NEWS

Can I get a summary of the changes to Chicago in the recent SRM seasons?

• 2 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <03-12-18/2256:18> »
I'm looking to run a Chicago campaign, but I don't particularly like the Missions (at least, the early SR5 ones I read, I haven't gotten the opportunity to check out more) and my playgroup is too small to do most standard kind of jobs.  What I want to know is if someone could give me a quick rundown of some of the key changes that occurred to Chicago in 5th edition; otherwise the latest info I have is from Feral Cities in 4th edition.

For example, I know that with the change to the matrix, Chicago has more access to the matrix than ever before, and that the Noose has its own local grid called Noosenet.  That's a pretty big deal, IMO.  Also to fit the Missions format, the use of nuyen has come back to Chicago in a major way, probably connected to the more accessible matrix.

I also get the impression that generally, things are still improving in the corridor.  Presumably, to fit the Missions format, a PC can be expected to find a Lifestyle without special rules.  Like, a PC with a Low lifestyle in Chicago has the same available to them as if it were Seattle.  Limited water, crappy food, and a mostly-functional toilet.  Like a low-rent apartment in a big city.  Better than the "bring your own food and shit in a bucket" kind of scene Feral Cities implies to be the case for most runners.  It also implies that higher lifestyles aren't unavailable.  Or is it just assumed that someone with Middle or higher is living in one of the subsprawls and just commutes to Chicago for work?

I recall someone mentioning the CZ's background count has changed too; lessened over time during 5th edition.  I don't know if that's true.

Basically, I've gotten bits of info and know that Chicago is now close enough to a "standard" sprawl to be a good setting for Missions without having to introduce a bunch of specific rules (outside the ones that are necessary for Missions no matter where it takes place).  Any other important changes I should know?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-18/2351:25> »
Have you read Section 3 of the SRM FAQ for Chicago?  You can correlate declining Background Counts and Noise levels with in-universe calendar years.  It also gives a broad strokes story about Project TAKEBACK picking up from the revoking of the Adverse Possession ruling (as decribed in Feral Cities).

The current SRM season is the final one set in Chicago.. there are potentially going to be some major events as a send-off for Chitown before we all move to Neo-Tokyo.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-18/2357:35> »
I'll check that out now, thanks.

Mmkay.  So most of the huge rush has died down since the "physically take the land before 2077" period is up.  I don't know the extent of what happened though...  In four/five years since the repeal of Adverse Possession, corps could basically clear out a bunch of the debris from the CZ's streets and make it resemble just a shitty part of town.  That's if they went unopposed though...  I guess I need to try and find out how much the corps succeeded despite runner, anarchist, and ganger opposition actively trying to stop them from just scooping up bits of the Zone and the Corridor.

It is believable that they're setting the stage to basically have Chicago return to just being another sprawl (with a very morbid history).  If they do, I'll have to find another feral city to be my character's home.  Maybe she'll just move back to the Barrens and tell everyone to suck on her exhaust pipe.
« Last Edit: <03-13-18/0013:23> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.