NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #315 on: <12-09-14/1358:03> »
Ohanzee has Performance 0. Not a tiny dancer.
My dreams are crushed. Crushed, I tell you!

Yes:
The snow stops around 10:00. The clouds are thick and the weather remains overcast, but any excursions now will leave tracks in the fresh snow.

No:
Quote from: Malevolence
With the sun streaming through the cabin windows
So it is still pitch black outside? The sky didn't lighten at all with the sunrise? Would "cloud diffused sunlight streaming through the cabin windows" work, or should I have the neighbor's lights and activity bring the team to consciousness? I'll edit the IC when I have enough info.

Everyone roll Perception when you get the chance, whichever sense is best for your character. Wireless bonuses apply. Please continue to post ICly until I mention otherwise.
Perception [Perception 3 + Intuition 4 - Wounds 1]: 6d6t5 1
Looks like my run of luck has reset.
Also an assensing check for the entire team as they are gathered together, looking for the presence Chino spotted.
Assensing Teammates [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1]: 10d6t5 3
I'm going to guess that I still don't see it.

Also, I've been forgetting my wound modifier for a bit, so there is one less success on the following tests:
Cooking (sorry - only a four star meal instead of a five star)
The first or both matrix searches depending on whether you pull the extra die from the original roll or the second roll adding the extra die from my skill
Memory test

All of them were pretty solid successes, so it shouldn't make any difference in the long run, but FYI in case it does.

ETA: I'll take any other info from the hits even if I don't spot our hitchhiker, such as cyberware (alphaware or lower), maladies, astral signatures, general health, emotional state, etc. It occurs to me that Ohanzee has never assensed his teammates (trusting fool!), and considering the situation, it's time to remedy that shortsightedness.
« Last Edit: <12-09-14/1401:54> by Malevolence »
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #316 on: <12-09-14/1447:20> »
My dreams are crushed. Crushed, I tell you!

This is what karma is for.

So it is still pitch black outside? The sky didn't lighten at all with the sunrise? Would "cloud diffused sunlight streaming through the cabin windows" work, or should I have the neighbor's lights and activity bring the team to consciousness? I'll edit the IC when I have enough info.

It is light outside to the degree that it is day and not night, but the clouds are thick and grey. Aspen is in a deep valley. The surrounding mountains cast long shadows and the sun (behind the clouds) is fairly low in the sky and pretty far south due to the time of year.

This is actually good news when it comes to glare, since sunlight bouncing off snow (and there is a lot of snow) is brutal. There are no light/glare penalties at the moment. Current breezes are light (5kph) so there are no wind modifiers either. The weather report forecasts higher winds tonight. The snow has stopped so visibility is now Clear.

Everyone roll Perception when you get the chance, whichever sense is best for your character. Wireless bonuses apply. Please continue to post ICly until I mention otherwise.

Nobody perceives anything out of the ordinary. Breakfast continues as usual.

Also an assensing check for the entire team as they are gathered together, looking for the presence Chino spotted.
Assensing Teammates [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1]: 10d6t5 3
I'm going to guess that I still don't see it.

Ohanzee doesn't pick up on the unusual presence that Chino spotted. Separately, you do think that Katsina might be sick with a virus. A cold or influenza would be the most likely candidates, which would not be surprising given the circumstances (running around outside in freezing weather, followed by a short night of sleep, and a generally stressful situation). This could also explain her lack of appetite.

Thanks for being honest about the wound modifiers. Brunch will indeed only be four stars instead of five. We'll leave the results of the matrix searches as they are.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #317 on: <12-09-14/1929:19> »
IC up. It's wordy and hopefully I haven't missed anything. I haven't had more than ten minutes at a time to type, so it is a little train-of-thought.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #318 on: <12-09-14/2006:26> »
Now that's we've got a full day, I think it's a good idea for Doc and or the Agent to run that Matrix Search on the artifact.

@Tecmuseh: If I'm just doing low-key things like the deck repair, matrix search and basic medicine checks on folks, will that count as a day of rest today?

@Team: Lemme know if you guys are resting and need/want me to add my Medicine rolls as a teamwork test on your wounds.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #319 on: <12-09-14/2022:52> »
Yeah, I'm not sure what counts as light activity. Spirit summoning and casting if I don't take any damage? If I only take stun damage?

If I can rest while still being productive, I'll take Doc up on his offer. I don't plan on leaving the house, but I may not have a choice. Tecumseh is filling me with foreboding.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #320 on: <12-09-14/2052:33> »
I would say as long as you don't physically exert yourself then the day will count as rest when it comes to healing Physical damage. Mental exertion is fine. Chilling around the house, doing deck repair, matrix searches, and medicine checks are all fine. Stun drain from casting/summoning is okay, although it will slow down your healing a bit since you have to heal the Stun before you can heal the Physical.

I believe Doc and Ohanzee are the only ones with Physical damage to heal. Sam had Stun damage from when he took a rifle butt to the head, but he slept that off.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #321 on: <12-09-14/2059:58> »
Oh, sorry... I'll update my IC post then to not be staring down Sam like a doctor would :P  I thought he took physical damage in that fight and has just been using damage compensators ;)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #322 on: <12-09-14/2145:18> »
OK, can we talk about nanites a little bit here?

I bought the 1st ed book back in the day, then the 5th ed book just recently, so i dont know anything about nanites. I understand they were something from 4th ed that didn't make the jump over.

What basic things would Sam know about nanites, just so i dont waste a lot of IC time here?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #323 on: <12-09-14/2149:02> »
CFD. From Splintered State I believe. Sadly, I don't have that book.

Aside from those, nanotech is mainstream to the point that it isn't specifically mentioned. You get some cyberware installed? Chances are nanites were part of the surgery.

At least that's my take on it.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #324 on: <12-09-14/2149:45> »
CFD. From Splintered State I believe. Sadly, I don't have that book.

Aside from those, nanotech is mainstream to the point that it isn't specifically mentioned. You get some cyberware installed? Chances are nanites were part of the surgery.

At least that's my take on it.

but there's a few mentions in the 5th ed book about something having gone horribly wrong no one using nanites anymore.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #325 on: <12-10-14/0117:06> »
It should be noted that all of the below is working from memory, as I am away from my books.

Away from my books at the moment, but I believe the "problem" with nanites started with the Sybil/CFD Virus. Basically, AI's and E-ghosts have figured out some way to copy themselves into a biological body; nanites tend to be their most effective carriers. It should be noted that nanites are not required to have CFD, but they help facilitate the infection and control process.

Usually, the process of CFD taking over a host completely erases their personality and will. Sometimes, a person will resist, in which case you get headcases. Headcases are usually not the picture of sanity, as they go between multiple personalities (their own, and whatever he CFD virus fragments into; I think I remember an NPC who once had 5 personalities); although FastJack actually could be considered a headcase, as he is stuck with the AI S.E.A.R.C.H. (Forget what the acronym is for, but I believe it used to be a military combat program) in his head.

CFD is not limited to biological forms. Since it uses nanites as its carriers, it can infect anything that uses nanites to construct and maintain. I know the AK-147 line, which was entirely nanofaxed, has become obsolete, and I'm sure other things have happened as well. I don't think it's been a world-wide problem, because almost everything uses nanomanufacturing (from clothes, to guns, to cyberware, to a bajillion other things, they all use nanites) in 2075. That's the easiest way to mass-produce and make a profit on stuff. Still, it could be a problem.

Anyway, been on a plane all day, I'll check back in on the IC and probably make a post; sorry for my inactivity most of the day.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #326 on: <12-10-14/0152:29> »
It should be noted that all of the below is working from memory, as I am away from my books.

Away from my books at the moment, but I believe the "problem" with nanites started with the Sybil/CFD Virus. Basically, AI's and E-ghosts have figured out some way to copy themselves into a biological body; nanites tend to be their most effective carriers. It should be noted that nanites are not required to have CFD, but they help facilitate the infection and control process.

Usually, the process of CFD taking over a host completely erases their personality and will. Sometimes, a person will resist, in which case you get headcases. Headcases are usually not the picture of sanity, as they go between multiple personalities (their own, and whatever he CFD virus fragments into; I think I remember an NPC who once had 5 personalities); although FastJack actually could be considered a headcase, as he is stuck with the AI S.E.A.R.C.H. (Forget what the acronym is for, but I believe it used to be a military combat program) in his head.

CFD is not limited to biological forms. Since it uses nanites as its carriers, it can infect anything that uses nanites to construct and maintain. I know the AK-147 line, which was entirely nanofaxed, has become obsolete, and I'm sure other things have happened as well. I don't think it's been a world-wide problem, because almost everything uses nanomanufacturing (from clothes, to guns, to cyberware, to a bajillion other things, they all use nanites) in 2075. That's the easiest way to mass-produce and make a profit on stuff. Still, it could be a problem.

Anyway, been on a plane all day, I'll check back in on the IC and probably make a post; sorry for my inactivity most of the day.

Holy crap!!!

Do you think that could be it? Could we all be headcases?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #327 on: <12-10-14/0210:21> »
Well, I've had my suspicions about it. The warning flags went off when the PM described it as a "non-biological viral entity". So, it's definitely possible, although I will admit I've never heard of a headcase PC. Then again, I only know what I've gotten through PMs, I don't know how everyone else is being affected.

So, yeah, it's definitely been the number one possibility that I've had for a while, but I don't know enough information to know if it's something I haven't encountered yet.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #328 on: <12-10-14/0216:23> »
The 5th Edition sourcebook mentions nanites exactly once, according to the Find function on my PDF. ("Marking methods include ultraviolet dye, RFID tags, DNA-encoded material, or even nanite tags." p. 362)

Nano is used as a prefix a handful of times, but there is only (very oblique) reference to something going wrong. ("When all of the nano-fabricated AK–174s melted to slag, the AK-97s kept functioning just fine." p. 428)

To answer Poindexter's original question, everyone would know that nanites are very much part of the world, especially for manufacturing and cyber. Your modern shadowrunner (i.e. one with augmentations, i.e not Katsina) would probably know that nanites are used to continually maintain the bridges of the body’s own neural system to cybernetics, making them far less invasive than they would otherwise be. For example, nanites control the microscopic circuits that form the retinal displays of cybereyes.

At this point in the canon timeline, the PCs would not know anything more than a very vague, "There are rumors in the shadows that something is wrong with some nanites somewhere in the world but I'm not sure what and I'm not sure where." How alarmed the PCs would be about such unspecific rumors is up to you to RP as you see fit. Additional research is possible but would be time consuming. (12+ hour intervals on Matrix Searching.)

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #329 on: <12-10-14/0328:43> »
I forgot to roll a couple of assensing tests for my IC:
Assensing Ace as he confesses to his previous life:
Assensing Ace [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1]: 10d6t5 0
Heh, now the dice are swinging the other way.
Assensing Doc as he mentions he is more heavily affected than the rest of the team:
Assensing Doc [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1]: 10d6t5 4
Better.