Nadja Daviar keeps an eye on him. She knows what he's doing, and if he comes down on Netcat's side and Daviar finds out about it...he could have considerable resources behind him all of a sudden.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <02-18-12/1048:46> »
Kane seems to be wanting a family, or at least some semblance of one now that he's "Adopted" /dev/grrl.  I highly doubt that "Uncle Kane" is going to sit around and do nothing.

Hell, probably already has an AK-97 with Powder Blue Furniture ready for the kid's first birthday.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-18-12/1105:29> »
On the "Kill Clockwork" side:
FastJack, Netcat, Slamm-0! of a certainty. You've got Netcat, then you've got Puck. You'll have Pistons and Kane almost assuredly (though the latter is technically a hunch based on my personal, non-canon belief that he considers himself the "adopted uncle"). If you bring in Pistons, you've got Hard Exit and Kay Street Irregular as part of the package. Hannibelle's not big on the whole "turn someone into an experiment" thing. You'd probably get /dev/grrl and Bull. Strikes me as something that Mihoshi Oni wouldn't put up with much, either.

Less than a dozen, but that's still a group of people and a combined skill-set that I would not want to have a hate-on for me.

On the "Defend Clockwork" side:
Haze, Jimmy No, Sticks. Those are the three that come to mind immediately in defense of Clockwork, though they might not necessarily condone what he did to the kid in this hypothetical situation.

Most of the others won't get involved. Not to say they don't care, but they don't have a dog in the hunt, so to speak. There are quite a few of them that I could probably make a case either way regarding their involvement. Thorn, for instance, I could see coming down on either side, or neither. But consider that if he does get involved, either way, he's got an ace in the hole that we know about, but most of the JackPointers probably don't: He works for the Draco Foundation, and Nadja Daviar keeps an eye on him. She knows what he's doing, and if he comes down on Netcat's side and Daviar finds out about it...he could have considerable resources behind him all of a sudden.

There are easier ways to commit suicide than picking on The Baby.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #7 on: <02-18-12/1138:21> »
There are easier ways to commit suicide than picking on The Baby.
Oh, without a doubt. Make that move, and your projected/expected lifespan becomes much easier to measure.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #8 on: <02-18-12/1139:25> »
I don't know if I agree with you on the count of Haze and Sticks, Viking. Sticks may do some questionable things in the course of bounty hunting, but he's shown in the past that he has a no-fly zone for Jackpoint members. He'd probably keep out of it. Haze had his major screwup with Tempo, and he has never shown any support for Clockwork's obsession. I think he'd probably sit it out, though there is a small chance he might join in, just to have a go at Pistons. But unlikely. Direct confrontation like that isn't his style. I can't say what Jimmy No would do.

Fastjack, Netcat, Slamm-O!, Kane, Puck, Pistons, /dev/grrl, Aufheben, Hard Exit, Kay St. Irregular, Bull, Mihoshi Oni, Kat o' Nine Tales, and Hannibelle all almost certainly would come down on Clockwork.

Others might not do anything to actively hunt Clockwork, but they aren't going to step in to support him, either, even the ones who distrust technomancers. A feud between two runners in a network like this is one thing. Involving their family is a whole other thing.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-18-12/1204:50> »
I don't know if I agree with you on the count of Haze and Sticks, Viking.
I was just quoting, lazy on my part TBH.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #10 on: <02-18-12/1452:19> »
what is interesting in this is that the Clockwork off color joke about TM hideouts being "piggy banks" did not produce a immediate reaction...

Btw, Puck seems to have a mean streak a mile wide. Not a guy to cross...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <02-18-12/1756:47> »
I didn't have a reply due to the "Don't feed the Matrix Troll" ideal.  Trying to handle him that way would have only set him off more.

And, well, every runner has some group they'll sell a safehouse for.  Don't tell me that some of them wouldn't sell a Humanis Safehouse to the Sons of Sauron or, even better, the local Po-Po for a fistful of Nuyen.  Or, hell, an organization of Pedos (EDIT:  Called “Opie”s on the Matrix, Unwired, Page 20) that set up their own safehouse to wait until the cops can't waste any more time on them...  I doubt there'd be a runner around that wouldn't love to sell them out, and I wouldn't want to know about them if they wouldn't.

That's sad, the criminals that shoot people in the face for money seem to have more morals and ethics than, well, anyone else in Shadowrun.
« Last Edit: <02-18-12/1807:03> by CanRay »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #12 on: <02-18-12/1916:55> »
Sorry Viking. Hadn't had any sleep when I wrote that.

CanRay, I'd say that the people who shoot people in the face for money, and isn't dead or in jail, would have morals and ethics, because the ones that don't tend to go up on a belltower after a while, and just start picking off random people.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #13 on: <02-18-12/2012:50> »
CanRay, I'd say that the people who shoot people in the face for money, and isn't dead or in jail, would have morals and ethics, because the ones that don't tend to go up on a belltower after a while, and just start picking off random people.

Or their more ethical brethren get sick of their drek and waste em. Only reason nobody thinks to do it to Clockwork yet is he's specifically prejudiced, not a total psycho. And Kane may be a psycho, but he's...strange.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <02-18-12/2037:27> »
Kane's insane, but he's a professional.  Anyhow, who is going to pick a fight with him?

Aside from the insanely naive /dev/grrl, that is?  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11