NEWS

Extended Magazines

• 10 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« on: <01-30-13/0429:45> »
Anyone know why i can't go out and buy say... a longer magazine for my pistol, or a shorter magazine for my machine pistol? I understand how the modification is supposed to work, widening the feed ramp to accept a stacked magazine (Albeit the rounds are probably barely staggered, if it only increases the capacity by 25%).

But why where in the wide wide world of the sixth are the other sized mags?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-13/0706:44> »
if it was that easy to get big clips, why wouldnt every gun toting citizen be walking around with their huge, oversized clips dragging on the floor?
its most likely a game balance issue. by making it a mod, it means you have to choose between electronic firing and a 100 drum of APDS for example.
it is a bit funky when compared to real life, but there are things that need to be balanced in-game
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-13/0725:02> »
Exactly. It is a game balance issue, which is why Shadowrun isn't a reality simulator.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-13/1529:53> »
Well, if you were to have a magazine that's say even a 50% increase or decrease of the normal capacity shouldn't that effect the concealability modifier, as well as reload times and even in some cases reducing your dice pool for cumbersomeness if you try firing one handed?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-13/2038:06> »
Well, if you were to have a magazine that's say even a 50% increase or decrease of the normal capacity shouldn't that effect the concealability modifier, as well as reload times and even in some cases reducing your dice pool for cumbersomeness if you try firing one handed?

The weight difference wouldn't be substantial enough.  Concealability modifier could be dealt with be just hiding the extended clip elsewhere on your person (doesn't take long enough to slap it in for this to be a true disadvantage), wouldn't truly affect the amount of time it takes to load given you just slide it right into the spot until it's in...  Making it a mod provides a cost, which is needed because there isn't really any other reasonable way to balance it. 
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-13/2124:13> »
Yeah, I dunno, I guess I'm irked that it costs 500 ¥ only to get 3 more bullets in my pistol, or if I stacked the upgrade 1'500¥ to get to 21 rounds instead of being able to make one modification once. I guess it's one of those simple things that would require a simple rule fix that bothers me so much.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-13/2152:04> »
Extended Clip isn't stackable, you have to go to the Drum for a larger increase.

In any case, what it "requires" has to be considered as what has to be done to have it and have it be balanced.  Which means we'd be looking at more than a simple rules change.

That said, if you're looking for a house rule, my suggestion: Extended Clips have the same availability as the weapon, with the caveat that the restrictedness of the weapon is increased one step.  Price them at ~50-100¥.  Concealability is at +2 if they're loaded into the weapon, and it will not fit into a Concealable or Quickdraw holster.  Given their size, something akin to the Combat Load Vest or the MOSLTOV vest from War is required to carried more than just the one in the weapon.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-13/2156:30> »
That's reasonable enough, and I get you can't stack the upgrade, I'm just putting it out there as an example of something unreasonable just to get an extra 9 rounds into my gun.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-30-13/2205:40> »
That's reasonable enough, and I get you can't stack the upgrade, I'm just putting it out there as an example of something unreasonable just to get an extra 9 rounds into my gun.

I get where you're coming from, it's just that adding it to the system is a little more complicated than just adding the item - there's a lot to look at because it can have an impact upon inter-weapon balance.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <01-30-13/2220:11> »
That said, if you're looking for a house rule, my suggestion: Extended Clips have the same availability as the weapon, with the caveat that the restrictedness of the weapon is increased one step.  Price them at ~50-100¥.  Concealability is at +2 if they're loaded into the weapon, and it will not fit into a Concealable or Quickdraw holster.  Given their size, something akin to the Combat Load Vest or the MOSLTOV vest from War is required to carried more than just the one in the weapon.

I think that's about as good as you can get; makes a good deal of sense, and is balanced well enough.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #10 on: <01-30-13/2227:58> »
I'll definitely put that in with my house rules, and talk to my GMs about it when I play.