NEWS

Chernobyl in 2075

• 7 Replies

Tech

• Newb
« on: <09-16-17/1713:47> »
So, I have two projects related to Chernobyl right now. I'm only going to talk about one, the mission based one, and NOT my paper on Chernobyl.

Any how, what would it be like? I imagine that they could have cleaned it up by the modern day of 5th edition, but if they didn't it would be full of heavily mutated creatures (not unlike some of the other terrifying things we already have in 2075) and toxic spirits. The Chernobyl Disaster happened before the awakening, so I unfortunately cant re-write what all happened from the reactor explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. And maybe I don't want to - it would be a perfect place for my players to go looking for something important like a magic item or maybe collect samples of the fading and/or flourishing "life" within Chernobyl for their slightly crazy Mr. Johnson. OR, maybe, there's already lore around this area I'm not aware of - in which case I would appreciate the tip towards it.

Otherwise if anyone already has personal lore built around this I would really appreciate a spot at that table of conversation :)
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"
"I shoot him with my krime gun"

Izork95

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-21-18/1317:56> »
Play some of the stalker series imo.  It always felt slightly shadowrun esk to me.  https://youtu.be/xTq4ibgVof8
-Kyle
Characters:
Can’Di’thu’fara’He’ma’thu’ri (Candi pirates of Pizazz)
Sergie Andropov (trolling thunder)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <09-21-18/1331:03> »
From what I understand, the area around Chernobyl is brimming with life, and no, not the two headed kind.

There are multiple documentaries out there about Chernobyl and area around it. (I recommend 'Wolves of Chernobyl'. A great Doc about the resurgence of Grey Wolves around Chernobyl, and how they are flourishing under a non-human environment.

From a SR perspective, I only know of a few mentions of Chernobyl in SR lore, and they contradict each other.

One stated its still has a huge BGC due to the radiation in the area (2e)

One stated it was a confirmed nest for Shadow Spirits.. (3e) 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Nebulous

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-21-18/1430:39> »
Chernobyl might be fine if we went by how it is going right now, irradiated still.  But for SR, "Wormwood" might be like the Cheeki Breeki nonsense of STALKER or Metro.  Just so much ambient "shenanigans".
In honor of a longtime friend. 

May the Shadows not take you.
May the Shadows of [Meta]Humanity not dishearten you.
May the Shadows of Society not corrupt you.
May the Shadows of the World not destroy you.
May you own Shadow be a guide of what not to become.

-The Last Wraith

sidslick

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-11-19/1811:28> »
Strikes me you could go one of two ways;

One - it's a partially irradiated region of "pristine" wildlife, still guarded by local military/police/corporate forces. Given the history of the Eurowars and Jihad, I personally reckon this would be pretty unlikely, but not impossible.

Two - treat it as a version of the SOX, based in Eastern Europe. Local communities of ghouls or other awakened? Semi-legal or illegal corporate structures, radioactive waste and training for personnel gearing up for the Rad Wars?
Travel the world; meet new people; crush them for all they are worth!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-11-19/2143:03> »
Three - treat it as if it's sitting on the ruins of an ancient magical society. ;)

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-15-19/1208:50> »
Four - Although the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone border is still enforced by a combination of government operatives and private military contractors, none of them are ever allowed more than a few kilometers inside the zone themselves. There’s some rumors floating around in the usual shadowy places that not only has the radiation faded far more rapidly than it should have, but the place is actually now completely pristine. Furthermore, the guards spend as much time keeping something IN as they do keeping others out. The wildlife isn’t just back, it’s angry.

Cue ‘Jurassic Park’ overture.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <02-16-19/1052:14> »
Four - Although the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone border is still enforced by a combination of government operatives and private military contractors, none of them are ever allowed more than a few kilometers inside the zone themselves. There’s some rumors floating around in the usual shadowy places that not only has the radiation faded far more rapidly than it should have, but the place is actually now completely pristine. Furthermore, the guards spend as much time keeping something IN as they do keeping others out. The wildlife isn’t just back, it’s angry.

Cue ‘Jurassic Park’ overture.
Sounds like something Kalanyr would hire a team to investigate, given his affinity with Radiation.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!