NEWS

Combat mage elf

• 68 Replies

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <02-12-12/0011:44> »
Of course I wasn't expecting the whole tradition, the concept helped a lot, thank you.  But here is what I am curious about, how does a black magician actually use his magic?  Does he do it through arcane signs and gestures that force his will upon the world?  Does he get the powers from pacts with spirits or from connection to nature or some sort of god?  This is the part that really interests me, because how a character casts their spells reflects how they see the world.  It's the main reason I chose hermetic magic over shamanic magic. 

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <02-12-12/0623:09> »
Black Mages can do any of those; the idea seems to be "power is power, it doesn't matter where it comes from."

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <02-12-12/0633:50> »
That sounds great, though it seems more like it could be a variant of almost any tradition.  Either way that is perfect and I am changing the original post to reflect that now.  Thanks again, this is a huge help. 
« Last Edit: <02-12-12/0651:49> by Dracain »

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <02-12-12/2359:37> »
UmaroVI is turning you over to the darkside

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <02-13-12/0826:13> »
No, the dark always wins, for three reasons.  The first, is because they have UNLIMITED POWA!!!  The second is because we have better cookies, and the third reason is that evil will always win, because good is dumb.  I know it's lame, but I couldn't resist the chance for three in a row. 

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <02-17-12/1801:00> »
Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to ask if anyone thought my spell list was bad.  I have street magic and digital grimoire, and so far this seems to work out without too much trouble, but I was hoping I could get a second opinion, does anyone think it seems a little redundant?  I am just wondering this because I don't want to screw over my fellow players when I start playing by having a crappy character, if I am gonna be a combat mage the least I could do is do it effectively.  The reason I double posted was because I didn't think this required a whole new thread, but if I just edited the old post, no one would likely notice it.  Thanks for any answers and sorry again about the double post. 
« Last Edit: <02-17-12/1804:38> by Dracain »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <02-17-12/1807:36> »
I do think you should fiddle with your spell list a bit. My suggestions are here: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=6259.msg109291#msg109291

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <02-17-12/1812:52> »
Thanks, I should have re-read the thread, what you said there makes sense, though I am probably gonna keep the flame spells for my element just because my character and myself have minor pyromania.  I figured it would be a good idea to have the pistols in case I needed something without drain, but I wasn't considering that a force 6 stunbolt would be very effective and only have 2 DV.  Just made some edits to the char, removing pistols and the mana spells, adding sustaining foci for armor and increased reflexes, as well as gear BP to buy them. 
« Last Edit: <02-17-12/1921:12> by Dracain »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <02-17-12/1937:46> »
One note is that force rounds down for drain, so you usually want to cast at odd force, not even.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <02-17-12/2005:28> »
I know it rounds down, but casting at seven would be overcasting (unless the magic from power foci make it so you can go longer without overcasting, but I don't think that's how it works, is it?).  I figured that was for emergency situations, but I guess at this point it makes sense because my drain here is likely to be nothing anyway. 
« Last Edit: <02-17-12/2054:30> by Dracain »

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #40 on: <02-18-12/0831:58> »
One note is that force rounds down for drain, so you usually want to cast at odd force, not even.

Except that if you have an even "effective Magic rating" and cast at the next odd number over it, it may be the same DV but it suddenly becomes Phys instead of Stun.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <02-18-12/1719:15> »
That's what I was thinking, but then I thought that if you're casting stunbolt 7 it still is only 2 DV, and with 12 drain resist that means that it will almost certainly be resisted.  Hell, double it up and you have two force 7 stunbolts flying at the guy that only have 3 DV each, which is likely to be resisted, combine that with net hits and that is almost certain to take down almost anything instantly.  Oh, any suggestion on whether I should take armor with a sustaining foci, or use that for something else?  I could get four more spells if I dropped the foci and armor, though the three extra points of defence could come in handy. 
« Last Edit: <02-18-12/1724:03> by Dracain »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <02-18-12/1759:56> »
Combat Sense is generally a better buff spell to sustain on yourself than Armor. It doesn't make you glow (which is the biggest issue with Armor), also, extra defense is generally better than extra armor of the same value.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <02-18-12/1819:47> »
While that makes sense, I must ask if glowing really is that big of an issue for a combat mage?  I won't be sneaking often, and I can just turn it off if I really do need to not be shiny. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #44 on: <02-18-12/1824:39> »
Glowing is a problem because:

1.  You might be mistaken for a Twilight Vampire, and thus shot on sight.

2.  You'll be ID'd as a magician, and thus shot on sight.

:P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11