NEWS

[SR5] Data Trails?

• 302 Replies

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #225 on: <06-02-15/0909:49> »
Also, I want to note that I believe you can put an agent on a commlink now
You mean outside hardwiring virtual machine to the commlink, and running an agent through that? Because last check, they only have room for apps.

Well, I was going more of hardwiring the Agent program with the add a module thing.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #226 on: <06-02-15/0917:33> »
Also, I want to note that I believe you can put an agent on a commlink now
You mean outside hardwiring virtual machine to the commlink, and running an agent through that? Because last check, they only have room for apps.

Well, I was going more of hardwiring the Agent program with the add a module thing.
Program Carriers come with the program pre-installed for free. Are you saying you can buy a module with a 12000 nuyen agent pre-installed for 900 nuyen? Because nope.

Pixie

« Reply #227 on: <06-02-15/1117:56> »
Oh, and foundations definitely aren't resonance realms. The Matrix is the Matrix and the Resonance is the Resonance. They interact with each other, but they are definitely separate things. Resonance Realms are far too wily to be tamed and they shift constantly; you wouldn't be able to set up the control systems that exist within a foundation.

Sorry for the late reply.  So would it be accurate to describe to someone the Foundation as a visual representation of the inner workings of a very powerful quantum processor?  Based on the shifting of the Foundation that constantly occurs unless someone is present in some form, it sure sounds like quantum physics.

jackiepaper

• Newb
« Reply #228 on: <06-02-15/1257:24> »
Oh, and foundations definitely aren't resonance realms. The Matrix is the Matrix and the Resonance is the Resonance. They interact with each other, but they are definitely separate things. Resonance Realms are far too wily to be tamed and they shift constantly; you wouldn't be able to set up the control systems that exist within a foundation.

Sorry for the late reply.  So would it be accurate to describe to someone the Foundation as a visual representation of the inner workings of a very powerful quantum processor?  Based on the shifting of the Foundation that constantly occurs unless someone is present in some form, it sure sounds like quantum physics.

We've discussed the idea that SR tech probably already uses quantum computing (how else could you process megapulses of data?) so the Foundation is more like the by-product of linking hundreds of thousands (if not millions or billions) of quantum and sub-quantum devices into a single network.

The other big thing to keep in mind that is made a little foggy in the text (though i do enjoy how scary it is) is that technological systems are usually developed by numerous and seperate teams. While one team will have a solid idea of how it's own system operates and how any interlinked processes operate, they are completely unaware of other aspects. Development would go MUCH slower if every single person working on a project had to fully understand and be fluent in each aspect of the project. Thus, only the coordinating managers from the various corps (remember GOD is essentially just the Big 10, not a national/government entity) would have a broader understanding of what the new Matrix actually is. Even then, it's within each Megacorps best interest to keep certain aspects of operation to themselves.

This means that realistically there are very few people (maybe less than 2 dozen) who understand EVERY aspect of the new Matrix. (like how you can make a million different colas but the recipe for Coca-Cola is only known by two people at a time)

It's true that we don't fully understand how the new Matrix works, but it's more akin to a technological revolution than a mystical discovery. Before the Awakening, science was magic. We've just hit a technological discovery that went so much further than we expected that it seems magical again.

Then again, there is the distinct possibility that we've pushed tech into a realm which bridges the Matrix and the Resonance to some degree. If that's the case, it's an accidental discovery, like Penicillin. No one (that we know of) possess the ability to manipulate Resonance on that scale for that long.

You can do stuff like geomancy and affecting ley lines with magic but you have to remember that Magic is technically thousands upon thousands of years old.  Even going simply by the 6th world timeline, Magic has been active 3 times longer than the Resonance and Technomancy is still in it's infancy.

In my own personal opinion(which i had as a theory in DT but had to cut for wordcount), the Resonance began when simsense was invented and people started recording and uploading their deepest thoughts, fears, hopes and desires into the Matrix.

The Matrix is literally a virtual reality that we created to give ourselves a level of control over "reality" that we can't achieve/maintain over the physical world. So much so that when simsense first came out, people thought it signaled the end of society since so many people were quickly addicted. (of course early simsense didn't have the same safety features or limiters that exist now. Not until they integrated Psychotrope's code in the 30s)

The thing is, we also built the Matrix to make our lives easier. We created all these devices that are supposed to learn what, how and when we want the things we design. When you tell something that interconnected to learn what you want and then literally give it all of your desires and fears, it has to have an effect right? Especially after decades of collecting data.

That also means that while mana is returning to the world, Resonance is still growing into....something. There are no Dragons or Immortal elves that can tell us what Resonance will be because it's completely new to them too. The Resonance is apparently growing fast (technological growth is certainly exponential right now) so it may develop faster than Magic first did, but our understanding of it won't necessarily grow at the same rate just because the source is getting stronger.
The better we get at creating simulations, the more likely it becomes that we are living inside of one.

Pixie

« Reply #229 on: <06-03-15/0100:21> »
Thanks for the insight, Jackie!  It helps to get to understand the minds of those who create these kinds of things, if only so that we might approach the content from different directions.  Your insights have been very helpful.  :)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #230 on: <06-03-15/1103:27> »
From what I recall, dongles can only be slotted in a commlink. Any reason to not allow extending that to an RCC, the red-headed stepchild of persona-forming devices? A Sleaze or Attack rating could really help out a rigger in certain situations (running silently, clearing MARKs, etc). While you could certainly add one of the Attributes and boost it to 2 through modification, a dongle would obviously allow a much higher rating.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #231 on: <06-03-15/1133:50> »
From what I recall, dongles can only be slotted in a commlink. Any reason to not allow extending that to an RCC, the red-headed stepchild of persona-forming devices? A Sleaze or Attack rating could really help out a rigger in certain situations (running silently, clearing MARKs, etc). While you could certainly add one of the Attributes and boost it to 2 through modification, a dongle would obviously allow a much higher rating.
It can run cyberprograms so you could always just run stealth and/or decryption on it
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #232 on: <06-03-15/1139:41> »
Seconded on dongles. They really should, in my opinion, be available for RCCs as well. I'd even go so far as allowing cyberdeck modules for RCCs, personally.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #233 on: <06-03-15/1152:40> »
dongles can only be slotted in a commlink. Any reason to not extend that to an RCC?
Not that I can see (yet), no ...
A rigger command console [...] can act like a commlink and has all the features of a commlink in addition to the cool drone stuff.
« Last Edit: <06-03-15/1156:09> by Novocrane »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #234 on: <06-03-15/1154:31> »
It can run cyberprograms so you could always just run stealth and/or decryption on it
True, good point. That would pump it up by another point for either, but then you start to cut into your autosofts for sharing.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #235 on: <06-03-15/1217:35> »
True, good point. That would pump it up by another point for either, but then you start to cut into your autosofts for sharing.
Could load both into a virtual machine so they only take one slot?
Or you could mod the rcc with a program carrier and load it with one of the above. Its pretty cheap that way too and doesn't have any side effects
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #236 on: <06-03-15/1242:05> »
Could load both into a virtual machine so they only take one slot?
Or you could mod the rcc with a program carrier and load it with one of the above. Its pretty cheap that way too and doesn't have any side effects

Last I checked, the juries still out on this one,some believe that decryption and stealth add 1 to an existing attribute and that an RCC does not have either attribute (this is different from having the attribute at 0), if this is indeed the case than having access to the dongle (Or going the add a mod route) may be the only options for adding these attributes... personally I hope the upcoming rigger book (and I mean upcoming before a new addition as I have no idea when we will see it) will have more options for riggers than just the single mod any device can have.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #237 on: <06-03-15/1249:00> »
Last I checked, the juries still out on this one,some believe that decryption and stealth add 1 to an existing attribute and that an RCC does not have either attribute (this is different from having the attribute at 0)
That's always been my take, regardless if it was contrary to Aaron's opinion that Edge could be used to allow a commlink to Data Spike something.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Fenix

• Newb
« Reply #238 on: <06-03-15/1328:35> »
As far as echoes not being tied to Submergence grade, i don't know why that has been the case so far, but i have several planned that will be tied to submergence grade.

I am considering something similar to sidebar in Unwired that contained the "alternate" technomancer rule. That gets secondary priority though. I am looking to address the Fading issue and bring back/update some of the more interesting echoes from 4E.

Streams and Paragons are also top of the list priority. It ain't right that every character has to be a techno-adept.

I'm happy to hear this. There are a lot of 4e echoes I was really hoping to see brought back, and the existing ones just seem to lack any real "umph".

I was especially miffed that Multiprocessing (an echo in 4e's Unwired) was absent, but showed up as an AI Quality instead with almost the exact same wording. Honestly that one can easily be used as an echo in 5th, just replace every "AI" with "Technomancer" and replace "Depth" with "Submersion Grade". Fixed - extra echo for everyone!  ;D

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #239 on: <06-03-15/1405:18> »
I can certainly understand why riggers would want to be able to add a dongle to their RCC, but that would represent a huge change to the rigger's role in the game, to say nothing of skewing the cyberdeck/RCC pricing scheme.  If riggers are due for that sort of sea change, it'll happen in the rigger book.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.