NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #1140 on: <07-28-18/1521:20> »
You mean on the right?
If I click on the left box, it will have the flashing line, yet nothing happens when I try to type there.
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1141 on: <07-29-18/0103:36> »
...is the "PDF Parameters" setting only compatible with Adobe? 

I use different PDF software (which is more reliable) and even though I have the path to the programme loaded in the PDF Application Location field in Tools,  it keeps crashing with a pipeline error message when I try to save a print file as a PDF instead of HTML.  I do not have a printer at home and usually go to a local Kinkos to print items but their self service printers do not support HTML, though they do support the .pdf format.  Hence I have to spend considerably more to print a character record because they have to do it from a different system.

Using ver .198.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1142 on: <07-29-18/0900:08> »
I can't really help you if you don't update. I can pretty much guarantee that that issue has been resolved in one of the couple hundred commits since February. Anyway, PDF parameters is for opening PDFs when you click on the source, not for printing PDFs. If using the save-to-PDF functionality doesn't work for you, you could just use whatever PDF printer is most likely installed on your computer or grab one from somewhere on the internet.
HP15BS: So what should be happening is you click on, say, Run and Gun in the sourcebook view. The button with three dots to the right of that field is now enabled. You click on that, it opens a file dialog, and you select the Run and Gun PDF. The textbox itself doesn't actually do anything; it's something of a legacy element, I'd have either combined the functionality into just the textbox or make it a label if I were doing it originally.

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #1143 on: <07-29-18/1025:30> »
HP15BS: So what should be happening is you click on, say, Run and Gun in the sourcebook view. The button with three dots to the right of that field is now enabled. You click on that, it opens a file dialog, and you select the Run and Gun PDF.

Ohhhhhhhhh, so I should click the book on the left under "additional sourcebooks to use," then click the button on the right.

I see now.
There should really be instructions for some of these things.

(Now that I think about it, your PDFs could be named anything, so it'd need you to tell it which book you're selecting somehow.  But still, it could be a good deal more intuitive.)

Thank you!
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1144 on: <08-06-18/2214:57> »
I can't really help you if you don't update. I can pretty much guarantee that that issue has been resolved in one of the couple hundred commits since February. Anyway, PDF parameters is for opening PDFs when you click on the source, not for printing PDFs. If using the save-to-PDF functionality doesn't work for you, you could just use whatever PDF printer is most likely installed on your computer or grab one from somewhere on the internet.
HP15BS: So what should be happening is you click on, say, Run and Gun in the sourcebook view. The button with three dots to the right of that field is now enabled. You click on that, it opens a file dialog, and you select the Run and Gun PDF. The textbox itself doesn't actually do anything; it's something of a legacy element, I'd have either combined the functionality into just the textbox or make it a label if I were doing it originally.
...so it really isn't for printing PDF character records then and all we can save character data to is HTML format.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1145 on: <08-06-18/2244:39> »
Just get CutePDF and print to it?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1146 on: <08-06-18/2353:57> »
.....when I select "print to file" all that comes up is the MS XPS Document writer and no options to select another programme. 

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1147 on: <08-07-18/0009:33> »
Did you install CutePDF first? Did you restart Chummer? If you try and print a website or something, do you see the CutePDF printer?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1148 on: <08-14-18/1704:21> »
...downloaded, installed (including the converter), restarted Chummer, and I still get the pipeline error dialogue trying to save to disk as a PDF. 

Clicking the "Print" button still only opens the Windows XPS Document Writer. CutePDF does not show in the selection box nor is there any button to select another programme.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #1149 on: <08-19-18/0156:06> »
Hey . . . Using version 5.202.0, and ran into a familiar issue: on loading a character, points put into skill groups disappear but the program counts those skills as 'paid' for (using Karma builds).

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1150 on: <08-21-18/1049:37> »
@kyoto kid: If you can't see the printer at all, then I don't know what I can do for you. It's presumably something specific to your environment; it's possibly an appdata issue caused by something in our code, but I stepped through and couldn't see anything that should have had that effect. As you're on a current build now, when it crashed it should have generated a crash report on your desktop. If you can post the specific error message that's included in that I might have something more to work off.
@longshot23: I can't reproduce it in the latest build; can you show me your file? Send it to chummer5isalive@gmail.com if you'd prefer not to upload it here or anything.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #1151 on: <08-21-18/1200:23> »
As you're on a current build now, when it crashed it should have generated a crash report on your desktop.

No, it doesn't.

I've stayed out of this and let Kyoto Kid handle it to keep from looking like we are "ganging up" on you.  For this, I'll chime in.

The error doesn't cause a crash report.  The error comes up in a pop-up window that has text as unselectable for some reason.  I had to do some image manipulation to get you a picture of the error (and I hate image manipulation, just as fair warning).

You will find a picture of the error attached to this post.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1152 on: <08-23-18/0837:04> »
Nah, it's helpful to get multiple perspectives on an issue, no need to worry about that. I'd rather see a lot of 'Hey, this is happening to me too' than radio silence. If nothing else it gives me an idea of what I need to triage.

Anyway, I'm guessing from the screenshot that you're also on Windows 7, which means it most likely is an environmental issue in that it's the operating system itself. I'll have a look into what can be done with it, but it may take me some time to find an acceptable solution. In the meantime, I'd suggest finding a PDF printer that works for you in Windows 7 and using that if you need to export to PDF.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #1153 on: <08-23-18/1029:06> »
Anyway, I'm guessing from the screenshot that you're also on Windows 7, which means it most likely is an environmental issue in that it's the operating system itself.

*slaps forehead*  All that information was clearly in my mind when I wrote that post, didn't you read it?  :P

Yes, Win 7 64 bit Ultimate.  Fairly fresh install, less than a week old.

So, if any version of Win 7 was gonna have what Chummer is trying to use, it would be this version.

Putting on my "programming cap," I'd say it almost isn't worth looking into if it is a Win 7 only issue.  With Redmond threatening to EOL Win 7 any day now.  Annny day now....  Any day now.  ;)

Strictly as a user though, I would like the support for PDF in Chummer.

As for needing PDF support...  That really isn't an issue.  For starters, anyone I would send a PDF to, could just as easily open a html file.  Not to mention there are many other way to get around that particular issue.

I would rank it solidly in the "quality of life" category, for me at least.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1154 on: <08-26-18/2054:01> »
@kyoto kid: If you can't see the printer at all, then I don't know what I can do for you. It's presumably something specific to your environment; it's possibly an appdata issue caused by something in our code, but I stepped through and couldn't see anything that should have had that effect. As you're on a current build now, when it crashed it should have generated a crash report on your desktop. If you can post the specific error message that's included in that I might have something more to work off.
...major headdesk (and apologies for not getting back sooner).

I figured out what I was doing wrong, I was trying to save as a PDF directly from Chummer.

I thought about it afterwards and then tried a little experiment where saved the HTML file to a location on my system and opened it in a browser where I selected the print option. It pulled up the same WindowsXPS dialogue box but this time with a selection window that showed CutePDF as one of the options (which never occurred directly from Chummer).  Checked the settings, then saved the file to the desktop and was able to open it in my PDF reader with no trouble. 

So an extra step in the process but it will save me time and money for printing as I can now use one of the the self service machines.