• 209 Replies

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <08-11-11/0914:01> »
i do tech-support.
so i KNOW how that feels . .
and i have one standard answer for that:
"if you are doing your job right, nobody is going to complain."

Except you would be wrong. There will ALWAYS be someone unhappy for whatever reason, it may pertain to your work or it may have nothing at all to do with you and yet they complain,bitch,moan and are generally abusive and unhelpful. Doing your job right does not free you from complaints. Like Jack said, we need to keep it civil and respectful here be it a positive review or a critique.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <08-11-11/0919:44> »
i do tech-support.
Since you do tech-support (as have I), you know that sometimes, no matter how well you do your job, people will complain.

Also, if a person keeps calling back, making the same complaints in the same disrespectful manner, do you write them off and ignore them when they call back again? Likewise, if a person is respectful to you while saying "I had a problem with X", you're more likely to help them, correct?

My overall point is that insulting the writers does nothing. They are going to keep writing when they get their assignments. They will come and check the boards here for feedback, but if a poster does nothing buy make disrespectful comments about their work without any merit, they will ignore that person--even if a later post does have some useful feedback. And if a LOT of posters do nothing but chime in with similar comments, then the writer will no longer visit our board since we've established that our feedback is useless vitriol.

[+1 to DV's ninja abilities]

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <08-11-11/0953:57> »
i do tech-support.
Stahl, first rule of tech support, no matter how good a job you did, you borked the thing when it breaks the next time, even if it's completely unrelated.

I had it worse, I worked on home networks.  If ANOTHER computer broke for whatever reason I would be blamed and my supervisor would write me up for it as it was a complaint that went up the chain.

Honestly, the only reason I wasn't fired for being written up too many times is due to having been stuck in limbo supervisor-wise in that position.  Of course, it meant that I was stuck in limbo in everything as I never got reviewed (And thus no pay increases, shift changes, etc.), and that I never got any positive support either.

Prison rape in fiction is funny (In the right context.).  Otherwise Prison rape is a horrible, nasty thing.  And that's exactly what "A night with Bubba" is.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #33 on: <08-11-11/1001:41> »
*shrugs*
I have customers asking for me specifically and calling back later, when i am not available . .
Also, i talk LONGER to the people who are not respectfull to me . . because every minute i can keep them on line costs them more money . .

As for FastJack . . we are not going to come to an accord here . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <08-11-11/1007:58> »
Ah, you're one of those "Pay By The Minute" tech support types.  Lucky bastard.

I had to do free tech support that was part of a person's monthly service.  I talked too long, *I* got in trouble.  No matter the reason for it.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #35 on: <08-11-11/1013:47> »
same here, but i don't give a shit anymore . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <08-11-11/1041:27> »
I took it upon myself to remove Sengir's posts. Next time I am going to remove the offending individual/s.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #37 on: <08-11-11/1139:45> »
And another message has been removed.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <08-11-11/1148:50> »
Come on children, play nice.

Damnit, I'm not supposed to be the old man here!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <08-11-11/1154:18> »
And another message has been removed.
Because...?

I hope you don't  want to tell me you consider comparisons to other SR books derogatory, that would be horribly unkind to the author :(

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #40 on: <08-11-11/1207:46> »
Sengir, c'mon.  You're obviously rubbing folks the wrong way here (moderators included), why not give it a rest for a day or two and just let folks cool down?  Whether you're meaning to or not, you're being seen as trolling, so maybe the safest route is just to let it lie for a bit.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <08-11-11/1232:32> »
Whether you're meaning to or not, you're being seen as trolling, so maybe the safest route is just to let it lie for a bit.
Nah, I'd rather see the guys struggle to explain where the trolling was...or do whatever else they do, either way, it's going to be interesting to watch...

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <08-11-11/1315:15> »
Keeping thread on topic, if it is possible could we please get a post on Akuchi knowledge skills? I see they are missing from his entry, if we wanted to use him as a contact or plot point it could be usefull to know his skill set. Thank you for your time.

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <08-11-11/1528:23> »
Nah, I'd rather see the guys struggle to explain where the trolling was...or do whatever else they do, either way, it's going to be interesting to watch...

Pity then that they're not in the business of discussing such in public.

Paul

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #44 on: <08-11-11/1557:57> »
I shouldn't even be here, but I am going to bang my head against the wall and ask anyway. Has anyone read the non-dossier stories?
Okay, just finished the rest of the book. And can I just say WTF is Damien Knight even THINKING??

Of course, this all fits in perfectly with my home campaign now... ;)