NEWS

I have two questions regarding corporations.

• 9 Replies

TimmyTheNerd

• Newb
« on: <12-03-16/0543:46> »
I apologize if this isn't the place to post it, it just seemed like the most likely place to get answers for the backstory of Shadowrun.

GMing a campaign. I'm really into Kamen Rider (Japanese TV series whose popularity brought about the rise of shows like Power Rangers). My only player is really into gothic horror (or any horror all around) and romance. My only experiences with Shadowrun are from the SNES and Sega Genesis games.

So here's my two questions:

1. Is there room for a corporation such as Smart Brain (From Kamen Rider 555) to exist in the Sixth World?
Smart Brain is a company whose goal is to turn all of humanity into Orphnochs. They are stronger, tougher, and faster than humans, with various other special abilities. They also come in three flavors, Original Orphnochs who are 'born' when a human suffers a death and 'resurrected' into an Orphnoch and Sired Orphnochs that are created when certain humans survive being attacked by an Orphnoch and become ones themselves, though weaker than the Original Orphnochs. These two types of Orphnochs are capable of switching between their Orphnoch and Human form at will. But the most unique of type that appear in the series finale are the Evolved Orphnochs, the first of this type is the Orphnoch King, which are genetically perfect to the point of being unable to resume human form. An Orphnoch King can remove the genetic flaw from other Orphnochs, evolving them as well at the cost of their humanity.

2. Would Corporations who make Cyberware and Bioware hire repomen to collect parts when someone doesn't make their payments?
One of my girlfriend's favorite films is Repo! The Genetic Opera, in which repomen collect body parts when people default on their payments. Was thinking of having an NPC whose one such character.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-16/1446:38> »
For the former, Evo's a good start. Transhumanism is what they DO, with Bioware being their #1 product and Cyber not far behind.

Fo rthe second?

I take it that you haven't yet seen Rpo, the Genetic Opera?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAj56LYXkK4

You should.

You *totally* should

TimmyTheNerd

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-16/1725:57> »
You are correct, I haven't seen the film. Just a song or two my girlfriend shared with me.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-05-16/0551:10> »
Evo is the perfect Mega, but Proteus AG is even more (while being smaller) - and there is some free stuff about it online !

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-05-16/0630:03> »
I agree that EVO would be the perfect mega ( AAA ). If this is something that will feature heavily in your game then getting market panic just for the section about EVO would be good. Otherwise you can just invent your own corp and have it be a) independent b) a subsidiary of one of the bigger fish or c) an affiliate of one of the bigger fish.

Shadowrun can be tailored to focus on Gothic horror type games quite easily, look through Street magic and Howling shadows as well as the core book would be a good place to start.

In regards to the question about Repo-men. That would depend greatly on location i would say, because of issues such as jurisdiction and law and extra-territoriality. Remember that without extra-territoriality the corp is subject to the Laws of the nation in question and even an extra-territorial corp will have to respect that Laws of the location in question when moving outside their extra-territorial area. Inside it? Anything goes, then it comes Down to the corp in question. I have a hard time seeing that many of the "familiar" Places such as UCAS, CAS....etc. would allow such a thing as "Repo'ing" ware that's still implanted in a living subject, however they would certainly allow a alot of other measures. Places that are even more corporate puppets may or may not allow such practices though, but it's probably not normal practice. That being said you're the master of your version of the 6th World, so if you want that to be normal practice go for it.
« Last Edit: <12-05-16/0700:19> by Rosa »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-05-16/1551:27> »
Well, let's not kid ourselves. The only reason it's not done now is because it's too expensive and too time-consuming, legally.

The UCAS has a constitutional amendment outlining the process to repatriate wageslaves back to the extraterritorial megacorporations of which they are citizens. It's not a giant leap to extend that to the repatriation of corporate property back to said corps as well. But it's generally easier to make people pay and pay and pay, even if they are indebted forever than to go through the trouble of repossessing property and reselling it. Even bioware probably has firmware updates they need over time — if you're paid up (and own the 'ware legally).

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <12-18-16/1354:32> »
Definitely wouldn't say that about bioware - at least not exactly.  I can very easily see after 3 or 5 years the corporation sending a notice to those people with SupraThyroidMax 3.4 that it's been observed in long-term users that the modified Glucagon X it produces breaks down far more rapidly than standard, and that the corporation is recommending a modified-gene-therapy 'refinement package' (now for sale at a discount of 13.8%) which will extend the life of the SupraThyroidMax 3.4 by an estimated 18 months.  Or, you know, you could upgrade to the SupraThyroidMega 2.2 (at a discount of 6.9%) and not concern yourself with it for 'at least' several years to come ...

And I disagree about EVO.  The sort of thing you're describing, while it fits into EVO's 'transhuman' adventure, doesn't quite jive with the 'everyone is fine the way they are, and accepted' starting point that EVO has.  What has been said about Smart Brain and their attitudes sounds more like a sort of Infection - which, in truth, sort of might point you towards the Ordo Maximus, especially if your players are into the whole gothic horror thing.

Have them discover a small 'research group' blood bank experimenting with infusing blood with HMHVV (the standard vampiric strain) to see if 'unassociated' infection - i.e. that which doesn't involve a vampire infecting/draining the target - is possible.  They discover that the ringleader has ties to a political action group in the nation's capital ... and that, after further research, they discover has ties to the Ordo.  And then have them start tracing Ordo influence to dozens of companies, through scores of Infected ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-18-16/1625:48> »
I meant to put firmware in quote marks, but yes, that was the general idea. You get me, Wyrm.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <12-23-16/2028:12> »
I tend to.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <12-27-16/2047:49> »
There's a blurb somewhere that mentions a drug cocktail they provide to maintain the specific protein and hormone balance the bioware needs to function properly. Considering the fact they've introduced a foreign organ into your system that is altering the way your body functions this is very, very reasonable. Withholding that cocktail could reasonably cause all sorts of insanely brutal complications such as cancer, elephantiasis, immunodeficiency and many, many other serious issues that would be very difficult to correct without the r&of the corps have already put in. If I were doing the corporate contracts I would simply make sure that the 'ware and some level of the estate would be forfeit if the recipient dies as a result of nonpayment, and then withhold the drug cocktail if they fail to pay.