NEWS

SR5 Poor, Poor Technomancers

• 4 Replies

Hanzo

• Newb
« on: <11-02-20/0943:31> »
Hi, chummers!

I feel pretty sorry for the TM's)))

Do I understand correct if TM goes Down his Living Persona is still open to Matrix attacks?

The CRB says that TM's Reboot thier Living Persona when they go asleep, but this a player must say about it. In case when someone fills TM's Stun CM, I guest TM has no time to Reboot his/her Living Persona.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-02-20/1019:52> »
IIRC in SR5 a TM may not be in the AR Matrix User Mode*.  Therefore they must be in VR to even have a (living) persona. 

Ergo, when they're NOT in VR they don't even have a persona. Nothing there to hack while they're asleep.

*edit: ok ok they can be in AR if using a commlink or such for their persona, just like everyone else...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-02-20/1422:34> »
Do I understand correct if TM goes Down his Living Persona is still open to Matrix attacks?
Yes.

Not only that, if he goes down while being in hot-sim VR he will typically still remain in hot-sim VR (as he don't have any built-in ASIST-module to help him switch to AR mode like cyberdecks and commlinks have).

SR5 p. 229 Dumpshock & Link-Locking
Usually, if you fall unconscious in VR, your commlink or deck automatically switches you to AR. If you’re linklocked, you remain online and in VR.

IIRC in SR5 a TM may not be in the AR Matrix User Mode*.
Technomancer in SR5 can be in either AR mode or Hot-Sim VR mode.
They can not be in Cold-Sim VR mode (except if they access the matrix via a device instead of using their living persona).

SR5 p. 251 Living Persona
As a technomancer, you can only use AR and hot-sim VR (the only way you can use cold-sim VR is by using a cybredeck or commlink—ew).

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-02-20/1434:56> »
Ah, thanks for the correction.  Not enough room in my memory to keep retaining SR5 minutiae...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-02-20/1446:19> »
I need to let some of that SR5 Matrix knowledge go to make room for some new SR6 Matrix knowledge instead ;-)