NEWS

Breaking into a Maximum Security Prison?

• 7 Replies

Nautilust

• Newb
« on: <07-09-18/1606:09> »
Hey ladies and gents, I need a good baseline idea of what it would be like to break into a Maximum Security Prison in the 70's.

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-10-18/0906:49> »
Well, security is in 3 parts: physical/ matrix/ magic.

#/ Physical would include walls/ gates/ 3 layers of fences/ etc. but also scanners of highest ratings, armed drones, guards, probably bio-engineered critters as well.

#/ Matrix, mainly to protect physical assets, eg. the drones, weapons, scanners of the facility. Pretty high, black IC.

#/ Magic would need to be very robust, with warded areas and patrolling spirits of reasonably high force, especially to stop this sort of thing happening:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/world/europe/france-jailbreak-redoine-faid.html

But hey, go hog wild with this! I think if I was the runners trying to break in, I'd want someone on the inside, maybe kidnap a guard's wife and children, to ensure his loyalty. Illusion magic/ mind magic would get you in and out best, just watch out for those spirits...
The system we learn says we're equal under law
But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-10-18/1152:19> »
If the plan is to use prisoner visitation as a component of your ingress:

Random joes don't just get to show up and visit a prisoner.  You'll have to get the prisoner to add you to his list of authorized visitors and then wait to be vetted by investigators.  Or, perhaps more plausibly in the context of shadowrunners, hack your way on to the list.

Once on the list and able to schedule a visit break-in, you'll assuredly need to satisfy or bypass a decent SIN verification system.  And it won't be an easy-to fool one at a maximum security prison... rating 4 at the minimum and I'd say probably more like a 5.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <07-10-18/1317:10> »
Other things to keep in mind,

Cyberware is removed from people once they are convicted, so anyone in a Max security prison is Sans cyber.

SOP for magic convicts is either A: keep them drugged up and disorientated for the duration of the sentence (short term) Or B: To burn them out through needless implants. Nothing like 50 datajacks installed, then removed to drop that essense!).

Max Security prisons are the property of Corporations and not the State. With all that implies!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-10-18/1345:34> »
There are some fun ideas for staging a prison break on this thread.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-10-18/1858:58> »
There are always the times that prisoners (even ones in lock down) have a mandatory hour of time in the yard, giving would-be rescuers the chance to fly in that helicopter (Faid-style).
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-18/1810:02> »
I think it was the 4e book Vice that had a write up about a prison break...

Drones buzzing about with full auto weapons, hell hounds running loose in the area between the fencing, land mines, and mono wire. Oh my!

(I got the feeling that this prision was on an island somewhere)

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-17-18/0132:06> »
Thanks everyone, you gave me a better idea of what it will be like. Like I thought it's going to be High Intensity, everyone will be tested.

I'm thinking multiple layers/waves of defenses in all forms. If they decide to assault it and break in; it will be a siege, and some if not all may die. If they decide a stealthy approach they'll not only have to fool all defenses on the way in, but while there and on the way out. This will keep them on their feet and challenge them.

I'm thinking the first 1-4 missions will all tie in to this mission. They'll pick up assistance for this Prison Break, but may not know it.  Then when they have the meeting for this mission they'll find out what everything has been for; then, it'll serve as the closer to this "campaign."