NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #900 on: <01-15-15/1813:03> »
The bullets did hit Wolf and explode. Wolf just soaked all the damage.

I can change that.

I envision the spirit's immunity to normal weapons as due to their ethereal nature in the material world. To borrow terms from D&D, it's like a vampire's mist form or a ghost's ethereal form giving them the insubstantial quality, making them take less damage from many (most?) attacks.

So, when I described it, the bullets did hit him, they just went through his body harmlessly instead of being stopped by armor.

But, it's better that we are on the same page descriptively, and I suppose having them pass through Wolf doesn't fit with the crunch as then you'd have to determine what they hit on the other side and make appropriate defense/damage rolls. So, updating IC to reflect Wolf's badass bulletproof body.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #901 on: <01-15-15/1823:16> »
If Wolf had manifested this is what would have happened (and might be a clever ploy to induce people who aren't familiar with manifesting to shoot each other), but since Wolf materialized he's definitely getting shot.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #902 on: <01-15-15/1855:14> »
Also, the change to Natural Weapons is appreciated. That makes him a more reasonable combat spirit. It's not Elemental Attack (12P AP -6 + elemental effects), but at least it isn't sucktastic.

I suppose I could have optimized him for physical combat and taken Venom, but it's pretty funky that I have to spend two Optional Powers to make my combat spirit good at, you know, combat when virtually ANY other spirit will still be better without using a single Optional Power.

Okay, whining done. A Force 6 spirit of any stripe is nothing to sneeze at. And fear does present an interesting option...

ETA: In case it isn't clear, I am ranting about RAW (the lameness of Beast spirits and the change in Street Grimoire that makes them the only spirit a Shaman - among others - can use for combat), not any aspect of Tabula Rasa/Tecumseh - both of which are awesome. And to be clear, the change itself isn't bad (it encourages creativity and makes mages less IWIN) but that it punishes specific traditions more than others because some spirits are dramatically better suited to specific roles than others. Just in case people were thinking "cry me a river that your bulletproof Force 6 spirit can't also one punch a street sam". This is entirely a topic for another thread (and has been beaten to death), but I just wanted it to be clear what my ranting/whining was about and where I stood on the issue.

Now I'm done ranting. It was awful quiet so I was worried that my post might have been misconstrued and people were wary of posting because of it. I hope this clears the air.
« Last Edit: <01-15-15/2311:42> by Malevolence »
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

8-bit

« Reply #903 on: <01-15-15/2327:27> »
I won't disagree with you about the whole traditions shtick that Street Grimoire introduced; I personally feel the same way. Just didn't seem to need a response.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #904 on: <01-16-15/0104:16> »
What kinda penalty is Sam looking at to hang the weapon out the window and using the camera on the smartlink to fire?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #905 on: <01-16-15/0112:14> »
-3. Attacker firing from cover using an imaging device.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #906 on: <01-16-15/0117:53> »
Any others?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #907 on: <01-16-15/0140:00> »
Yes, potentially everything else in the book, depending on what exactly you are planning.

There's-2 for firing from a moving vehicle, to simulate the twists and turns and up and downs in the road.

No environmental modifiers at the moment.

There is another penalty if you only use one arm/hand, but I don't recall it off the top of my head. Probably -2, but firing one-handed is not necessary unless you need the other hand for something specific.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #908 on: <01-16-15/0225:29> »
Well, unless there's something I don't understand about the situation, Sam's plan is to lean one arm out the window and try to put a pill onto the hood of the bulldog.

Simple action: Open window
Simple action: fire grenade at bulldog
Free action: wireless det grenade

I'll make the rolls when I get the full penalty and make the IC post after the rolls.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #909 on: <01-16-15/0238:29> »
We can say that Sam already had the window open, as it would not likely be able to open within the span of one second to allow Sam to shoot out of it (unless Sam just breaks it, but that's not necessary). The Simple Action can be used to Ready Weapon with a specific type of grenade.

-3 firing from cover using an imaging device
-2 firing from a moving vehicle
-1 firing two-handed firearms with one hand (usually a -2 penalty but its only -1 for trolls)

+1 from smartlink

Agility 9 + Heavy Weapons 5 - 5 net modifiers = 9 dice

What type of grenade? Flashbang, frag, or thermal smoke.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #910 on: <01-16-15/0315:17> »
@rednblack
The Lancer is a two-handed rifle. You can fire it with two hands with the cyberspur extended on the left hand, unless you want to fire it one-handed for cinematic purposes (although that does involve a -2 penalty, see above).

Lancers do not have smartlinks. Ares dropped the ball on that one.

Ace's shot, minus smartlink: 4 hits
Spirit dodge: 6 hits, no luck

The fire spirit nimbly skips aside, sending Ace's shot into the wall.

The RV rolls Structure 6 + Armor 14 - 10 AP: 3 hits, which stages 7DV down to 4DV

Since the Structure rating of the RV (6) is not exceeded by the DV (4), the shot does not go through the wall and out into the world.

Katsina will astrally attack the spirit that is astrally attacking her. For her free action she is counterspelling and can cover everyone but the Natelys.

Willpower 6 + Astral Combat 3 + Weapon Focus 3: 7 hits, sadly capped at 5 hits by Accuracy
Spirit defense: 3 hits

Base damage is Charisma+5, so 8, plus 2 net hits equals 10DV

Spirit soak: 2 hits, for 8 boxes

Katsina almost goes Darth Vader on the spirit, but not quite.

The troll in the Bulldog is going to shoot Wolf. There's a chance this might be modified based on Poindexter's rolls but right now I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Shooting Wolf with a shotgun: 4 hits
Wolf dodge (-2 constrained -2 third defense): 2 hits

Base damage is 10P -1AP, staged up to 12P with net hits.

Wolf soak: 10 hits + 6 auto-hits = 16 net hits, no damage
Wolf is a monster!

@Malevolence
The are a couple things that will happen before Ohanzee's turn but go ahead and declare actions when you get the chance. Everyone else, we'll probably be rolling Initiative again soon.

8-bit

« Reply #911 on: <01-16-15/0322:05> »
Have I already used Action Pass 2 due to being busy driving? I do have my next set of actions lined up, but I'm unsure of when they take place.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #912 on: <01-16-15/0332:50> »
@8-bit
Are you asking if you've used IP2 yet? No, no one has. You only need one Pilot / Control test every Combat Turn, which the autopilot can handle now. Chino wasn't actively driving during IP1 but that was only one second of action. The RV didn't go off the road in that one second.

8-bit

« Reply #913 on: <01-16-15/0335:01> »
Ah, okay. I just got confused when you said that we would be rolling Initiative again soon. I thought I had missed something. Just making sure, thanks.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #914 on: <01-16-15/0338:36> »
Doh, I misspoke. Sorry. I meant back to the top of the order.