NEWS

Is missions convention only?

• 6 Replies

bmoham

• Newb
« on: <07-09-18/1033:49> »
I'm looking to get back into playing and running shadowrun, but having trouble making sense of the status of Missions. I see it listed at cons (and actually played at dexcon last weekend) but https://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/ has links to what looks like year5/chicago games while this forum is talking about year 9/tokyo. Plus I don't know where to go to see if anyone is running mission in my area (Maryland, outside of DC) and the  srmissions@gmail.com email address I found bounced back.

So basically I'm wondering if there is any support for playing shadowrun missions outside of cons or is that just not a thing anymore? Obviously I can just setup a meetup and play a shadowrun homegame, but it seems like playing missions is surprisingly hard.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <07-09-18/1115:40> »
Used to be that the site for the Demo team had a public page where you could see upcoming events. Unfortunately that site went down a while ago and they're still rebuilding it. Only the private section is partially back right now.

It's possible to run Missions outside Cons, but I just checked and can't find any MD-venues except for a convention from 2015. So no idea if there's anyone hosting them near you.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <07-09-18/1118:27> »
FWIW, Missions seasons 5-7 are fully available on drivethrurpg, and the first two missions of season 8 as well.  There is always a lag between what they get out for conventions and when they publish them as pdfs.  Hopefully season 8 becomes fully available soon, and season 9 starts trickling out by Christmas, but I don't know who is taking care of that side of things currently, if anyone.

bmoham

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-09-18/1232:28> »
Makes sense. thanks for the replies. I'll probably pull together a season 5-8 group in my area. Typically if you're willing to run games and host (which I am) finding players isn't hard.
But, just so I'm clear, am I correct in thinking the characters we play won't be convention legal going forward (since gencon, and I'm guessing all the cons after, will need tokyo characters)?

thanks  again

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <07-09-18/1258:22> »
I assume going forward character will be linked to specific seasons, which isn't to say they aren't legal, so long as your running the missions from before the new set they are perfectly fine. They can't be played in mods from the new seasons going forward. But there is no shortage of content to play from the past seasons.  For good while to come there will be a lot more old mods to play, the there will be new mods.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-09-18/1258:45> »
Makes sense. thanks for the replies. I'll probably pull together a season 5-8 group in my area. Typically if you're willing to run games and host (which I am) finding players isn't hard.
But, just so I'm clear, am I correct in thinking the characters we play won't be convention legal going forward (since gencon, and I'm guessing all the cons after, will need tokyo characters)?

thanks  again

Yes and no.

Characters for the Chicago campaign (seasons 5-8) can still play season 5-8 missions.  They just can't play in season 9+.

So what that technicality means is if, two years from now, you go to a Con and they're running a CMP from season 5-8, you can still play your Chicago character.  They're not forcibly retired- there's just no more missions being written for them. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ktonberry249

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-10-18/0745:17> »
We do run missions occasionally(when we have them to run) at the Haven in Frederick. We usually schedule through meetup(https://www.meetup.com/Frederick-RPG-Consortium/). Once the Neo-Tokyo missions and CMPs for 2018 are out for running we will schedule a sunday once a month and run two missions that day.
The same applies to our 1st/3rd/5th(7/19 next game) Thursday Shadowrun Game @ Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie, we will run the new modules once they are available to play. - We are running non-missions content now if you want to play some Shadowrun(we just finished Harlequin & Harlequin's Back, now starting "Ripping Reality").
« Last Edit: <07-10-18/0747:32> by Ktonberry249 »