NEWS

ETA on Errata

• 119 Replies

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <10-14-13/2303:33> »
It's been three months from release, almost one from the physical release. Wonder how long it'll be?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #31 on: <10-15-13/0006:39> »
took almost 13 months for the SR4 errata.

So don't hold you breath it will be tomorrow, or the next day. Or even next week.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-15-13/0012:18> »
OK, thanks. The signature through me as I don't know who is who most of the time. I will go back and read through the posts more thoroughly. I really appreciate the quick response.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-15-13/0912:31> »
took almost 13 months for the SR4 errata.

So don't hold you breath it will be tomorrow, or the next day. Or even next week.

Let's hope that it's ready a little sooner than this... :(

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <10-15-13/1220:06> »
Well, they have to organize, clarify, compile, test, write, retest, modify and expand all the legitimate problems.
This is on top of all the work for the new books being worked on.

and don't forget, catalyst is made up of a REALLY tiny core staff, supported by some great freelance talent. This is not Hasbro with 3000 employees, and this is not piazo, with 40 years of publishing experience (took them 10 months for the pathfinder errata)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <10-15-13/1817:29> »
Fair points. ;)

However, CGL has opted not to comment on the situation...other than the efforts of several dedicated freelancers. I have no idea how much work is involved, or how long it will take (though pretty clear that it's sizable).

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <10-15-13/1857:12> »
its pretty clear from posts by Aaron, Patrick, CanRay, Bull, and Hardy that they are aware of the need for an errata, and they are working on it, but you would have to read through dozens and dozens of threads to know that. (it's not been a central topic posting but spread all over the place).

As for an ETA, I am going with my gut ( and keep in mind, I am not employed by Catalyst, nor have any advanced, "inside" sources) and think that you can expect a Errata to be published sometime in the new year.... but most likely closer to March 2014.

That, of course is if they do not decide to release the errata in the upcoming sourcebooks based on topic. Meaning the Magic errata in the magic sourcebook, the Rigging errata in the riggers book, etc..

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <10-15-13/1944:48> »
I'm hoping a bit faster myself, specifically before the third printing. Gaming club won't buy an unerrata'd printing.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #38 on: <10-15-13/2021:58> »
Reaver brings up a good point.

Is Catalyst going to sell the errata?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <10-15-13/2125:27> »
generally, you don't sell an errata...

Think of an errata as an update to your computer. Once you have the software, the updates are "free" (minus the bandwidth to download it, and your time).

However, it is not unheard of for publishers to NOT print an errata, but to publish an expansion book with "New, Updated <insert game mechanic here> rules" that superceide the core book. (looking at you WoTC).

So to get the "errata'd rules" you had to buy the new sourcebook. That has been WoTC way of doing things since Hasbro bought them out.

But Hasbro is a soulless megacorp of the gaming and toy industry of our time. Nothing matters to them but the bottom line.

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #40 on: <10-15-13/2146:05> »
I love it when someone so clearly in the know educates me in the truth.

WotC and TSR before them have always provided any existing errata for most if not all of their products free or free with postage. Been playing RPGs since 1978, got updates for many a game with an SASE (look it up, kids). TSR and WoTC were first among game companies with a web presence, and one of the first things they did was get their support docs up. Whatever you dislike about their size or the amount of fictional spirit juice they possess, WotC treats their customers great. Soulless, eh? We're all soulless buddy.

Anyways... back on topic: does anyone from CGL have anything one way or the other to say about providing corrections for some of the errors in the books? Is it going to happen, or not?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <10-15-13/2154:31> »
I guess time will tell, though I don't see them going this route.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <10-15-13/2203:57> »
No, based on CGL's previous history of errata, it will be free, and will be available on the main webpage for download, as well as available from DrivethruRPG and other download sites as well.

And Dangersaurus:

TSR and WoTC were Great for their customer service.... BEFORE they were bought out by Hasbro. (2006?? 2007?)

but Hasbro? Hasbro has NEVER had good customer service or business practices. Talk to those in the industry that has had to deal with Hasbro, and they either remain tight lipped, or give you the 2 word answer of "NEVER, again".  (IE: Monty Cook)

Do not confuse the 2 (3).

TSR pre-sell, GREAT customer service.
WotC pre-sell, Good customer service.
Hasbro. You're a customer? too bad for you.

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <10-16-13/0116:17> »
So to get the "errata'd rules" you had to buy the new sourcebook. That has been WoTC way of doing things since Hasbro bought them out.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updatesarchive
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dndplayershandbook2ndeditionerrata.asp

That's just the last three-and-a-half editions.

BEFORE they were bought out by Hasbro. (2006?? 2007?)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <10-16-13/0124:27> »
well, anyone got a hanky for the egg on my face?

All I can tell you is I and many others have been extremely dis-satisfied with Hasbro and their handling of WoTC since they took a more direct hand in WoTC  (2006/2007).

And yes you can find their Erratas online, but they have also changed and included those changes in the form of "advanced" and "updated" rules in a number of sourcebooks over the years.