NEWS

Is Chat Possible?

• 10 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« on: <11-15-12/1802:51> »
So my question is this: is it possible to install/create a chat for the SR forums?  It sometimes would be nice to send a PM to someone, saying 'meet me in chat', and just go ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #1 on: <11-15-12/1904:47> »
I`d love to think that Everyone that plays is capable of playing nice and could be trusted with a chat function ...... buuut the fact the rating system for used for pointless and malicious purposes would lead me to think a chat function would sink lower than 4Chan in a matter of hours.
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-15-12/1916:11> »
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-16-12/0347:28> »
Having been on game-system-specific chat convos, yes, to a certain extent they're casual conversation - which is fine.  (I'm looking at you, HeroCentral.)  However, when you are wanting to talk about a particular game mechanic or element of the game world, it's very useful to have a group of people handy who are right there and know what the hell you're talking about.

And Agent Smith, yes, well - IRC is crap.  Dumpshock IRC ... there are reasons some of us don't go over to Dumpshock.  Its denizens being severely unfriendly to anyone who hasn't been there for a decade, even if they've been online for two and playing for the full 25 years, is a big one. 
Pananagutan & End/Line

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #4 on: <11-16-12/0531:39> »
You'd think Shadowrun fans would be the ones who fight bigotry and xenophoby, not the ones who practice it...

EDIT: To stay on topic - Forum-based chat, for registered users only, would be a nice thing. We all know FastJack is an AI, he can deal with it as well when it comes to moderation.
« Last Edit: <11-16-12/0533:19> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-16-12/0955:30> »
If you notice I was pushing Slashnet's IRC (which hasn't been part of Slashnet for a long while now), not Dumpshock's IRC.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-16-12/2222:22> »
No, Peter, didn't notice.  Saw conversation a) regarding IRC, and b) involving Dumpshock, and c) pretty much ignored it - because again, IRC flat-out sucks.  It was great when it was new, it was okay five years ago; today, it sucks eggs.  I'm specifically talking about a link up top - 'Home, Help, Search, Profile, My Messages, Members, Chat Rooms, Logout'.  AFAIK, the baseline chat that places like the HeroGames.com forums are running isn't much to add on ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-13/0906:19> »
Nyet comrade, adding such software is just a bit out of reach. Impossible? Nope. More than we can get off our plate? Yep!

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <03-11-13/1029:03> »
What are you missing for IT to be in reach. I can supply a Troll with long arms if required.
Chaos? Lack of protection? Enemies lurking in the shadows? Sounds
to me like the fun’s just beginning. Sorry you’ll miss it, omae.
> Kane

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <03-11-13/1217:10> »
IRC? Really kicking it old school, there. Reminds me of logging on to one of any number of DikuMUDs via raw Telnet. Still the best line to give to players when they try to guess how tough an opponent may be is DikuMUD's "Death will thank you for your gift."
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <08-14-13/0007:06> »
Cost would probably be the big one.... good chat servers are kinda expensive... usually like $10 for the server and then like $0.40 per user after the first 5 or so.... so how many slots do they get? 200? 300? 50?

(but if you want to get us a mumble server, or teamspeak, or anything else and pay for it out of pocket, the community would love you bunches!!)

and then there is the legal issues when Mr. and Ms. Mirikon find out Mirikon junor,who is 11 is talking about blowing up cars and smacking hookers all night in his bedroom :D   (not that Mirikon is 11, or blows up cars....)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.