Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

[6E] Edge limits and bonus edge for immediate use

(1/4) > >>

Multifish2:
There are quite a lot of rules that grant a bonus edge for immediate use with a specific action or lose it (which I'll refer to as temporary edge); this leads to some questions when combined with the different edge limits.

1. What happens if this occurs when the player already has their maximum of 7 edge?
Do they gain a temporary 8th edge, so could spend 1 edge on that action and still end with 7 or do they just lose the bonus, so if they spend 1 edge on the action end with 6.

2. Does this temporary edge count towards the limit of 2 bonus points of Edge in a combat round?

3. Does spending this temporary edge count as their 1 expenditure of edge for this action?

Many thanks

Xenon:
They are regular edge points that follow regular edge rules.
The only exception is that this edge point is lost once the action is completed.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
So yes, technically speaking there's no difference between bankable Edge and use-or-lose Edge.

Speaking personally though, I like to think of use-or-lose Edge as being exempted from all other Edge limitations.  On the basis of "use it or lose it" being the specific that trumps general.

MercilessMing:
As I read it:
1: They can't gain the Edge.  Gaining a temporary edge is still gaining edge even if you don't bank it.
2: Yes it still counts, I don't think the book makes a distinction between bankable and temporary edge.
3: Yes, if you spend that edge then that's your edge expenditure.  You can combine it with other edge for a bigger effect though of course.

If you think those edge rules are too prohibitive though, you could exempt temporary edge or change the rule to how many edge you can bank per turn.

Xenon:

--- Quote from: Multifish2 on ---1. What happens if this occurs when the player already has their maximum of 7 edge?
--- End quote ---
You can't spend 8 Edge on an action where you gained a bonus edge, if that is what you are asking. The limit of number of Edge points you can have is 7 (even if your Edge Attribute is lower).

--- Quote from: Multifish2 on ---2. Does this temporary edge count towards the limit of 2 bonus points of Edge in a combat round?
--- End quote ---
It count as if you are gaining a point of Edge which mean you can only gain one more point of edge during this combat turn.

Having said that, I would personally house rule this as if you gained one point of edge if you actually used it, but if you choose to not use it then the point was taken away and I would rule that it does not count as if you already gained a point of edge during this combat turn.

--- Quote from: Multifish2 on ---3. Does spending this temporary edge count as their 1 expenditure of edge for this action?
--- End quote ---
You are not allowed to take two different edge boosts linked to one action just because you gain a bonus edge point that have to be spend on this action, if that is what you are asking. You are only allowed to take one Edge boost per action (but you can take the same Edge boost multiple times, for example you can re roll several dice by spending several edge at once).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version