NEWS

Origins Events for Inexperienced Shadowrunners --Already did First Taste

• 9 Replies

Douglas_Anders

• Newb
« on: <04-24-16/1050:18> »
My son and I would like to play Shadowrun game at Origins in June. Last year we we went through the Build a Runner workshop and played the First Taste mission, but haven't gotten a game in since. My son wants something more substantial than another run through of First Taste.

Could we enter a Shadowrun event at Origins without damaging the experience for experienced players? Any events that are better for newer players? We are generally familiar with the rules, but we won't be able to get a full game experience before the convention.

My son is 14, an experienced gamer (mostly  wargames), loves complex rules and is in love with the Shadowrun setting.

Thanks for any advice.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: <04-24-16/1319:24> »
Speaking also as a current Catalyst Demo Agent (who will also be running games at Origins this year), most standard Missions games are very new-player friendly and our GMs very experienced in integrating new and veteran players. As long as you're up front with your experience level, the GM (and often the other players) will be more than happy to help get you and your son more experience and hopefully raise your comfort level as well as answer any questions you may have. So don't worry too much about your character's experience level either, as long as they're missions legal, they should be good to go.

Hope this helps and can't wait to see you there!

:)

-Robert "RJ" Thomas (in case you want to look me up at the convention. Be more than happy to have you at my table)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Douglas_Anders

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-24-16/1441:51> »
Fantastic! Thank you -- we'll be signing up. We're both excited play some real missions.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <04-24-16/1852:01> »
You could consider running a single player game for one another?  Even if you don't get too far it would give you more familiarity with everything, so hopefully increase you comfort levels.

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #4 on: <05-14-16/1424:06> »
You could consider running a single player game for one another?  Even if you don't get too far it would give you more familiarity with everything, so hopefully increase you comfort levels.

If you do what Beta suggests, and it is a good idea to know how your skills/abilities/spells work and what you need to roll beforehand, remember that if you award any karma, nuyen, street cred, notoriety, public awareness, or pretty much anything to those characters; that version of the character is no longer allowed at missions tables.

Only Mission Awards handed out via the Debriefing Logs at the end of Organized Mission Play granted by Missions GM's are legal at conventions.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-15-16/1535:26> »

If you do what Beta suggests, and it is a good idea to know how your skills/abilities/spells work and what you need to roll beforehand, remember that if you award any karma, nuyen, street cred, notoriety, public awareness, or pretty much anything to those characters; that version of the character is no longer allowed at missions tables.

Only Mission Awards handed out via the Debriefing Logs at the end of Organized Mission Play granted by Missions GM's are legal at conventions.

I also advise doing a 'test run' of your characters in various situations. I recommend keeping a 'common dice rolls' cheat sheet. This will allow for smoother play.

Welcome to the shadows, it's good to have you here!
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

paws2sky

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-09-16/1651:13> »
Howdy

My son (13y) and I are in a similar boat. We're looking to attend Origins next week and get a few SR games in. Neither of us have any idea what to play.

Now, I've played on and off since 1st edition, so I have a pretty good idea of the game concepts. However, I don't have much experience with 5th. I played one of the earlier Chicago missions and it went poorly (for a variety of reasons, including an unoptimized/fluff-oriented magician build).

My son has never played, but became interested after listening to the Roll For It Shadowrun game.

I see from the FAQ that the CZ Background Count and Noise penalties have been reduced from previous levels, which is good. Are magicians, hackers (deckers, TMs), and drone riggers playable now?

I want him to have the best possible experience with this.

-paws

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #7 on: <06-09-16/1816:04> »
For what it is worth, I've played 1.5 of the season six missions online, playing a mage, and I haven't found the background count punitive.  It shows up, but when you'd expect it to (at the scene of a grisly murder, there is a background count).  It did not seem to be a presence everywhere (assuming the GM didn't miss something).  (we are only half way through the second mission, so there could still be some background ugliness, but so far so good)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: <06-09-16/1852:53> »
Howdy

My son (13y) and I are in a similar boat. We're looking to attend Origins next week and get a few SR games in. Neither of us have any idea what to play.

Now, I've played on and off since 1st edition, so I have a pretty good idea of the game concepts. However, I don't have much experience with 5th. I played one of the earlier Chicago missions and it went poorly (for a variety of reasons, including an unoptimized/fluff-oriented magician build).

My son has never played, but became interested after listening to the Roll For It Shadowrun game.

I see from the FAQ that the CZ Background Count and Noise penalties have been reduced from previous levels, which is good. Are magicians, hackers (deckers, TMs), and drone riggers playable now?

I want him to have the best possible experience with this.

-paws

They have always been playable  ;). But seriously, I've been running mission games at conventions for almost six years and have never had a problem with magicians, hackers, or riggers of any flavor.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

pathogen

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-28-16/1453:51> »
My son and I would like to play Shadowrun game at Origins in June. Last year we we went through the Build a Runner workshop and played the First Taste mission, but haven't gotten a game in since. My son wants something more substantial than another run through of First Taste.

Could we enter a Shadowrun event at Origins without damaging the experience for experienced players? Any events that are better for newer players? We are generally familiar with the rules, but we won't be able to get a full game experience before the convention.

My son is 14, an experienced gamer (mostly  wargames), loves complex rules and is in love with the Shadowrun setting.

Thanks for any advice.

It's a little late now for this reply. But I'd say all you really need to bring is a good attitude and you won't "damage the experience for experienced players," don't worry about that!

Having said that... so, how did it go?