NEWS

NT Themed Weapons to Core Conversion

• 17 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« on: <06-08-18/0049:32> »
Ok I'll bite.

Bokken - Same Stats as a Katana except S rather then P and can be used with Blades instead of Clubs.)
Katana- It's already done bro!
Wakizashi- It's a sword, 'cause it's smaller then a katana and bigger then bread knife!
Tanto-Combat Knife OG
Nodachi- ye olde Claymore
Naginata- Polearm (Cause who doesn't love really big sticks with blades on the end?)
Bo/Jo Staves- They're Staves Son, says it right in the name!

Now we get into more esoteric
Nunchaku It's really a flail, but as we don't have stats for one in 5th. next best thing is a Telescoping staff, it has good reach for being a fancy club.
kasuri gama- It's both a chain and a Cougar fine blade (Long). I'd assign it an exotic weapon skill, as it's two weapons in one, pick which one you want to use and roll away.
Tonfa- Extendable baton, i'd give a bonus to parry but i guess that's not allowed?
Sai- All the examples I've seen are not sharp, so to me these are fancy parrying clubs, so I'm gonna go with Extendable baton. If it they were sharpened, Couger Fine blade (Short), again something i would give a die bonus to parry.
Kama- Cougar fine Blade (Long), when used like they were intended, they should really have a longer reach, but life is not perfect.
Tetsubo- Combat Axe

« Last Edit: <06-08-18/1726:05> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-08-18/0824:00> »
A tetsubo is a giant weighted club, so wouldn't a weapon like the osmium mace be more appropriate?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-08-18/1202:45> »
A tetsubo is a giant weighted club, so wouldn't a weapon like the osmium mace be more appropriate?
I did consider it. But I thought it was to high tech for it. But if you think it's better I'm perfectly happy to swap it in?
« Last Edit: <06-08-18/1207:42> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <06-08-18/1425:59> »
I did consider it. But I thought it was to high tech for it. But if you think it's better I'm perfectly happy to swap it in?

Not the Osmium Mace!  It is a very exceptional weapon -- quite high tech as noted -- designed for the size and strength of trolls.  The tetsubo may be a giant weighted club -- but that is by human standards. 

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-08-18/1457:08> »
Keep in mind the FAQ says Reach 1 weapons are usually ignored, Reach 2 Weapons are likely going to draw attention.  And Reach 1 Weapons are problematic when combined with other things, like WWT, inappropriate armor, other legal weapons, obvious combat augmentations, loitering....

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-08-18/1649:52> »
Keep in mind the FAQ says Reach 1 weapons are usually ignored, Reach 2 Weapons are likely going to draw attention.  And Reach 1 Weapons are problematic when combined with other things, like WWT, inappropriate armor, other legal weapons, obvious combat augmentations, loitering....

That's all true but I wasn't looking weapon legality I was looking at what I thought would be the most true match. Legality is some else's issue. For me the question is do folk think that list is in ballpark, or am I way off base?
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-08-18/1702:41> »
Big (for a human) two handed weapon that does damage based on mass?  Use Combat Axe stats and call it a day.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-08-18/1716:20> »
Ok I'll bite.

Bokken - Same Stats as a Katana except S rather then P and can be used with Blades instead of Clubs.)
Wakizashi- It's Sword, cause it's smaller then katana and bigger then bread knife!
Tanto-Combat Knife
Naginata- Polearm (Cause who doesn't love really big stick blades on the end?)

Nunchaku It's really a flail, but as we don't have stats for on in 5th next best thing is a Telescoping staff, it has good reach for being a fancy club.
kasuri gama- It's both a chain and a Cougar fine blade (Long). I'd assign it an exotic weapon skill, as it's two weapons in one, pick which one you want to use and roll away.
Tonfa- Extendable baton, i'd give a bonus to parry but i guess that's not allowed?
Sai- All the examples I've seen are not sharp, so to me these are fancy parrying clubs, so I'm gonna go with Extendable baton. If it they were sharpened, Couger Fine blade (Short), again something i would give a die bonus to parry.
Kama- Cougar fine Blade (Long), when used like they were intended, they should really have a longer reach, but life is not perfect.
Tetsubo- Combat Axe

Since we are doing reskins only, I thought, and a bokken shouldn't have a -3 AP, I would use club instead.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-08-18/1754:59> »

Since we are doing reskins only, I thought, and a bokken shouldn't have a -3 AP, I would use club instead.

5E club stats are a 1-H weapon.  Arguably the energy from a blunt weapon would transmit through armor as well as anything else.  Just wouldn't cut/rip/penetrate the armor, merely pulverize the meat and bone underneath.  At least that's how I'd fluff it as a GM. 

There are only.... 3?  Two Handed melee weapons in SR5 Combat Axe, Highland Forge Claymore, and Polearm.  Combat Axe seems like the best fit, unless I've forgotten something. 

All IMO of course  :  )   and not that SR5 has much RAW on one-handed/Two-handed weapons in any case...

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-08-18/1832:30> »

5E club stats are a 1-H weapon.  Arguably the energy from a blunt weapon would transmit through armor as well as anything else.  Just wouldn't cut/rip/penetrate the armor, merely pulverize the meat and bone underneath.  At least that's how I'd fluff it as a GM. 

There are only.... 3?  Two Handed melee weapons in SR5 Combat Axe, Highland Forge Claymore, and Polearm.  Combat Axe seems like the best fit, unless I've forgotten something. 

All IMO of course  :  )   and not that SR5 has much RAW on one-handed/Two-handed weapons in any case...

That's fair many people justify AP on blunt weapons that way. I didn't know there was a clarification for 1-H vs. 2-H weapons, for my future information, where is that?

I had simply looked at the description and stats of the club and from my experience with the bokken thought that it fit with what they where saying that a club was.

SRC P. 422
Club: The weapon they named the skill after. These stats represent a range of objects, including an axe handle, baseball bat, wrench, crowbar, a tire iron, and a two-by-four with a rusty nail in it. There is a price listed, but it’s not overly difficult to find one for free if you know where to look.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-08-18/1924:33> »
Club? No.
It's a katana that does stun.
It's not a baseball bat.
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-08-18/1930:06> »
Arguably the energy from a blunt weapon would transmit through armor as well as anything else.  Just wouldn't cut/rip/penetrate the armor, merely pulverize the meat and bone underneath.  At least that's how I'd fluff it as a GM.

Arguably, the function of armor is to distribute the impact of a blow across a larger surface, spreading out the blow which allows it to be absorbed more easily. When a weapon penetrates the armor it bypasses that protection, reducing the effectiveness of the armor. Since blunt weapons lack the ability to actually penetrate the armor, they would lack the quality of Armor Penetration. That's why most club weapons lack an AP value. They definitely aren't going to have the penetrating power of a Combat Axe or Katana.

Definitely do wish there was a little more variety of club weapons though...

Club? No.
It's a katana that does stun.
It's not a baseball bat.

Have you hit someone with a boken? It's not that different from a baseball bat. A boken is just a piece of wood shaped to resemble a sword. Are you perhaps thinking of a Shinai? The kendo practice sword? That's a weapon designed to soften the blow, so it would be more reasonable to deal Stun damage.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-08-18/2031:16> »

Have you hit someone with a boken? It's not that different from a baseball bat. A boken is just a piece of wood shaped to resemble a sword. Are you perhaps thinking of a Shinai? The kendo practice sword? That's a weapon designed to soften the blow, so it would be more reasonable to deal Stun damage.

Shinai is also acceptable.
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <06-08-18/2032:54> »

Shinai - Same Stats as a Katana except S rather then P and can be used with Blades instead of Clubs.
Bokken- Club
Wakizashi- It's a sword, 'cause it's smaller then a katana and bigger then bread knife!
Tanto-Combat Knife OG
Naginata- Polearm (Cause who doesn't love really big sticks with blades on the end?)

Nunchaku It's really a flail, but as we don't have stats for one in 5th. next best thing is a Telescoping staff, it has good reach for being a fancy club.
Tetsubo- Combat Axe
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-09-18/1035:32> »
That's fair many people justify AP on blunt weapons that way. I didn't know there was a clarification for 1-H vs. 2-H weapons, for my future information, where is that?

None whatsoever.  If your GM is cool with you dual wielding Combat Axes with a pair of Riot shields strapped on for kicks, rock on.  But there is nothing RAW about what you can hold, how many hands something takes, or any of that.  Rule of Cool and GM call is really it.