NEWS

Commlink Low D/F - House Rule Idea

• 3 Replies

Bishop75

• Newb
« on: <05-04-20/1256:54> »
Just reading the comments here on the low D/F ratings of Commlinks / personal PANs and I agree that this doesn't seem to work well in practice. Yet the rules for hacking hosts seem to be largely workable. I think what missing is something in the middle, the equivalent of a protected home networking hub. I'll call it an Access Port for lack of a better term. I'm thinking of using this as a house rule... looking for comments... good / bad / unworkable?

-------------------------------
Access Ports

An access port is a device that is used to provide added security to home devices and commlinks. It does not have an A/S rating and can’t be used for illegal matrix actions. It can have physical storage (home media, etc) or be linked to cloud storage. They can only defend passively against matrix actions. They can be loaded with IC.

It has the same ratings (Device Rating, D/F) as a CyberJack but at 10% of the price (that may need tweaking).

It can only slave a number of devices (commlinks or other) equal to its Data Processing rating.

While normally fixed, it can be mobile as long as it has a power source. Vehicle mounts are common for security, law enforcement applications, and paranoid shadowrunners who don’t have a decker to support them. Maybe only rating 1-2 should be man portable (a laptop sized device), 3-4 in a vehicle and 5+ are fixed mount only.

Rules for noise apply in the connection between device and slave.
----------------

I like this rule because it provide an option for enhanced security over the standard commlink, especially for security forces, but for also for shadowrunners and even Joe wage slave (while at home). An access port can be installed in a patrol car to provide reasonable level of security instead of relying on the commlink's pathetic security. It's also not perfect and can be defeated thanks to the rules for noise (jamming) and has limited range.

Thoughts.. comments.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <05-04-20/1331:56> »
Even a deck can't host IC, and Agents are currently not available for purchase either, so having a portable device that can run IC is a bit much. If you were to introduce a simple Agent, that'd be a different thing, but IC is a lot.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-04-20/1349:30> »
Honestly most of the legal uses for what you described could be covered by a Host. Live in a secure legal apartment? Use the apartment building host. Patrol and Security vehicles can be slaved to a Host. Stuff like that.

As for the low commlink attributes I've submitted some ideas and waiting official feedback. Once I have that I will either include it in my official Guide to the Matrix or as optional house rules.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Bishop75

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-10-20/1011:49> »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm new to this version and I read a little more and agree this is unnecessary, can just use hosts.

Which brought up an interesting question about hosts and their physical existence. Nothing is mentioned about this is the rule book and I'm wondering how others handle it. For example, I suppose Mom's Sewing Machine Shop could have a physical host located on-premises,  but I'm thinking that likely it would not be. They would being using some sort of 2080 version of a cloud service and the physical equipment running it could be anywhere in the world. Does this make sense? Is this how other's are handling this?

That entirely solves my problem of the security patrol having poor security as they are simply subscribed to the corporate host. Easy peasy, except one thing: Noise due to range. How to handle this? If a host doesn't have a defined physical location do we just say anything subscribed to it doesn't suffer range related noise?

And for that matter, when would range related noise kick in? The book is rather lean on the topic of noise. Is this meant to be distance from a Matrix signal tower? Not familiar with 5thed, but this almost looks like a hold over from 4thed where devices have a signal rating and communicate directly or via the matrix. If Joe Decker in Chicago is hacking Mom's Sewing Machine Shop and the physical machine running Mom's host is in Singapore would he get a -8 to all hacking tests? That, of course doesn't make sense (at least to me), but if you read to rules as per RAW, it's easy to interpret it that way.