NEWS

[SR5] Hermetic Mage

• 61 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <08-31-13/0908:46> »
That an average human isn't below-average in their natural attributes?
You can have average Logic with 1 natural point of Logic boosted with 2 points of cerebral boosters or you can have average Logic with 3 natural points of Logic. They both have average Logic. Yes, (imo) even the one that have below-average in their natural attributes.
But your natural atrribute is what matters for the norm. If the average human requires augmentations to have an Average Logic, then it's not Average Logic.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #61 on: <09-05-13/0349:11> »
We roughly mean the same thing =
1) We both agree that a character can start with rating 2 in weaker attributes (or maybe even rating 1 if there is a good case for it).
2) We both agree that GMs should not assume that all characters always prioritize the attribute column to A or B
3) We both agree that Human and Mundane is normal for metatype and magic priority columns

That is good enough for me.

But no, I don't think we agree 100% (but it is OK to agree to disagree)
4) Unlike you, I consider D or E the baseline for all priority columns, not just for metatype and magic.
- I consider anything above D or E as something you actively prioritized.
If you start as a Dwarf, Ork or Troll you prioritized the metatype column.
If you start as a Technomancer, Mystic Adept or [Full] Magician you prioritized the Magic column.

If you  start with 16, 20 or 24 attribute points I think you prioritized the attribute column.... Shrug.

If you have the 20 or 24, then yes attributes are pretty heavily prioritized, but not at 16.

But your natural atrribute is what matters for the norm. If the average human requires augmentations to have an Average Logic, then it's not Average Logic.

Exactly.

The way I view things is this:

There are some games where being average is more expected than others. Those would be games like World of Darkness when the characters are mortals rather than a supernatural type. Other games, IMO, have a degree of "special-ness" (yes, I realize that isn't a real word) in the PCs where they should be better than average for the 'norm'.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen