NEWS

SRM 04-07: Burn Now Available!

• 16 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <02-20-12/1558:10> »
SRM 04-07: Burn turns up the heat in the Ork Underground

A new Shadowrun Mission, SRM 04-07: Burn has been released (Battleshop, DriveThruRPG), plunging runners back into the chaos of the Ork Underground. Here are the full details:

The Heat of Friction

If constant friction makes things hot, then the Ork Underground is ready to blaze. Proposition 23, known to some as “Project Freedom,” is coming closer to a vote, and it could make the Ork Underground a full district of the city of Seattle. People on both sides are willing to do just about anything to make the vote go their way, and they’re demonstrating that willingness with blades, bullets, explosives, and more. This has become more than a fight for votes—it’s a struggle for survival.

SRM 04-07: Burn is the latest in the Shadowrun Missions series looking at events in the Underground and their impact on the rest of the city. Runners will be thrown into the chaos with the chance to bring some perpetrators of recent violence to justice. If they survive, they may also learn about the deeper conspiracies behind the violence that is shaking the Underground.

SRM 04-07: Burn can be played as part of the ongoing series of Missions or as a standalone adventure. It’s for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-23-12/2308:57> »
Anyone pick this one up yet?  I will eventually, but I'd like to know what you think.  The OU missions I feel are the better ones in this group.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #2 on: <02-23-12/2353:20> »
Picked up and gave it a good read.  Good mission, should be interesting.  There was a good review in the lastest DriverthruRPG email.

Last encounter might be a bit of a let down, and a lot of combat for a one session type mission.  But the story looks good, Bull is a leading NPC, and if you are playing the mission out, progresses the whole thing nicely.

Still, I would look forward to some play reviews and see how it all works in an actual game.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <02-23-12/2354:41> »
Have heavy metal chase music handy.  Something industrial, maybe.  But it's got to sound like an engine pounding you inside your chest.  Best bit of advice I can give.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-18-12/1946:26> »
I finally was able to pick this up, and it isn't a dissappointment.  I agree with the above statement; the last combat scenario just kind of stinks.  Story wise, this mission gives quite a bit of foreshadowing, with quite a bit of more questions to be answered.

Truly, I hope Brackhaven's the one behind this and it comes out in the missions.  I don't know how much cannon the missions can garner, but it'd be cool.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <03-18-12/2005:58> »
Thanks street.mage!  Yeah, the last combat thing is...  Not up to snuff.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Qualidar

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-20-12/1428:58> »
I'm going to disagree about the end: it may not be up to snuff as a combat encounter, but it's very satisfying as a story encounter.

And I certainly also want to add my vote that whomever is responsible for this get's exposed in the end.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <04-20-12/1514:02> »
Thank you very much Qualidar.

I'm starting to wonder if people are remembering the explosive barrels I had placed around the garage?  Steel-jacketed rounds + Steel drums + Explosive contents = Fun for the people with Improvised Explosives skills.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <05-15-12/1601:07> »
No one else has anything to say?   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #9 on: <05-17-12/1751:20> »
Monowire + Elves on motorcycles = One hell of a cleanup.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-05-12/2101:01> »
I got to play this at Origins. While Lifeseeker is fairly anti underground legalization (he's a former tax paying surface Ork, he sees the underground as a ghetto ran by ork thugs) the oppositions choice of targets [spoiler]schools[/spoiler] put him in an a right murderous mood and this is normally a guy who goes non-lethal all the time because of his docwagon background.

Seeing a certain someone again was a suprise. Captain Jack wasn't particularly antagonistic because we made it clear our troubles before were strictly business. Humorously enough we'd gotten into see him by going as a Docwagon team assigned to check his medical and general health as part of his contact with the firm. When he gave us his price of assistance I said "Fine" and after verifying the other person inside with me (our face) wasn't magically active I touched him and pulled him into the matrix with resonance trodes having my waiting sprite wallop him with blackout. Then we called the guard and told him we had a medical emergency while another player sent their supply drone with a metahuman comparment rig (kitted out in docwagon colors and logos thanks to the mods) to spirit him away. To make everything look cool once we got him onto the aerovac we stayed behind to sign a relase chit and I burned my fake ID. Sure it cost me just slightly less then what i was standing to make on the mission but it beat shooting up a police station and I'm willing to spend money to kick in the teeth of some child murdering slags.

The info Jack offered was somewhat questionable but we chose to let it go with the admonishment that if he was dicking us around going back to the the UCAS Federal Prision system would seem pleasant by comparison.

The fight with the couriers was a bit logner then it should have been if we'd used better tactics. It helped that we had no less then three fairly tricked out vehicles to intercept in. Mr Fantastics car did catch and engage, the Docwagon SRT (mine) for roadblock, and one other two legged vehicle to go physically wresting things. Between that and our mages with physical barrier we had the couriers wrapped up pretty easily it was mostly a matter of getting the package away and dissuading pursuit.

The end fight i don't really remember much of as even with skipping the prision break we were running short on time. We impersonated a courtier and put a note with a bomb under it on the door. When the bomb went off that was our go code to raid the place. Someone else dealt with the mages and the rest was just so much clean up. Fun module, might have a few too many combat scenes.
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/2114:51> by lurkeroutthere »
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <06-05-12/2146:03> »
Too much combat?

*Makes Notes*

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <06-06-12/1845:10> »
A little bit perhaps. A six man courier team seemed a touch unrealistic. One to ride point, one to ride chase and one to bring up the rear with maybe a drone overwatch would be what I would use in the sixth world or perhaps just a single rider. Also realisticly whatever their couriering should be in a stowage compartment on a bike. Couriers arn't really going to outfight anyone determined to take their package, their mostly going to outrun everyone they can in my opinion. Making it a six person team just seemed like a mandatory combat.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <06-06-12/1919:34> »
Actually, having the package out and able to be thrown/caught easily by the couriers, I was more going for a excessively complex shell game type thing rather than combat.  Something that required Perception Skills and Tactics rather than brute combat.

I fully admit I think I really got too artistic with this.  It's my first written adventure, and I learned a lot, I assure everyone.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #14 on: <06-07-12/1317:56> »
I got to headbutt someone hard enough to leave a dent in their motorcycle helmet, so I'm happy.

:)

-k