NEWS

Armor Stacking

• 13 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <03-12-19/1237:09> »
Run&Gun has option for stacking armors that have the Custom Fit feature (and maybe has to be of the same manufacture). All the coats that act as outer layer adds 1/3 of their AV to the base layer, but but not all brands have coats to add to the suits.

Does anyone house rule that as long as a base layer is Custom Fit you can stack it with a Custom Fit coat of another brand?

And in extension, perhaps allow any base and outer layer to be custom fit (within reason) to be worn together and stacked? Here I'm thinking of combinations like a base layer of Form Fitting Body Armor or Armor Vest or Armor Clothing stacked with an outer layer of a Lined Coat or Armor Jacket or any one of the High Fashion Coats.

Since the rule appears to be +1/3 of the outer layer, it should be pretty simple if you can find an armorer who can custom fit it for you.

Thoughts?

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-19/1742:08> »
"these items can stack with other pieces that have been Custom Fit by the same maker, for the same person"

The wording is a little strange, and says it must "have been Custom Fit by the same maker", which isn't really the same as "must be from the same manufacturer". I always took it to mean the same tailor must perform the custom fitting.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-19/1855:09> »
It’s up to the GM, but the way I’ve always played it is that not every Mortimer of London Argentum Coat “game equipment” is actually a Mortimer of London product “in universe.” Just like your Ford AmeriCar might actually be a Honda Citizen, you might actually be wearing a Zoé Executive Decision greatcoat to match your Zoé Executive Suite power suit.

We let all “fashion” armors to stack with “outerwear” armors as long as you explicitly purchased them as a set.  Doesn’t really affect the power balance of the game much (since most of the time you’re only looking at +3 pips of Armor), but it can add a lot of fun roleplaying nuances.
« Last Edit: <03-13-19/0853:35> by Ajax »
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #3 on: <03-13-19/0333:25> »
...yeah one of the nicer ones to get is Zoe Second Skin.  Adds +2 to custom tailored/fit armour, and indispensable when you have to infiltrate an installation and blend in with the workers such as wearing a uniform or coveralls ad still have a little protection that isn't obvious.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-13-19/0841:22> »
It’s up to the GM, but the way I’ve always played it is that every Mortimer of London Argentum Coat “game equipment” is actually a Mortimer of London product “in universe.” Just like your Ford AmeriCar might actually be a Honda Citizen, you might actually be wearing a Zoé Executive Decision greatcoat to match your Zoé Executive Suite power suit.

We all “fashion” armors to stack with “outerwear” armors as long as you explicitly purchased them as a set.  Doesn’t really affect the power balance of the game much (since most of the time you’re only looking at +3 pips of Armor), but it can add a lot of fun roleplaying nuances.

I like this approach very much, makes total sense. Thanks.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <03-13-19/1254:07> »
Run&Gun has option for stacking armors that have the Custom Fit feature (and maybe has to be of the same manufacture). All the coats that act as outer layer adds 1/3 of their AV to the base layer, but but not all brands have coats to add to the suits.

Does anyone house rule that as long as a base layer is Custom Fit you can stack it with a Custom Fit coat of another brand?

And in extension, perhaps allow any base and outer layer to be custom fit (within reason) to be worn together and stacked? Here I'm thinking of combinations like a base layer of Form Fitting Body Armor or Armor Vest or Armor Clothing stacked with an outer layer of a Lined Coat or Armor Jacket or any one of the High Fashion Coats.

Since the rule appears to be +1/3 of the outer layer, it should be pretty simple if you can find an armorer who can custom fit it for you.

Thoughts?
To me it feels like a bit overpowered if you allow any combination (even within reason), but it can be done by a GM like that yes. Gives some use to a decent Armorer contact, which tends to be underpowered compared to a normal Fixer. If the combo is ridiculous in style, however, you'd definitely lose the social bonuses.

Also: Fashion Spell!!! =D

How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-14-19/1143:41> »

Thoughts?
To me it feels like a bit overpowered if you allow any combination (even within reason), but it can be done by a GM like that yes. Gives some use to a decent Armorer contact, which tends to be underpowered compared to a normal Fixer. If the combo is ridiculous in style, however, you'd definitely lose the social bonuses.

Also: Fashion Spell!!! =D

Yeah, it would make the Armorer skill more worthwhile too. And I don't think it'll be overpowered. You can get armored suits+overcoat+forearm guards+ballistic mask and you're riding at 16-18 odd AV. That's about the same you'd get from any other combination of basic armors and they don't give you fancy bonuses like limit increase, dice pool bonuses, built in holster etc.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <03-14-19/1202:58> »
Yeah but I can't enter a party with that combination. And the mask will set off alarm bells.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <03-14-19/1215:40> »
That's what concealed pockets and air ducts are for.

Suit+coat alone is 15, you can wear that anywhere.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-14-19/1551:22> »

Except the pool, the sauna, the steam room, and so forth. Neo-Tokyo Missions should see a lot of paranoid Tanaka-sama having their meetings in public bathhouses, Chicago Missions should see a lot of Johnsons holding meetings on their yachts in Lake Michigan, and so forth.

Yes, the existence of Second Skin and various types of cyberware mean you can still sport a decent amount of Armor whilst wearing a bathing suit. Still hard to conceal a gun in one.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #10 on: <03-14-19/1610:15> »
...and you can have "built in" armour as well.

Leela in just plain clothing over Zoe Second Skin has the same armour value as Sleeping Tiger. When wearing her Mortimer of London Berwick suit (which it is custom fit with) and an Argentum Longcoat (also custom fit) she has a total of 22.

Oh and don't forget special treatments like Chem Protection (against DMSO) and Nonconductivity (to deal with tasers or S&S).

Such mods on Orthoskin also stack with similar ones on armour (she has the Insulation Orthoskin mod which gives her is a total +8 vs electrical attacks when wearing the Longcoat which has Nonconductivity 6).

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #11 on: <03-14-19/1611:39> »

Except the pool, the sauna, the steam room, and so forth. Neo-Tokyo Missions should see a lot of paranoid Tanaka-sama having their meetings in public bathhouses, Chicago Missions should see a lot of Johnsons holding meetings on their yachts in Lake Michigan, and so forth.

Yes, the existence of Second Skin and various types of cyberware mean you can still sport a decent amount of Armor whilst wearing a bathing suit. Still hard to conceal a gun in one.
...that's what the fingertip Monowhip is for.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-14-19/1700:22> »
Is that a Ruger Super Warhawk in your trunks or are you just happy to see me?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <03-14-19/1759:26> »
Is that a Ruger Super Warhawk in your trunks or are you just happy to see me?

Gets doubly awkward when you start peeling each others second skins off.