NEWS

Marks and RigDecking

• 34 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #30 on: <09-12-17/1608:24> »
Hmm

Can we boil this down a to a couple sentences?
If your persona is link/created/is devices that have all the possible matrix attribute, I don't see a reason you shouldn't have access to them, assuming you are running in a mode(s) where all those attributes are active. (IE Online/Jumped in/etc).

I follow the RAW argument against it in general, and i can certainly understand anyone who wants to just say No simply b/c it's over complicated and RAW doesn't really account for it.

It's certainly a niche case, and should it become a common case I can understand folks getting nervous, but should such a thing ever happen I'm sure an offical ruling could be made and clarification given.

But that said, Dongles have been added to the game, and there is no doubt they add stats to things that don't regularly have those attributes. If that case exists then I accept that under RAI an argument other could as well. If a Persona is basically the sum of the hardware that make it up, which is concept i'm generally at peace with, then I'm inclined to allow this concept.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <09-12-17/1645:48> »
Yes, there is no reason that being jumped in should affect what actions you can take on the Matrix. If you have a Sleaze attribute, you should be able do Sleaze actions. It's no different than if you were sitting in the driver's seat using AR to do some hacking while driving. Mind you, you still need to make a Pilot test at least once every Turn or you risk crashing... but still.

PSA: do not hack and drive. Keep full attention on the road, distracted driving is impaired driving.

However: your Persona's Matrix Attributes are made up of the device (singular) that it was created on. Nothing in the rules suggests that slaving devices adds their Matrix attributes to your own. All slaved devices become part of your Persona, but the rules never mention modifying your Matrix Attributes, because it doesn't.

Otherwise people could just go out and get random scraps of hardware and modify them with Matrix Attributes, including the modifications that permanently damage the device, slave it to your central "hub" device, and claim that they now have all the attributes without it affecting that main device.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #32 on: <09-12-17/1721:39> »

PSA: do not hack and drive. Keep full attention on the road, distracted driving is impaired driving.

I fully support this PSA. Hacking and Driving is a bad idea, don't text and drive, don't hack and drive.

However: your Persona's Matrix Attributes are made up of the device (singular) that it was created on. Nothing in the rules suggests that slaving devices adds their Matrix attributes to your own. All slaved devices become part of your Persona, but the rules never mention modifying your Matrix Attributes, because it doesn't.

Otherwise people could just go out and get random scraps of hardware and modify them with Matrix Attributes, including the modifications that permanently damage the device, slave it to your central "hub" device, and claim that they now have all the attributes without it affecting that main device.

Here I somewhat disagree we have at-least one example of a device being added to something that can generate a matrix persona, and adding attribute admittedly a com-link, but it can be done, and dongles are not cheap at all, I would expect anything else involved in this sort of thing would be at-least as expensive. Care needs to be taken that what you describe is not allowed to occur. But nothing that has been discussed thus far can be described as inexpensive as I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-12-17/2154:22> »
Dongles are an accessory that explicitly states that it adds Stealth/Attack to the commlink when it is in use. I'm specifically talking about when people were commenting about modding a drone so that it has a Stealth Attribute (or something similar, using Hardware modfication rules), and then because a Rigger jumps into that drone, it lets them use that Stealth attribute of the drone. That's not how that works.

Dongles state what they do, and they aren't separate devices that you have to run and slave. It's an accessory that you attach to a commlink, it adds the attribute (or other effect) to that commlink. These are basically mini hardware expansions that you can plug into your commlink for added functionality.

living

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <09-16-17/1520:19> »
crazy discussion...

matrix stats only change if the device generating your persona changes. your persona and matrix stats are only generated by the device you use to log in the matrix. nothing else.

if you use a device with a sleaze/attack rating, your persona gets these attributes. if you use a device without, you cant get them.

otherwise daisychains would be easy and you wouldnt need decks anymore (just combine a rcc with a 2 commlinks with stealth/attack dongle).