NEWS

GridGuide & etc.

• 6 Replies

ammulder

• Newb
« on: <05-22-21/1611:28> »
So if every vehicle comes with GridGuide and an autonomous driving system (p. 295), is it safe to say you don't require Piloting for getting around to meets and picking up dinner and etc.?  That is, if you're content to be chauffeured by your vehicle, stopped automatically for police and emergency vehicles, and etc.

It seems like Piloting would be needed for making hasty escapes, intentionally violating traffic rules, and jumping rising drawbridges.  Certainly for the rigger, and likely for anybody else who plans to transport themself to or from a run (as opposed to just to/from the Legwork and the like).

I've heard some talk about how GridGuide isn't comprehensive, even in downtown areas... but at the same time, I don't see most characters (even the ones with Piloting) paying 500¥ for manual controls on their vehicles, so I assume you're not really required to take over driving on any kind of normal basis.  Maybe if there's some lapse in GridGuide, or if you're tooling around the Barrens, you can verbally control your autonomous driving system?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-22-21/1631:02> »
is it safe to say you don't require Piloting for getting around to meets and picking up dinner and etc.?
Yes.

It seems like Piloting would be needed for making hasty escapes, intentionally violating traffic rules, and jumping rising drawbridges. 
Yes.

I don't see most characters (even the ones with Piloting) paying 500¥ for manual controls on their vehicles
All vehicles have manual control.

Are you perhaps thinking of "Manual operation"?
This is a mod you can get for vehicle weapon mounts....  (not for actually driving the vehicle).

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-22-21/1907:11> »
In any location of Middle Class or better, you'll have full GridGuide (tm) everywhere. In Low class areas, it's spotty, while in Squatter or below, you're on your own. So, in essence, in any "good part of town", you can toodle along under the gentle skill of GridGuide (tm) and be perfectly safe. By linking all the cars to the guid, cars will be able to instantly accelerate at a uniform speed at redlight-greenlight interactions, will navigate the streets perfectly, and so on. It's hyper-efficient.

You can go on internal Pilot instead. In most cases, the internal pilot isn't as robust as the citywide system, but, it works where the big one doesn't, like the spotty Low areas and anywhere off in the Barrens. Ratin 1 is just an autonav that gives directions but expects you to handle things, Rating 2 will handle some stuff (like parking) but you want a metahuman on tap to make sure things are kosher, while 3 and above are as good, if not better, than the average Metahuman  driver and most people are happy to let it handle things.

While the hyper-wealthy can easily afford high-rating, flawless Pilot programs, it's a status symbol to have a Metahuman driver to drive you around. These drivers are, of course, good at their job, but not all of them are combat-trained Rigger sorts... they're status symbols, so are expected to drive gracefully, not aggressfully. (In general. There are always a few execs who want the little people to be OUT OF THE WAY and hire drivers who are properly aggressive. Winners don't wait in line!_

In those who hit adulthood before 2055, some driving skill is expected. From 55-60 it waned, but after hacking went crazy, the 60's saw tons of people go manual instead of remote because hacking bad. By 2070 and the "New, Unhackable" Matrix 3.0, driving skills started to atrophy again as corporations pushed hard on the idea that cars were now TOTALLY safe and that you should leave the driving to them. (Ares being the one corp that said "FREEDOM!" and shunned the idea for the most part... everyone else got on board, fast.) So, if a character is25 in 2080, they hit 15 when cars went heavy into "We'll drive for you" and probably never learned how to drive on their own.  "What, next you want me to learn how to ride a horse? Whatever granpa!" As time goes on, the skillset will grow more and more rare, but will never *completely* vanish. Someone born from 2040-2045 also got used to true Autos (but self-piloted, not remote) and also likely never learned … they'd be 35-40 in 2080. That 25-35 gap are the people who grew up not trusting Autos at all, having seen them hacked like mad, and, honestly, are the only reason that cars are still sold with manual controls.

(With current estimates, cars with manual controls will start to phase out in 2100, and by 2120 will be approximately 1% of the overall market, restricted to just the hyper-wealthy as playthings and demonstrations of having idle time to learn or a "chauffer class" that parasites alongside the wealthy. A few pockets of resistance are expected in North America, clinging to outdated notions that cars - freedom, but no sizable number will remain beyond that point.)

GridGuide(tm)! Leave the driving to them.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-23-21/0052:12> »
Thanks for the detailed write-up, Wak. Good post.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-23-21/0313:47> »
My pleasure!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-23-21/0427:17> »
By linking all the cars to the guid, cars will be able to instantly accelerate at a uniform speed at redlight-greenlight interactions, will navigate the streets perfectly, and so on. It's hyper-efficient.
Related video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzzSao6ypE&t=210s&ab_channel=CGPGrey

ammulder

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-23-21/0645:35> »
All vehicles have manual control.

Are you perhaps thinking of "Manual operation"?
This is a mod you can get for vehicle weapon mounts....  (not for actually driving the vehicle).

Yes I am.  I totally missed that it was for weapons and not for controlling the vehicles themselves!