NEWS

Drones helping by using teamwork tests?

• 44 Replies

kainite311

• Chummer
  • PC's are just murder hobo's...
« on: <06-04-18/1835:17> »
Can a drone assist a player or NPC by using a teamwork test? So long as it has the proper autosoft (skill) that is required in a normal teamwork test and observing the limits that a teamwork test has (skill limit of dice added)?

For instance, teamwork test shooting at someone using targeting autosoft?
Perception test using clearsoft?
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-04-18/1850:48> »
No reason it can't.

IMO a Rigger can and should have some drones with articulated arms and appropriate repair softs to assist on Technical tasks.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-04-18/1927:07> »
I know you can use a teamwork test of sorts for melee combat (it is well described in the core book), but a teamwork test for ranged combat......?

kainite311

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <06-04-18/1934:36> »
Actually I as thinking for non riggers. A street sam using using a aerial drone to help against "good cover" and such. The mage or techno without cyberware and good gun skills. Helping anyone out on a perception check. The small drones are cheap enough, and don't take much 'action economy' or resources to use.

I know you can use a teamwork test of sorts for melee combat (it is well described in the core book), but a teamwork test for ranged combat......?
I haven't been able to find a rule against it...
So a spotter can't help a sniper?
What about maybe a tactical or other type of situational teamwork type bonus...
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <06-04-18/2026:08> »
If the rigger jumped in to said drone could for sure.

But a straight dog brain drone, not out of the box. I don't see a reason why you couldn't program that sort of behavior, but I'm not sure how you would do it within the system. If we can teach a dog to point at a squirrel, we can teach a drone to light up a target.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

kainite311

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <06-04-18/2034:13> »
What if the squirrels have really big teeth and bloodshot eyes?
Kainite

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-04-18/2036:26> »
If we can teach a dog to point at a squirrel, we can teach a drone to light up a target.

This is my favorite thing today.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-04-18/2202:10> »
What if the squirrels have really big teeth and bloodshot eyes?

Well you better not miss then.
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <06-05-18/0030:40> »
Can a drone assist a player or NPC by using a teamwork test? So long as it has the proper autosoft (skill) that is required in a normal teamwork test and observing the limits that a teamwork test has (skill limit of dice added)?

For instance, teamwork test shooting at someone using targeting autosoft?
Perception test using clearsoft?
Teamwork shooting? O_O I know about Swarms, and Suppressive Fire, but Teamwork shooting? O        O
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-05-18/0134:00> »
I haven't been able to find a rule against it...
You need to find a rule that allows it. Not the other way around.

The book have a lot of text describing (and thus allowing) a version of Teamwork for melee attacks. Not a single row describing (or thus allowing) teamwork for ranged attacks.

I am not saying I am totally against the idea of a spotter helping a sniper (but I would say that the Smartgun/Smartlink changed that by now), just that I don't think it is supported out of the box. If you want to allow it I think you would have to house rule it. At least for now.
« Last Edit: <06-05-18/0224:07> by Xenon »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-05-18/1538:40> »
We have Tac-Nets and sprites diagnostic anything and everything that can rub two electrons together.
So i don't think concept is weird or anything so I am totally sure it's possible, just need some kind of autosoft programmed for cooperation.
How to make that i'm not sure, in the short term a house rule in long term pursue a ruling on how to make it work.
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-05-18/1545:35> »
I don't know that another autosoft is necessary... any number of drones can already cooperatively share 1 single appropriate Autosoft running on the RCC.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <06-05-18/1626:16> »
Yeah, just make sure to focus on 1 or 2 Drone Types and a good RCC can easily handle streaming their software. =) 2 types is pushing it though, then you already need to give up some Autosofts.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #13 on: <06-05-18/1659:49> »
Can't resist.

Little buddy
Little buddy
Wherever I go he goes.
Little buddy and Me!!

In all serious though I find the Little buddy to be one of the better skill drones for many applications
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-05-18/2034:09> »
I don't know that another autosoft is necessary... any number of drones can already cooperatively share 1 single appropriate Autosoft running on the RCC.

I'm not talking about drones cooperating with drones, I'm talking about them cooperating with people.
Maybe something else is easier but autosoft seems like the most direct way to pin the issue down, otherwise how do you know what to roll?
Pilot rating? The Team work gadget add on?
Thinking
com
speaking