NEWS

'Special Forces' Hacker

• 38 Replies

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <11-11-12/1550:51> »
There is also the option of skillwires. When compared to training expenses, it's rather trivial at 6000 nuyen for Rating 3. You can get the whole soldiering package there, the rest can be taught normally (survival stuff perhaps). The software of course would be expensive, but I'm sure government contractors don't charge per installation. Or at least, these armed forces would have a cheaper means of providing skillsofts.

Let's see, with a Datajack, Skillwires Rating 3, and Wired Reflexes 1 it comes to 15,750 nuyen and 2.43 Essence with a Cyberware Suite.

Cheap. With an Agility of 3 and a Smartlink, that's 8 dice for shooting which ain't bad.

Now there doesn't seem to be much of a stigma for people to 'ware up in the Sixth World. And for those signing up to be in a combat MOS, I'm sure they'd take any upgrades they can to survive. That suite above is damned cheap, I've made guns that cost less than that. Factor in mass production and so on I don't think most outfits would even bother redeeming the ware. Of course, they'd be useful as second-hand 'ware to new recruits.

There are the professional soldiers who rate a Military Armour suit. Then there are the fodder that don't need much training.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #31 on: <11-11-12/1738:46> »
Or at least, these armed forces would have a cheaper means of providing skillsofts.

Oh, yeah, that part's simple.

I'm pretty dang sure they've got enough skilled coders that they can just task some of them to custom-make the required Skillsofts without having to pay royalties. Either that, or make a work-for-hire arrangement with Ares or someone, so that they own the software outright rather than paying per-license.
« Last Edit: <11-11-12/1740:32> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <11-15-12/2251:58> »
The Lone Star SWAT suite from Augmentation seems about right for typical combat soldier (the description specifically mentions the UCAS military, although there's wiggle room for what the UCAS equivalent of SWAT is.) Flare Comp, Thermo and Smartgun Eye mods. Wired 1 and Plastic bone Lacing.

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <11-16-12/1021:46> »
Yeah I wouldn't even bother with the eye mods for fodder. Or even the standard soldiers. Sure, there's something to be said about always having Flare Comp on (and also the sound dampeners) but it's easier to build them into Goggles or Helmets. Makes upgrades easier, software and hardware.

I'd consider Synthacardium (I think that's the one) to be a good standard issue bioware. Boost all your soldier's capabilties? Yes please.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <11-17-12/0408:00> »
Yeah I wouldn't even bother with the eye mods for fodder. Or even the standard soldiers. Sure, there's something to be said about always having Flare Comp on (and also the sound dampeners) but it's easier to build them into Goggles or Helmets. Makes upgrades easier, software and hardware.

I'd consider Synthacardium (I think that's the one) to be a good standard issue bioware. Boost all your soldier's capabilties? Yes please.

Running, Climbing, Swimming, and traversing difficult terrain at speed (Gymnastics - Parkour specialty)... oh heck yeah.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <11-17-12/0428:10> »

Running, Climbing, Swimming, and traversing difficult terrain at speed (Gymnastics - Parkour specialty)... oh heck yeah.

Yep, sounds good for a less budget conscious force. Couldn't be repossessed though (at least unless its the Aztlaner Army...)

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <11-17-12/0450:49> »

Yep, sounds good for a less budget conscious force. Couldn't be repossessed though (at least unless its the Aztlaner Army...)

It's only 30k for a Rating 3 at Standard Grade pricing... why would they bother? Just make it part of the debt they have to work off during their tour.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <11-17-12/1334:29> »

It's only 30k for a Rating 3 at Standard Grade pricing... why would they bother? Just make it part of the debt they have to work off during their tour.

That was actually my point earlier remember. I suspect armies aren't spending a lot of time repossessing cyberware from honorably discharged vets.

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <11-17-12/1354:36> »
I think thats a reason to put everything that's possible on auxillary gear and not implants, like mentioned before...
Cyber eyes? no... slap it on the helmet visor
Strength boost? slap in onto the military armor

Hell why waste 30k on a single guy when you can 6 people with an automatic rifle for the same money?
With a pay of 5,5k nuyen which is probably way to much...
I think in 2070 military is still trying to be cost effective and humans will still be somewhat expendable

Of course there are approaches where thousands of foot soldiers aren't the solution but the...
you probably go for spec ops, where money is seamingly no problem anymore...
a squad of 4 people each worth 1.000.000 nuyen are less expensive,
then 1.000 soldiers worth each 5000 nuyen.
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls