NEWS

Attribute Values of One

• 21 Replies

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-03-15/0016:45> »
I once saw a character w/STR, LOG and CHA all 1's, Muscle Toner[3] for AGI 6(9) with just Perception, Exotic(Monowhip) and Automatics at Rating 6...

The GM wrote "Nope!"...
« Last Edit: <12-16-15/1852:34> by gradivus »
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <12-13-15/1837:42> »
I personally don't like 1's on my own characters, but its more for RP reasons than anything else.  I can live with a few 2's.

Mechanically, a 1 means that you are bad enough in that particular area that unless you have training (i.e. some skill points) you automatically fail at anything that is hard enough to require a skill roll.  Now, there are people around out there that will tell you a 1 logic means you are a drooling idiot that has to be lead around on a chain and pointed at the badguys.  I don't believe this is the case.  And one low score doesn't mean that other areas are low.  If you have a 1 logic you can still be very personable and charming (high chr) very perceptive (high intuition) and focused (high willpower).  But when it comes to abstract reasoning, academics, and memory, you are just plain horrible.  Math beyond basic arithmetic is a mystery.  Pretty much anything beyond social media and send a text on a computer is not going to happen.  Tools?  Put them down chummer and back away slowly.

I think worse is the 1 charisma character.  If you dump charisma you MUST put a few points into at least etiquette or you are a disaster waiting to happen.  I personally like to have a pool of at least 4 in etiquette, as you can buy one hit and I take this to mean you have rudimentary social graces, you know, eat with a knife and fork,  not to call the yakuza member offering you the job "squinty", and you can recognize when to shut up and let other people talk, with is often half the battle.  1 chr and no skills basically means that if there is any chance that you will offend, stand out, anger someone, or get the worst possible price on something, you will. 

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #17 on: <12-14-15/0435:39> »
I think worse is the 1 charisma character.  If you dump charisma you MUST put a few points into at least etiquette or you are a disaster waiting to happen.  I personally like to have a pool of at least 4 in etiquette, as you can buy one hit and I take this to mean you have rudimentary social graces, you know, eat with a knife and fork,  not to call the yakuza member offering you the job "squinty", and you can recognize when to shut up and let other people talk, with is often half the battle.  1 chr and no skills basically means that if there is any chance that you will offend, stand out, anger someone, or get the worst possible price on something, you will.

What you described is basically the same as the "1 LOG means drooling idiot".  And if those basic things require a 4 dice pool for Etiquette, then someone would have to either have the skill (no skill should be required for basic functions in the world-- even commlink use doesn't require a Computer skill) or else 5 Charisma, which is supposed to be exceptional.

It doesn't take a roll to not be racist, and to not say a damn thing.  If they require rolls, you have a negative quality.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <12-14-15/1012:45> »

What you described is basically the same as the "1 LOG means drooling idiot".  And if those basic things require a 4 dice pool for Etiquette, then someone would have to either have the skill (no skill should be required for basic functions in the

It doesn't take a roll to not be racist, and to not say a damn thing.  If they require rolls, you have a negative quality.world-- even commlink use doesn't require a Computer skill) or else 5 Charisma, which is supposed to be exceptional.

Thats not what I am saying.  As I said in my original post, you fail at things HARD ENOUGH TO REQUIRE A ROLL.  The problem with Charisma situations is that those rolls are often forced on  you by the GM.  Its less so than with logic.  Logic comes up more often when you are actively trying something.  The 1 charisma character can buy a burrito at Stuffer Shack without an issue, but there are probably going to be critical points where you have to talk to someone.  If the meet with the Yakuza boss in in a dark ally, sure the troll can stand in back and keep his mouth shut.  If its a long formal dinner, and the Yakuza man is prejudiced against non-Japanese, and you have to come off like something other than a dogmeat eating barbarian, then you can be in trouble. 

And as I said, the 1 log character can still do social media, place a comcall, send a text, etc, but probably has trouble with matrix actions more complex than that.  A matrix search more complicate than finding the main web page of a business, for example, would probably elude them.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #19 on: <12-14-15/1047:36> »
Here is one way I’ve started to look at it:

- Homer Simpson probably has a logic of one,

- Mr. Burns has strength and body of one (on top of additional negative qualities, granted),

- Barney Gumble has a willpower of one (and obviously an addiction to alcohol, but the show shows his lack of general willpower),

- Millhouse might have a charisma of one (it depends a bit on the episode, sometimes he seems better able to influence people than others),

- Ralph Wiggum probably has an intuition of one (as well as low charisma, and, well, I’m not sure what he isn’t awful at). 

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <12-16-15/1606:15> »
either way, shock gloves/hands are a touch attack so the +2DP helps using them and a low STR matters not.

As far as 1s... I only roll my eyes when I start seeing multiple 1s on attributes (if it's modified by magic/'ware above 1 it's not a 1 in my eyes btw).
« Last Edit: <12-16-15/1607:56> by gradivus »
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <12-16-15/1637:14> »
either way, shock gloves/hands are a touch attack so the +2DP helps using them
You can take the +2DP, but it's packaged with the choice of whether you want to add net hits to DV, or change who breaks ties.