NEWS

Setting the mood, what do you guys do?

• 7 Replies

DocRock089

• Newb
« on: <10-17-18/0926:15> »
Hey, guys!

Just getting back into Shadowrun and GMing, and I've been wondering what you guys have been using to set the mood for shadowrun at the table.
Any decorations, foodstuffs, BG music you're particularily keen on sharing? Any texts, music you read/play prior to starting? Dimmed light? Do you play on the couch, at a table....?

thanks in advance, guys!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-17-18/1130:33> »
Early campaigns played mostly in college dorm rooms. As GM, I usually sat cross-legged on the bed surrounded by books and notes. Players found comfortable spots on the floor. One lucky player would get the chair by the desk, but only so long as they stayed in it ... as soon as that chair was empty, someone else would steal it. Anyone who bought the GM a soda earned one extra karma (I was greedy and self-centered then, like a good Mr. Johnson). AC/DC in the CD player, until it got distracting.

Later, we usually played in someone's living room. As GM, I'd claim the spot closest to the coffee table. Other players would spread out on sofas, armchairs, or the floor. Anyone who brought snacks or drinks for the whole group earned one extra karma (see? evidence of personal growth). Still AC/DC in the CD player, though.

These days, we mostly play at the dinner table with the GM at one end. Everyone usually shows up with food or drinks to share; no extra karma for that. AC/DC plays from my laptop to a Bluetooth speaker. To set the mood, we go around the table and each player says what their character did during their downtime between runs. The most "shadowrun" story is worth an extra Edge point in that session.

PingGuy

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-17-18/1239:50> »
I've seen people reference AC/DC in Shadowrun music threads before, I just never understood why.  I've leaned more towards 90's futuristic tunes myself.  God Lives Underwater, Stabbing Westward, Skinny Puppy, the more obscure stuff.  Mix that in with the Johnny Mnemonic Soundtrack, the Hackers Soundtrack, maybe some stuff from The Matrix, and of course the Tron Soundtrack by Daft Punk.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <10-17-18/2242:03> »
I currently host two different groups. (I GM one, and play in the other.)

For the one I GM:

Usually just a bucket of ice with 24 beer in it.

For the group that I play in:

The above, with ashtrays.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-17-18/2310:12> »
I'm a fan of Billy Idol's Cyberpunk album.  The opening manifesto is perfect for beginning the session and getting players' heads in the zone.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #5 on: <10-18-18/0535:04> »
We operate under a bring-your-own-booze principle with usually rock/metal music in the background. Ice T’s Cop Killer album is a repeat offender followed by Foo Fighters
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

ordeiberon

• Newb
  • We are but a stepping stone to what we can become
« Reply #6 on: <10-20-18/2047:21> »
For me Shadowrun is forever associated with the synthwave genre and so I created a playlist of harder edged synthwave that fits the mood well.

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLKrg6IxteekcQj_2kb_ZoyH-L1IxIuVv

As for food, I like Little Ceaser's pizza. For some reason the square deep dish feels very futuristic corporate packaged food while still being tasty. Stuff crust with cheese more so.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-18/1702:55> »
I'm a big fan of background ambience. We usually play in my living room so I have full access to the setup I need for music and visual aids. Usually I'll put on a "cyberpunk/futuristic" play list and have it on random. The one I currently use is https://open.spotify.com/user/dondemon/playlist/3upJSeV6lAHhMTuraNg5J4?si=gl6u05wLQEq34xmQxlB0qQ

As well, I use either Ambient Mixer https://www.ambient-mixer.com or YouTube to put on a track of thematic sound effects. Rain, busy city streets, the creaking of a derelict ship, creepy temple drums, all if these add a distinct flavour to what the PCs are doing in game.

And lastly the visuals. I find being able to pull up images on my TV through my home network is great for giving the players something to reference. I like describing details too, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's nice to say "You run aelroumd the corner into the alley and see a monstrous cybered creature that looks like this" and then pop up an image I found earlier somewhere.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp