NEWS

Alamos 20K

• 72 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #30 on: <04-17-11/1416:48> »
William Gibson's blog, May 8, 2003:  http://williamgibsonblog.blogspot.com/2003_05_01_archive.html
SHADOWRUN: GAG ME WITH A SPOON

No relationship. No permission. Nothing. Nary a word exchanged, ever.

Except that the admixture of cyberspace and, spare me, *elves*, has always been more than I could bear to think about.

I've just been ignoring it for years, and hope to continue to.
So the guy's not a fan, and isn't terribly polite about it...but, oh well.  There ya go.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <04-17-11/1546:59> »
I stand corrected, thanks Critias.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #32 on: <04-17-11/1556:20> »
He isn't burning buildings down or suing anyone or anything...but, yeah.  He seems to disapprove of the mingling of worlds and ideas, to put it politely.  Over the years that I've seen his complaints, one that he keeps bringing up is that no one asked him or got his permission or any input -- which always struck me as a little strange.  It's not like Gibson and Gibson alone created the notion of cyberpunk, any more than Tolkien creation the idea of fantasy.

The implication that folks need Gibson's permission or blessing before writing any sort of material that involves someone plugging a computer into their head is...weird.

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #33 on: <04-17-11/1652:00> »
To be fair, Shadowrun wasn't just "any sort of material that involves someone plugging a computer into their head". The terms cyberdeck, street samurai, megacorporation, IC(E), "jacking in", "the sprawl", razor girl and numerous others were directly lifted from Neuromancer. (And homages are still popping up in the material 20 years later.) Denying the connection is like denying BattleTech's connection to Robotech/Macross. William Gibson has never attempted to go all Harmony Gold on FASA/WizKids/Topps and that, in and of itself, earns my respect. Who cares if he likes it?
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <04-17-11/1718:30> »
He's been pretty calm about it, but in the long run, I'm guessing Shadowrun has gotten far more people to read his books than the other way around.  I know that's the case for me.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #35 on: <04-18-11/1621:18> »
Same here.  I'd played ShadowRun before I'd ever heard of Neuromancer.

Kane

• Newb
  • Im not that pirate
« Reply #36 on: <04-19-11/2213:52> »
Eh Im really old I played the Neuromancer vid game read the book and play the rpg. Oh and they lifted a LOT from neruomancer.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #37 on: <04-20-11/0737:57> »
Eh Im really old I played the Neuromancer vid game read the book and play the rpg. Oh and they lifted a LOT from neruomancer.
Yeah, but what Cyberpunk game/book/movie/etc. didn't?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #38 on: <04-20-11/1224:50> »
I rip off more Film Noir, myself...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #39 on: <04-20-11/1654:56> »
I'm pretty sure if we all listed what we've personally used as inspiration we'd fill the entire board.  And then some.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #40 on: <04-22-11/1016:55> »
I'm pretty sure if we all listed what we've personally used as inspiration we'd fill the entire board.  And then some.

.....and get some of us strange looks thrown our way.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <04-22-11/1041:56> »
Not to mention put on watch lists.

I swear I must be on more than one.  At least I'm not on the No-Fly List yet...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <04-23-11/0159:47> »
I especially love that Alamos 20,000 is in reference to the 20,000 or so people in and around Los Alamos who would've been / were killed when Redondo Peak erupted. Especially since a lot of those people are folks the stereotypical A20K member wouldn't give a fuck about.

Oh, man. That whole thing needs to be explored more.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <04-23-11/1027:00> »
Why wouldn't they care?  They were normal people brutally killed by Awakened forces unleashed upon the world (i.e. the Great Ghost Dance).  Seems like those would be the kind of people A20K would be most concerned about.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #44 on: <04-23-11/1031:12> »
"If'n yew aren't wit us, yer aga'n us!  And if'n you git caught in th' blast, whall, yew only got dem damn 'wakened folk ta blame!"

EDIT:  ...

I need a shower now.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11