NEWS

Suggested new AI rules for PCs. PEACH

• 2 Replies

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« on: <03-20-18/1539:51> »
As Im planning on running a Matrix heavy game sometime in the far future Im looking to incorporate all aspects of hacking capable PC types. The best would be a mix of Deckers, technomancers and ... Digital Intelligences.
Now I believe Im not the only one finding the current AI rules slightly bug-ridden/in need of a patch. Sadly I havent seen many actual houserules on the subject or even many revamps of the AIs. Mostly posts boils down to either: DONT! or "be ready to make a lot of houserules!.

So instead Ive decided to make the rules from scrap, instead of trying to patch up the current one.
I went the "entirely Matrix being" route. Meaning the AIs no longer must rely on devices to survive. They also no longer gets disrupted, instead working as more "normal" characters with overflow boxes and rolling up a new character if those boxes are exceeded etc.

They also gained Matrix attributes kinda like the technomancer, and lost the emulate feature as well. So they no longer needs a physical device like a deck to hack anymore.

Some things Havent been addressed properly yet:
- Lifestyles and expenses (the AI most likely would like some place in the matrix where it can repair and patch itself up)
- Proper differentiating E-ghosts, Pilot programs, Agents and IC origins. I dont want the "take pilot origin" or suck approach there currently is.
- A closer look at dicepools. The AI cant get access to cyberware or many equipment bonusses in general, possibly leaving it with lower overall pools.
- a bunch of other small weird stuff i havent thought of.

I would very much like all kinds of feedback. But particularly on playability, Internal balance (ei. Why would I ever choose A for my AI when B is twice as good), Confused/unclear rules mechanics, External balance (ie. this blows away all hackers/riggers or this blows in general its even worse then the original AI rules with the uneducated flaw), missed opportunities,   

Digital Intelligences
Priority system
   Race   Attributes   Special                                             
A   AI (5)   12           Device rating 6. 2 skills rating 5. 3 Programs   
B   AI (3)   10           Device rating 4. 2 skills rating 3. 2 Programs   
C   AI(0)   8           Device rating 3. 2 skills rating 2. 1 program   
D   N/A   7           N/A      
E   N/A   6           N/A      

Attributes:
Willpower 1-6, Logic 2-7, Intuition 1-6,  and Charisma 1-6. Edge 1-6 and Device rating 1-6 as special attributes. No physical attributes (Body, Agility, Reaction and Strength)
Firewall rating Equal to Willpower
Sleaze rating equal to Logic
Data processing rating equal to Intuition
Attack rating equal to Charisma

Other scores and limits:
Essence = 1
Matrix Initiative: Data processing + Intuition +4D6
Core condition monitor= 8 + ½ Willpower (Core overflow boxes = Willpower)
Matrix Condition monitor= 8 +½ Device rating

Physical Limit: Handling when in a vehicle, otherwise none
Social limit: (Charisma+charisma+essence(1)+Willpower)/3 Round up
Mental limit: (Logic+logic+Willpower+Intuition)/3 Round up

May jump into vehicles as a rigger.
Matrix damage taken while jumped in is on the AIs Matrix condition monitor and not the vehicle- just as with normal riggers.
When vehicle suffers any physical damage the jumped-in AI suffers biofeed back damage as if it was a living being, it must resist ½ of that damage as Core damage. Resisted with Willpower+firewall.

AI may create PANs as if they were a Commlink/deck etc. AIs can reboot as if it was a device, losing overwatch score and Marks as normal.
If an AI suffers full matrix damage it will go into Emergency maintenance mode. Any remaining Matrix damage will go onto the Core condition monitor.

Emergency maintenance: Lose all matrix attributes and Marks. Can take no actions other than trying to succeed on the Emergency maintenance extended test. Willpower+ device rating [10] 1 combat turn. Will be able to fight on with only the Core monitor.

Once per day may go into realignmet mode for 3 hours:
- Loses all matrix attributes
- May roll Willpower+Device rating to repair Core Damage (each hit repairs one box of damage)
- May switch around in program slots
- Refreshes Edge as a normal character
- Lose all Marks
- Cant take action, but if disturbed may abort realignment- gaining no bonuses from it
Should the AI go into Core overflow it will automatically go into realignment mode. Should its Core overflow be exceeded the AI is destroyed.

Device rating is the limit of how many known Apps, Cyberprograms and Advanced programs an AI may run at once.
Cyberprograms costs 5 karma to learn, Advanced programs costs 7 and Apps a free to learn in realignment mode.  The AI may switch its known Programs out with other known ones only in realignment mode, or by using a point of edge.
May learn any of the advanced programs that does not have an autosoft as requirement.

May use the Change ownership action as described in Data trails- replacing Depth with Device rating.

All AIs Start the game with the following Qualities:  Codeslinger, Photographic memory, Speed reading and either Real world naivity, Flashbacks,  Antipathy (Chrome flesh), Nerdrage or Social stress.
May buy/acquire any positive or negative quality that makes sense – so no allergic to African bees (moderate)

Device rating costs 5* new rating to improve in karma, may take the exceptional attribute on it.

« Last Edit: <03-20-18/1546:46> by DigitalZombie »

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-21-18/1333:08> »
For lifestyle cost, try this:
3% of device's total cost multiplied by the device's Device Rating.
If the AI owns the device in question, but chooses not to pay the lifestyle cost at the end of the month, the device takes damage equal to it's Device Rating.
It's fairly well known that AIs burn out devices they are housed in.

Note: this is intended for AIs not housed on a server.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-22-18/1657:34> »
Yeah.  But the thing is my AI is a deviceless "device" so even if it would like to have a neat little device to lay low in at times the player isn't really obligated to buy anything expensive for that.  A commlink with a nice firewall would do. 

Maybe something like having to burn through a lot more SINs. Say the AI is using SINs to hide it's datatrail in the matrix. As any other shadowrunner, but as the AI is....  Well an AI it's always online and leaves behind little digital breadcrumbs with AI written all over them.  And to make sure any of the greedy Corps doesn't get wind of it it has to replace its SIN every 3 months. 
At the very basic SINs would be used to buy access to the various nets,  so it wouldn't have to "live" on the public net all the time *yuck*.

And naturally a small secure place for any vehicles and links etc. 

I do like the idea of the AI frying it's equipment over time,  toasters just weren't build as AI housing in mind.