NEWS

6e humans.

• 123 Replies

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #120 on: <09-02-19/0545:10> »
What was that handicap? My second ever Shadowrun character (after my first turned out to be useless) was a shaman with prio A in resources so she could start with a big power focus and a ton of spell locks, which turned out to be game-breakingly powerful. I did not notice any handicap of those spell locks.
All active foci formed a permanently running connection to the Astral plane. An Astrally projecting hostile mage could use to cast a spell into the physical plane. So: you trip an alarm, a projecting security wagemage is with you in seconds, they spot your running focus, and send a fireball down it. Now you and everyone around you is sad. And on fire.
I remember that, yes. Or I remember that you could cast fireballs from astral space, and maybe I forgot that you can only do that through foci, but it makes sense.

I also think giving mages effectively unlimited ability to sustain buffing spells makes them too powerful (and 5e does that, and 6e makes it worse.) I imagine your shaman was indeed fearsome if your GM overlooked/didn't enforce this.
Yeah, it makes sense that there need to be some limitations here. Maybe the spell only lasts for an hour, which means you can't heal the drain you got from casting it. Then there needs to be a realistic risk of getting some drain, and that should prevent most people from going overboard on this.

Drain seems to be very easy to resist these days, though.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #121 on: <09-02-19/0550:14> »
It does, that's come out very strong in the analysis I've done. I'm going to expand the doc a bit to cover some side-by-side examples of various other spells to find out if this is just for buffing spells or sytematic across the system.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #122 on: <09-02-19/0839:28> »
It does, that's come out very strong in the analysis I've done. I'm going to expand the doc a bit to cover some side-by-side examples of various other spells to find out if this is just for buffing spells or sytematic across the system.

Well, Drain stats are essentially where they've always been.  Or could get to reasonably quickly after play starts.  Drain stat +4 + Willpower +4.  Indirect Combat spells are doing base damage 3 for 5  base drain so arguably are F + 2 Drain code so drain is higher per damage dealt.  But target's Soak is lower so more of it carries through.  Direct Spells I feel are mostly a wash.  No limit in 6th, 5th normally you'd be going with Force 5 or 6 so the drain is basically the same.  But Direct spells are resisted by 2 stats now instead of 1, however with Amp Up all mages basically have "Witness My Hate" PQ. 

SR5 had Reckless casting so two spells per turn was always an option out of the gate, for a higher drain code.  SR6 mages can get there with +2d6 so Jazz or a sustain does it. 

Overall my feel is that Drain per Damage is a little higher and the damage ceiling has been considerably lowered.  But Multiple casts are now easier so Machine Gun Mages should be able to clear tokens like crazy without dropping themselves.

Good old Chaotic World seems about the same.  SR 5, cast at Force 6, 6m Radius, for 6 Drain.  SR 6, increase Radius to 6M is going to be 7 Drain total.  SR 6 it will be easier to combo an AoE Chaos and a Physical Barrier so that'll be funny for someone.  IMO debuffs are basically a wash.  They were the best subtle option in SR 5 IMO because you could stack Gravity Well, Vines, Bind, Foreboding, and a couple others.  Basically pick two, Reckless cast and lock down the entire map.  Let the team clean up.  That looks like it will still work in SR 6 once more spells get published. 

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #123 on: <09-02-19/0841:50> »
Oh, I meant when comparing 2e->5e, not 5e->6e. Sorry, that was ambiguous. I agree 5e and 6e look similar (although I haven't dismantled 6e's magic system yet so I can't claim huge familiarity.)