NEWS

Contact Lenses

• 11 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <02-23-20/0659:47> »
I'm sure the tech exists in SR,
but I'm not sure which book has a detailed description of
AR contact lenses.
Can you get Thermo and Flare Comp, in a contact lens?
I want a character to pretend he has cyber eyes with some whole eye contacts.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1 on: <02-23-20/0824:02> »
Core rule book

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-25-20/1748:31> »
Chalkarts,

I believe all editions allowed contact lenses.   

SR6, P 274 Optical and Imaging Devices.  You buy them so they have 1-3 capacity and the capacity determines how much stuff you can put in them.  Goggles and Glasses are the same way.  However they are cheaper per level of capacity. 

SR6, P275, give you Enhancements, the capacity requirements and cost.

So, you have the pay for the Optical Device AND the Enhancements.

Regards,
Sir Ludwig
Si vis pacem, para bellum

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-25-20/1835:17> »
In case it matters, while contacts are less obvious than smartglasses or goggles, and you won't have to worry about losing your image link at the coat check, you can't plug your smartgun directly into them.
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-10-20/1938:38> »
If you plug your smartgun into your smartlink enhanced goggles you also no longer get the positive dice pool modifier, wind compensation, ejecting clip as a free action, changing firing mode as a free action and both bonuses with each action of aiming.

You basically only get to fire around corners using the onboard camera and the +2 accuracy bonus.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #5 on: <05-01-20/0439:33> »
If you plug your smartgun into your smartlink enhanced goggles you also no longer get the positive dice pool modifier, wind compensation, ejecting clip as a free action, changing firing mode as a free action and both bonuses with each action of aiming.

You basically only get to fire around corners using the onboard camera and the +2 accuracy bonus.

Not if you run them wireless. Then you still get those benefits, but only +1 to dice pool. SR5 p. 433.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-02-20/1641:39> »
Either you (1) connect your smartgun with your smartgoggles via a physical cable (instead of using a wireless connection) or you (2) connect your smartgun with your smartgoggles via wireless connection (instead of using a physical cable) while working in concert with DNI. The two options have different pros and cons. Just take your pick as you see fit.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <05-05-20/1600:22> »
Either you (1) connect your smartgun with your smartgoggles via a physical cable (instead of using a wireless connection) or you (2) connect your smartgun with your smartgoggles via wireless connection (instead of using a physical cable) while working in concert with DNI. The two options have different pros and cons. Just take your pick as you see fit.

Sure, but you can still run goggles+smartgun and get all the bonuses, except only +1 dice pool.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-06-20/1135:03> »
I said that if you don't run them wireless (if you plug them in with a cable) then you don't get a positive dice pool bonus (along with a lot of other positive bonuses):

To which you reply "no".
And then you start talking about if you connected wireless then you get a positive pool bonus..... :o

I think perhaps you missed something in the post you originally replied to?
Perhaps you read +2 'accuracy' and responded with +1 'dice pool'?? ...or something.... I don't know. You don't make any sense right now :-)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <05-06-20/1205:39> »
You are equating a cable with not running wireless at all. You can run a cable and still have them wireless, turning off wireless the second you realise there's an enemy decker afoot.

Not running wireless means not getting +1 die, and not being able to Eject/Switch Firing Mode as a Free Action. So you lose 1 die for not having an implant, then lose those 3 benefits if you turn off wireless.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-06-20/1341:02> »
You are typically not using wifi when your laptop is connected with a network cable.
If your laptop is on wifi then it is typically not connected via a network cable.

Also,
Quote from: SR5 p. 433 Smartgun System
The smartgun features are accessed either by universal access port cable to an imaging device (like glasses, goggles, or a datajack for someone with cybereyes) or by a wireless connection working in concert with direct neural interface.

But, yes, I understand what you are getting at ;-)

...then lose those 3 benefits if you turn off wireless.
(in addition to the three you mentioned you also lose the benefit of compensating for wind as well as getting both positive dice pool and accuracy when taking aim)

Even when just connected with a cable (and using no wireless connection at all) you still get the benefits of the range finder, keeping track on ammunition, heat buildup, and material stress (which give you a +2 accuracy). And in addition to this you can also still change firing mode and eject clip without physically touching the weapon, just that it will now be a simple action (but this is mostly a firearms bonus rather than a smartgun specific bonus). And you can also fire around corners with a negative dice pool modifier of 3 dice rather than taking a -6 blind fire modifier (but that is mostly a camera bonus rather than a smartgun specific bonus).

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <05-08-20/1642:22> »
I said that if you don't run them wireless (if you plug them in with a cable) then you don't get a positive dice pool bonus (along with a lot of other positive bonuses):

To which you reply "no".
And then you start talking about if you connected wireless then you get a positive pool bonus..... :o

I think perhaps you missed something in the post you originally replied to?
Perhaps you read +2 'accuracy' and responded with +1 'dice pool'?? ...or something.... I don't know. You don't make any sense right now :-)

I responded to your statement that you get no bonuses if you're plugged into goggles, but you left out "and not running wireless". You can be plugged in and still run wireless. But it appears we're in agreement, so it's just semantics. Carry on =)