NEWS

No love for the City of Brotherly Love?

• 10 Replies

Cogni

• Newb
« on: <10-16-18/2024:50> »
I'm new to 5E, but not new to Shadowrun. I'm running a campaign for my gaming group and was wondering, are there any references or or sources for the Sixth World version of Philadelphia? I know Humanis HQ is there, but that's the only official reference I've found. Any help would be appreciated.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-16-18/2040:28> »
I'm new to 5E, but not new to Shadowrun. I'm running a campaign for my gaming group and was wondering, are there any references or or sources for the Sixth World version of Philadelphia? I know Humanis HQ is there, but that's the only official reference I've found. Any help would be appreciated.

They're few and far between.  IIRC there's some sparse details in the Neo Anarchist's Guide to North America.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-18/2303:32> »
Philadelphia suffers from being too close geographically to Manhattan. You already have Seattle, LA, Denver, Manhattan, DeeCee... You sometimes get stuff on Atlanta or Cara'sir, since those are national capitols. But that's a lot of coverage for sprawls in the US, and then you have NeoTokyo, Hong Kong, Lagos, all of Europe, whatever parts of Africa you feel like running scared from, Australia, Aztlan, Amazonia, and so on. And don't forget Space, what with ZO up there, and the Monads on Mars. Oh, and there's the stuff in Antarctica...

So yeah, lots of stuff to cover, and not many books to do it in. So Philly doesn't get covered much. Hell, Detroit doesn't get covered much, despite (or because of) it being a AAA's world HQ.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Cogni

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-16-18/2352:12> »
Philadelphia suffers from being too close geographically to Manhattan. You already have Seattle, LA, Denver, Manhattan, DeeCee... You sometimes get stuff on Atlanta or Cara'sir, since those are national capitols. But that's a lot of coverage for sprawls in the US, and then you have NeoTokyo, Hong Kong, Lagos, all of Europe, whatever parts of Africa you feel like running scared from, Australia, Aztlan, Amazonia, and so on. And don't forget Space, what with ZO up there, and the Monads on Mars. Oh, and there's the stuff in Antarctica...

So yeah, lots of stuff to cover, and not many books to do it in. So Philly doesn't get covered much. Hell, Detroit doesn't get covered much, despite (or because of) it being a AAA's world HQ.

Those are all good points. I would have imagined that Philly would get some mention in regards to being so close to DeeCee and Boston. At least in regards to all the fallout of nearby global events.

Really it sounds like I'll have to write something up myself.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-17-18/0037:32> »
The wikia-entry is rather short, but it does give insight in Organized Crime, which runners will often deal with.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Philadelphia
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <10-17-18/0808:39> »
The problem, Cogni, is that, as you said, Philadelphia is basically only important as it relates to things going on in other sprawls which do get covered more. (And note that Boston didn't have much coverage going on except notes that the stock exchange moved there for a while after Crash 2.0 until the Lockdown happened.)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #6 on: <10-17-18/0847:02> »
Some unnoficial love for it:

- a world-builder session on the shadowrun reddit:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/2i03r9/worldbuilder_wednesday_shadows_of_philadelphia/

- the german wiki shadowhelix is usually better than the english one at being complete and up to date.  Use google translate and check their sources and you'll find all that is official:  https://shadowhelix.de/Philadelphia

- Sidslick has done a number of unofficial city write ups, and has them in a drop box.  According to the thread https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18008.0 that includes Philly (I can't access dropbox from work to double check).  Link to the drop box is in the thread.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-17-18/0918:49> »

I'm still trying to find that reference, just to settle a couple of questions. It seems pretty isolated, as in there was no follow-up.

Cogni

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-17-18/1202:07> »

I'm still trying to find that reference, just to settle a couple of questions. It seems pretty isolated, as in there was no follow-up.

Humanis HQ has always been in Philly, as far back as 3 or 4E I think. What little I could find was on the Shadowrun Wiki.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-18-18/0003:36> »
By (fragmentary) memory, the reference is older than that - at least going back to SR2.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <10-18-18/0029:47> »
Wikia notes a 1st edition adventure as source.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!