NEWS

Suggestion: Reputation Accountability

• 85 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« on: <02-05-12/0754:34> »
I really think it would be a good idea to remove the anonymity from Applause and Smite actions, possibly by putting in some form of log tracking who gave whom +1s and -1s, when, and for what post. Even if it's only visible by Mods and the person who received the Rep such a tool would be a great thing to help people figure out what they're doing that's impressing people and what's pissing them off, and which people are in what category. Showing a list on a member's Profile about who's Repped them, and how many times would be a cool bonus as well.

Not only that, but I think knowing that they'll have their names plastered up on a log as Smiting someone a half-dozen times a day, where they can be called on it, just might help curtail people being immature little so-and-sos when they get their pretty-snowflake feelings hurt and are too petty to let it go and move on with their lives.

I'm also absolutely sure it would definitely prevent someone from falsely assuming someone else has been harassing them in such a manner.

Take my recent interplay with Lethe, for example. He and I got into a bit of a tiff after he (I'll be charitable and say "unintentionally") trolled a comment I'd made while trying to explain something to a 3rd party and, ever since then, my Neg-Rep's been dropping like a stone. Has he gotten something up his "pants" and decided to hound the Smite button because he has nothing better to do than nurse a grudge over me telling him I would prefer he discontinue his participation in the thread I'd started... or is he totally chill and innocent of any wrong-doing and I was just so much of a jerk that over a dozen different people have felt the need to Smite me over it? Or was it because of something else entirely that has nothing to do with that thread at all?

Right now, there's no real way to tell.
« Last Edit: <02-05-12/0902:24> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-12/0922:47> »
Here's an even easier suggestion: ignore it. I was going to ask if you even cared about rep, on a random website, if there's no accountability. Your post tells me you do, so I'm going to alter my original question:

Why do you care about a pair of numbers that anybody/everybody can click to their heart's content, with no accountability? It's not like our postings here are part of actual gameplay, where your rep is important.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-12/0944:36> »
Honestly? It is a lot of work for no real need. This is the internet. If, at any time, there is something that you don't want to see, the best answer is always 'look somewhere else'.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-12/1019:03> »
Why do you care about a pair of numbers that anybody/everybody can click to their heart's content, with no accountability? It's not like our postings here are part of actual gameplay, where your rep is important.

I don't really care about the rep itself, as much as the behavioral patterns behind it. Simply put, much like gossiping behind someone's back, the best you can say about it is that is that it's immature, petty, and done out of spitefulness... none of which are traits that should be encouraged.

Plus, I want to see exactly how much of CanRay's reputation is from his jokes, and how much is from his serious posts.

Wait... he does make serious posts, right? ;)
― Albert Einstein

― Me

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-12/1051:09> »
Removing the rep entirely would be an option too. But seriously, I've made no secret that I despise the karma generation system, but I've noticed every single time I give an honest opinion on the matter, it seems that three or four people get butt-hurt and take it personally and my rep takes a fraggin nose dive.  No matter what it is that is done, something needs to be so that people can't just anonymously pull that noise with no consequences.

*- I realize that the rep system doesn't mean that much, but it can cause issues still. Look at the criteria that one guy posted for his PbP game--checking rep and stuff.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-12/1134:33> »
*looks at Guns's -23, then at his -87* You and I have a very different view of 'nosedive' chummer. If you can't stand the heat, unplug the datajack. This is the internet, it isn't going to get any better, rep system or no. Again, if you don't like it, just don't look at it. Problem solved.

My Characters

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <02-05-12/1544:11> »
That functionality isn't part of the base SMF package, and we're not interested in introducing a mod that adds that functionality. Presuming one even exists.

Paul

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <02-06-12/0818:19> »
Right. As Paul said, we're not looking to add custom code at this time to the forums since it adds a bigger headache during upgrades and such. There's arguments for and against the rep system, but overall it's pretty harmless. It gives you an idea of how others perceive you, but an even better way for new posters to determine your worth is you actual posts. And, in this regard, well-intentioned and thought-out posts will generate good rep, while posts that do nothing more than denigrate others and/or add nothing constructive to discussions will generate bad rep.

Yes, there are occasions where some people will smite you hourly just because they don't like that you chose the name of a famous character in the setting as your handle*. But, eventually, their fingers get tired and the constructive posts you make win out.

*or some other reason entirely.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-06-12/0849:32> »
Yes, there are occasions where some people will smite you hourly just because they don't like that you chose the name of a famous character in the setting as your handle.

Yeah, sure, like you would have any experience with that.  ;)  ;D

But, yeah, I didn't know what size work-load the idea would be, so I thought I'd throw it out on the off chance it might be an easy flip of the switch.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-06-12/0904:05> »
But, yeah, I didn't know what size work-load the idea would be, so I thought I'd throw it out on the off chance it might be an easy flip of the switch.

There's no harm in making suggestions, or asking for changes. If anything, there's a chance that it might make things better. I'd rather have to shoot down 9 ideas to get to 1 good one, than see a bunch of tumbleweeds go by in this forum because no one feels like making suggestions.

Paul

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-07-12/1723:39> »
I don't really care what's done about it, but something does need to be done with the rep system being so easy to shoot someone's rep in the foot by yourself just because you happen to disagree with a few posts they have.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-07-12/1918:16> »
It is a reputation system on the frakking internet. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you get torn up about every little +1/-1 you get, then you're going to need to invest in a lot of antacid. Take it from someone who has more than double your negatives, yeah?

My Characters

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <02-07-12/2125:22> »
I have some bad news, I think.

I checked the settings. There's a 1 hour wait period between karma votes on the same user. I checked, it works; I can't add positive or negative votes to the same user more than once per hour.

This means:

1. Your hated forum enemy hates you enough to make it his hourly duty to vote you down.
2. Other people hate your posts too, you're not the focus of a single internet stalker.

In the case of 1, I recommend looking in to restraining orders, etc. That's one creepy dude.
In the case of 2, I recommend catering to the popular kids' posting expectations, or reducing how much you care about the rep score.

The 'job' here is to be a part of the community, and enrich it with your content. Users are content. But a community has a certain character. If you don't fit in, you're going to get negative reactions. Apparently that can manifest itself a tad in the karma score.
Either you adjust your style to match, or you thicken your skin, or you go do something else with your time. I for one hope you elect one of the first 2 options.

Paul

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-07-12/2133:19> »
... [Snip] ...

The 'job' here is to be a part of the community, and enrich it with your content. Users are content. But a community has a certain character. If you don't fit in, you're going to get negative reactions. Apparently that can manifest itself a tad in the karma score.
Either you adjust your style to match, or you thicken your skin, or you go do something else with your time. I for one hope you elect one of the first 2 options.

Paul

The first should not be an option, as noone should have to change their opinions just because someone else doesn't like said opinion.

The second should not be an option as that smacks of part of the problem with the school system and the bullying issue.  Too many times one hears to "tough it out" or "ignore them". Such does not work, and only lets bullies know they can get away with their antics.

The last isn't an option because a person has just as much right to log in as those who are doing the hourly smites on them.

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <02-07-12/2143:34> »
You're right, everyone else should change because they're mean to you.

It seems to me that people are really attaching an excessive amount of weight to those karma thing. I recommend ignoring it, while continuing about your forumly business.

Paul