NEWS

custom spells?

• 34 Replies

Jeeves

• Chummer
« on: <12-01-10/1855:22> »
I'm trying to come up with new spells that arent in the books. I'm looking for new ideas. If possible, go ahead and post the description of the spell, including what force effects and stuff it has.

The one's I've come up with are called

"Derp" aka "Murphy's Law". Force reduces the number of ones needed to glitch. (not sure if this is possible in the sixth world. let me know.)
Area effect of Derp is Herpdederp

"Brown note." spell causes person to temporarily lose bowel controll, invoking minuses.

"Itchy," spell causes characters to feel uncomfortable itching. Force dictates severety. incurrs a penalty on composure checks.

What do you think? I'm not looking for drain values, i can calculate those myself. feel free to post funny, serious, and so on.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <12-02-10/0814:48> »
Someone just red Transmetropolitan. Yes, we hate it here too. :)
Have fun with your Bowel Disruptor.

As for my opinion:

1. That would be either a minor annoyance, or a major setback, depending on dis/allowing of critical glitches caused this way. I'd go with: instant effect, each hit after the resistance test turns one die result into a '1' on the victim's next test. So, if you roll good enough, and the target doesn't resist (maybe with Willpower+Edge, as it's a luck-affecting spell), you can make him crit-glitch his attack/defense roll. And i'd make the drain value high.
2. Not touching that one. Too messy. :P
3. A general 'dice pool penalty' spell. Nothing serious, but it has a good effect on target's actions.
« Last Edit: <12-02-10/0819:59> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-02-10/1755:15> »
2. Apply the Nausea effect for drugs, with Power equal to Force + net hits.
3. Seems like this is a sense-specific version of the Confusion/Chaotic World spell.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #3 on: <12-03-10/1845:50> »
The only custom spell I currently use is one I made a while back called Disassemble.  It does exactly what it says: takes things apart.  It's a permanent, touch range Manipulation spell that disassembles an object into its component parts.  So a toaster becomes a pile of wires, metal plates, and molded plastic knobs; handcuffs fall apart into a pile of metal; and so on.  It does no damage to the item and can't break welds (but I decided solder was reasonable) and the parts are perfectly fine so you could potentially put the object back together again.  If you had the time, knowledge, and skill to do so.  You, obviously, have to overcome the object's resistance.  Especially large and/or complex objects (cars, commlinks, motorcycles, etc) can only be broken down in piecemeal; e.g. a door, then the engine, and so on.  I'm careful with how I rule on it because it's potentially a very powerful.  We mainly use it to "open" doors, remove handcuffs, disabled vehicles, and so on.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <12-03-10/2055:12> »
The only custom spell I currently use is one I made a while back called Disassemble.  It does exactly what it says: takes things apart.  It's a permanent, touch range Manipulation spell that disassembles an object into its component parts.  So a toaster becomes a pile of wires, metal plates, and molded plastic knobs; handcuffs fall apart into a pile of metal; and so on.  It does no damage to the item and can't break welds (but I decided solder was reasonable) and the parts are perfectly fine so you could potentially put the object back together again.  If you had the time, knowledge, and skill to do so.  You, obviously, have to overcome the object's resistance.  Especially large and/or complex objects (cars, commlinks, motorcycles, etc) can only be broken down in piecemeal; e.g. a door, then the engine, and so on.  I'm careful with how I rule on it because it's potentially a very powerful.  We mainly use it to "open" doors, remove handcuffs, disabled vehicles, and so on.
NO DISASSEMBLE JOHNNY 5!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-04-10/1754:04> »
The solder is a weld.  Unless you are using some advanced nanotech welding.  That said, most stuff isn't welded in significantly large amounts (most aren't welded at all).

While the bad luck spell is interesting, the drain should be pretty heavy.  Even heavier if it is sustainable.  F/2+4 or +5 at a minimum would be my judgement.  Have each hit reduce the number of 1's needed for a glitch by 1 (up to rating in Force).  This puts a big damper on the opposition, as even with larger dice pools to increase the number of 1's required for a glitch, the odds of getting a 1 start ramping up a lot.  It looks cool, and I can even see it being a spirit power.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #6 on: <12-04-10/2024:34> »
Solder is a braze, not a weld.

In welding, the two subject metals actually melt and fuze together (usually with the help of a filler metal).

In brazing, an alloy of copper, zinc, lead, and/or various other metals with a lower melting point than the two metals being joined is melted and used to bond the two components together.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #7 on: <12-06-10/1716:55> »
Gun Nut, I know there isn't much welding in most things, I just thought I'd cover it from the start.  I just figured that the parts welding together would remain stuck together at the weld.  And I ruled solder different mostly because I can pull solder apart with my hands.  At least, I can pull apart the solders I frequently encounter in the electronics I tear apart.  Also, what Chaemera said.   :D

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <12-10-10/0954:05> »
How about a milder variety of "Turn to Goo", a spell for making your or anotherīs limbs more supple? Perfect for moving through tight spaces or slipping out of handcuffs. Semi-liquid bones, sort of.
And maybe you could use it on that pesky bouncer troll, just a quick touch and presto! "Ham and eggs, you got no legs!" And watch his knees go all spaghetti-like (not even al dente here). *grin*
"If you donīt stop driving through walls Iīm going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <12-10-10/1024:03> »
How about a milder variety of "Turn to Goo", a spell for making your or anotherīs limbs more supple? Perfect for moving through tight spaces or slipping out of handcuffs. Semi-liquid bones, sort of.
And maybe you could use it on that pesky bouncer troll, just a quick touch and presto! "Ham and eggs, you got no legs!" And watch his knees go all spaghetti-like (not even al dente here). *grin*
Brackium Emendo!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-10-10/1517:47> »
Sounds like the Earthdawn spell bone pudding.  Except without the fun and half the calories!
There is no overkill.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #11 on: <12-10-10/1908:52> »
God I love that spell.  Hell, I just love Nethermancy in general.  What other magic lets you create lifeforms?  Sure, it's long, laborious, difficult, expensive and really, really gross, but it's so cool.   ;D

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-11-10/0917:43> »
Any Nethermancer that high Circle who hasn't made him/herself some guilt free sex toys doesn't deserve the title.
There is no overkill.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #13 on: <12-11-10/1210:54> »
Sounds like the Earthdawn spell bone pudding.  Except without the fun and half the calories!
You have more of ED-conversions. Like Bone Dance (Control Actions), and such. They're nice.

And well, you can make a <material>-man. Good thing obsidimen have no gender, eh?
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-11-10/1345:03> »
Oh, no.  The Nethermancer spell create life allows the caster to tailor the lifeform based upon whatever ingredients he has inserted into the brew (with all the icky creepiness that little statement entails).  So, if said Nethermancer had a fetish for human sized windling she-males with scaly t'skrang skin...well...
There is no overkill.