NEWS

Beyond Chicago Discussion

• 27 Replies

Hibiki54

• Omae
« on: <03-04-16/2046:15> »
Thoughts?

Personally, I would like to have some Cal Free and PCC mods, Los Angeles specifically.

Has nothing to do with me living there. Just sayin;.  8)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-16/2149:10> »
Honestly, Neo Tokyo just seems a facinating place to be a Shadorunner.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-04-16/2237:42> »
I'm inclined toward anywhere that hasn't had a major writeup in the last ten years, but even beyond that, how can anyone not choose Atlanta?
« Last Edit: <03-05-16/0048:57> by Crimsondude »

Jahrl Mirkson

• Newb
  • Lurk, lurk, lurk.
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-16/2325:28> »
Well now let's see...

Atlanta- I honostly can't think of anything about Atlanta. Goes on the maybe pile.
Aztlan- Running the shadows in the backyard of one of the top two megas I personally never want to piss off. Should be intersting in a mildly pants wetting sort of way.
California Free State- Hollywood runs. Character assassination. Backroom deals. Welome to show biz!
Tir Tairngire- Uh... the last time I was in the Tir I kind of helped kill a dragon. Someone's likely going to be pissed about that. Eh. Goes on the maybe pile.
Miami- Okay in all honosty I went straight to Miami Vice on this one. Though I can't help but think that Shadowrun Vice might be spectacular.
Neo Tokyo- With all of the megas that call it home there's likely to be some choice running available. Definitely near the top of the list.
New Orleans- If we go here I just know we're going to end up dealing with awakend alligators at some point. Just see if we don't. *sigh* Fine, maybe.
Russia- One word: Siberia.  .....  NEXT!
United Kingdom- Has possibilities. Main running would be in London but we could go to other places for variety. Over to Wales, maybe Bradford on Avon, Scotland; ooo, hey! Nessie! A surprising contender.
Washington DC- Oof. You would just have to put this in here in an election year. I'm going to have to say no to this one. I'm already sick of all the real life politics, don't want to have deal with them in the game.  ..... Shut up.

So my top contenders seem to be Neo Tokyo, UK, and *cough* Miami.(Okay so I want to do Miami Vice runs. Is that so wrong?)
Next tier seems to be Aztlan, New Orleans, and eh, what the hell, CalFree.
Ninja vanish!
*BAMF*
*cough**cough**cough*

Missions character: Brick House
Titles: Daddy Killer, Dragon Hacker

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-16/0058:32> »
Reposting the survey link: http://tinyurl.com/zr2fq9c

Miami- Okay in all honosty I went straight to Miami Vice on this one. Though I can't help but think that Shadowrun Vice might be spectacular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKk22LNdJE

New Orleans- If we go here I just know we're going to end up dealing with awakend alligators at some point. Just see if we don't. *sigh* Fine, maybe.
Everybody loves Behemoths!

Russia- One word: Siberia.  .....  NEXT!
Technically, that's another country (Yakut). Fair enough, though.

Washington DC- Oof. You would just have to put this in here in an election year. I'm going to have to say no to this one. I'm already sick of all the real life politics, don't want to have deal with them in the game.  ..... Shut up.
:(

No one  appreciates greatness in its own time.

Jahrl Mirkson

• Newb
  • Lurk, lurk, lurk.
« Reply #5 on: <03-05-16/0534:23> »
Everybody loves Behemoths!.

You and I have very different definitions of "love". I can't help but think yours involves lots of heavy weapon systems and explosives.

:(

No one  appreciates greatness in its own time.

Oh I appreciate it. That doesn't mean I won't go running, screaming, away from it though.
Ninja vanish!
*BAMF*
*cough**cough**cough*

Missions character: Brick House
Titles: Daddy Killer, Dragon Hacker

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-05-16/1054:16> »
Aztlan for me; for being the home of a AAA, we really don't know too much about the nation or the city it grew from, apart from the somewhat unofficial Shadows of Latin America or whatever it was called.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #7 on: <03-10-16/0229:07> »
...as to a place with no major write-up.  The Balkans.

Warlords, Pocket Dictatorships, Mercenaries, Revolts, Counter Revolts, Counter-Counter Revolts.... 

More action and intrigue than you can shake a credstick at.

Second choice would be the UK.  Would make for some creative running in a land where bang bangs are a "no no", they still use hard currency, and take time out for afternoon tea (though no more big bad Lord Protector running the show).
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Soahl

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-10-16/1723:59> »
My initial suggestion was Manila. I really like the stuff that came with Hard Target and think it'd be great to take the Missions setting to someplace completely different culturally, someplace that hasn't really been paid much attention to until recently.

As that's not on the list though, I voted for the Tir. I've always been enamoured with it, partially because I was born and raised in the Portland Area and partially because I like the politics and intrigue nature of it. Also, it has a distinct cultural tone that I find interesting.

Second place goes to LA, I think. I just think it'd be super interesting to see how that area played out. It's a setting I'm not familiar with at all.

I'd be down with the UK and Miami, but they're getting a lot closer to the meh side of things.

I actively don't want either Aztlan or Neo Japan. I feel like Aztlan would have way too much of the cartoonish villainy of the Blood Magic stuff which really doesn't feel like it fits the setting as much as everything else (personal opinion and all that).

For Neo Japan, I'll admit this one is partially prejeduce of characters and players I was introduced to the game with. It was High School (3ed), I knew some people who were far too into anime and "Japan" (not the real place, but the idea of it), and that translated to a really annoying set of tropes that burned me out on the whole thing. Then there's the whole problem with how anti-weapon and such they are, and I think it'd turn Shadowrunning into more of a hassle.

Locations like Atlanta and DC are just boring to me. I'm not a fan of Walking Dead, which I think is based around Atlanta? That's the only reason I can find that it'd be a place people want to run in. Haven't found anything interesting in-game about it. And DC is just... eh. Just strikes me as boring.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #9 on: <03-10-16/1956:14> »
...ended up voting for the UK as the Balkans were also not on the list.  If it is pretty much the same as it was in SoE, hacking is a challenge  just because of the bureaucratic structure of the matirx there, and again, civilian ownership of all firearms is generally prohibited.  Too bad the whole Pendragon - Lord Protector plotline was pretty much handwaved after the crash. Would have made for some very intriguing missions.

Not a fan of going to the TT as one of my characters grew up there as a human in the waning days of the old council and still despises the place (particularly that "Wicked Witch of the West Hills", Jenna). The fact that Portland is now the TT Capitol and sounds as if it no longer has the "Hong Kong" like  status that it used to, takes away the one of the few decent aspects. 

I also feel the same way about Neo Tokyo and Aztlan. Definitely would like a break from running in an ambient BGC all the time and Aztlan sounds like it would be worse than the CZ with all that corporate sanctioned death magic going on there.

...oh, and I always thought the "walking dead" were up on Capitol Hill in DeeCee.  ;D.
« Last Edit: <03-11-16/0345:03> by kyoto kid »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-11-16/0252:21> »
TWD began in Atlanta but it moved up the eastern seaboard until they reached Alexandria, which is across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #11 on: <03-11-16/0416:42> »
...while I am not all that thrilled about the TT becoming Missions setting, I did run a campaign out of there back in the 2E days  though took a little licence to give Portland a bit more character..

• The McMenamin Borthers became Dwarves and still brewed ales & beers
  • OMSI was down on the east bank (apologies to Mr Finley)
  • Some practical joker mage quickened confusion spells at various intersections in Ladd's Addition  (the same person was credited with doing something similar in Laurelhurst as well)
  • There was no subway as the sourcebook mentions, but the Max LRT still operated
  • Laurelhurst Park was the estate of a "black sheep" NPC noble
  • West Delta Park and the old PIR raceway was home to a company that built high performance electric vehicles
  • The Hawthorne district was as "Bohemian" as it is  today
  • The New Satyricon was the slammin' club to go to for the locals
« Last Edit: <03-11-16/0419:03> by kyoto kid »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-11-16/1016:42> »
You should check out Elven Blood and Land of Promise, if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: <03-11-16/1304:34> by Crimsondude »

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #13 on: <03-11-16/1154:20> »
I'd like either Neo-Tokyo or Hong Kong.

The UK would be interesting, but it would need to be an order of magnitude better than "London's Falling".

But either of the far eastern settings would get my vote and money.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-11-16/1435:56> »
My number one choice would be Constantinople, but that wasn't available for the final cut.  Divided city, near the Balkans for a few one-offs, major merc and underworld presence, so on and so on.

I voted Neo Tokyo.  Partly because after Dragon Song, I want to raze the entire city, but also because the restrictions on weapons would be a nice change of pace from the "bring your big toys to the CZ" trend you see in Chicago.  Legality/permits should matter.  Social interactions should be more common/consequential after the initial meet.

I'm strongly against London or Moscow simply because I couldn't last two seasons of GMs doing bad accents.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.