NEWS

[SR5] Dice

• 30 Replies

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <06-27-15/0147:14> »
I just wish Catalyst got with Pegasus to re-release those beautiful dice they were selling, at $15ish for a tin of 12.

Or, even those nice orange/green ones with the Shadowrun "S" that were COn only.  I would gladly buy many of those if they were sold outside of cons..  to be honest, I was hoping that those would have been the dice released in the box sets too.

ah well.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-27-15/1738:52> »
Currently working to see if we could offer some form of group buy...to address this very issue. Will keep people posted.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-10-15/0737:27> »
For those interested, pre-orders are live at Q-Workshop:

Pricing: $14/set + $6.90 Shipping

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <07-10-15/1129:56> »
Placed my order. Thanks for the heads up

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-14-15/1050:09> »
Any word on discount on purchasing multiple sets - gotta have one per type, but then of course I'll want multiples per set and then there will be an expansion and I'll want more dice, then they'll release more colors and glow in the dark as well as some virtual ones, then they'll release datajacks for implantation and I'll be able to roll them with my mind, and then...<boom! brain implodes/explodes/combusts>.

What are you guys trying to do to my pocket book?!?!?! ;)

SquirrelDude

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-15-15/1128:34> »
They look gorgeous but I dislike that both that 5 and 6 are symbols instead of just straight numbers. I understand that's the case because they're intended to be used for SR5e, but that will make them frustrating to use for anything else, even other versions of Shadowrun.
"normal speech"
"under your breath"
thought
Astral
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
" translated foreign language" (Foreign Language)

Finn

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <07-22-15/0105:59> »
Rigger Dice Please. With the sixes being fire breathing V8's with superchargers!  8)
Sorry, I replaced 1/4 of my brain with a VCR, I only speak Rigger now.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-22-15/0756:39> »
They look gorgeous but I dislike that both that 5 and 6 are symbols instead of just straight numbers. I understand that's the case because they're intended to be used for SR5e, but that will make them frustrating to use for anything else, even other versions of Shadowrun.

Just wondering about that, are the 5 and 6 symbols different? if not they're going to be useless for rolls with exploding dice...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-23-15/0347:57> »

Just wondering about that, are the 5 and 6 symbols different? if not they're going to be useless for rolls with exploding dice...

Looking at the pictures, while the 5 and 6 sides of all three dice sets share the same symbols (for that set), they both clearly have a 5 or 6 on them as well.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <08-07-15/1204:33> »
Received my order today. All the dice are great quality and the iconography what you expect from Q-workshop. I am truly glad to have these dice in my collection but they have solidified my feelings about Q-Workshop. The dice are beautiful to look at but difficult to use at the table. The artwork is far to busy that you must spend extra time sorting your roll to find hits. The iconography helps but not enough.

These will be great showpieces but not usable dice for me.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-07-15/1803:51> »
Appreciate the info, would be curious to get feedback from others. I quite like mine, don't have any issues with them on the table. Curious to see the next round of designs. ;D

BIG BAD BEESTE

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <09-01-15/1211:46> »
WEll, been a while since I got out my "Shadowrun" bag of D6s, but these do look shiney. However, I'll have to agree that the designs are too "busy" for practical use at my gaming table. Even by looking at the images in this thread I can see that seeing what I've rolled on them will be a right pain and overly time consuming.

Admittedly, I do have some significant eyesight problems, but for quick reference to what the results are I seek out clean, easilly defined numbers, preferrably in a sharp contrasting colour scheme to the basic dice background colour.

As for feedback, and I wholly support the idea of promoting Shadowrun-themed "official" dice sets, here's some of my 2 nuyen.

Firstly, and most importantly, make the dice of good quality stuff (plastic?). I favour a good weight and feel to rolls. Something akin to the size of the old Yahtzee D6 I find is appropriate for tabletop RPG use. I enjoy the sound of a good roll and it unnerves players when I can do it behind my GM screen too. :D Too small (like Games Workshop's small D6 designed for their Warhammer/40K games) don't really sell me the fun and they tend to bounce too much and go everywhere. I need to "feel" my dice rolls. On the other hand, avoid too big and clonky dice - these are annoyingly loud and destructive to tables and other surfaces and items thereon. (But having large NERF style dice to throw at players I'd highly recommend;) )

Secondly, the colour schemes should be solid and a distinct contrast bertween the pips/design and background should be evident for ease of reading. I'm not averse to "busy" background designs, twirly bits and suchlike, but I'd suggest that if those are used to make them in a third colour closer to the background and ensure that the pip/number is very well defined and brighter than both the background and embellishment colours.

Avoid blending similarly-toned colours at all costs - I'm not a real fan of "marblesque" or "prism"-style transparent dice, unless they're very unique and used to designate special thing/roll.

Thirdly, ensure that the designs are evocative of the game. I would be happy to game with dice that had a distinctive Shadowrun symbol on one face - IE: the original horned skull logo from the 1st Edition rulebook would be my ultimate choice. ;) Make that the 1 face and even those Glitches will look cool and you won't mind rolling them so much! :D

OK, that's about all for now, the only other thing that lurks in my mind would be to have several different colour combos to differenciate between Attributes, Skills and Edge. Stay frosty chummers.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <12-29-15/0701:50> »
https://www.pegasusshop.de/?thisoperationid=5&Action-Display-Themengebiet=Shadowrun&Produkttyp=Rollenspiel#articleform-7

Due first quarter of 2016 apparently.  I heard that the date was bumped at least once.  But that is a great price for 12 dice.  Choose either blue or red.
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <12-29-15/1539:27> »
Thanks for the update, much appreciated!

For those interested in the Q-Workshop dice, Miniature Market currently has them on sale...~$6 for a box of six...likely as cheap as you'll find them.
« Last Edit: <12-29-15/1541:12> by AJCarrington »

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <12-29-15/2013:44> »
Miniature Market currently has them on sale...~$6 for a box of six...likely as cheap as you'll find them.

My wallet did not need to hear that!