NEWS

Siblings?

• 10 Replies

忍

« on: <10-31-18/2245:33> »
Can two siblings be two different metatypes? (Presumably from mixed meta parents)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-31-18/2324:42> »
Yes.

Not only that, but there is a very small chance that even children born to human parents (both) could express at puberty into different metatypes... Say Ork and Elf.

Its getting rarer and rarer in canon as we move farther away from UGE and Goblinization, but it could still happen.

Especially if it adds to your story.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-01-18/0020:20> »
One of my favorite SR novels (The Lucifer Deck) is about an ork girl that was born from human parents. She expressed the traits at puberty (gives a whole new level of going through "the change") and was disowned. The book even had a scene similar to Angel's intro in the X3 movie. She was caught by her sister mutilating herself to try and hide the orkish traits.

There's also a character in a mission that is a Giant and he has a sister that is Human. Genetic reversion (metas having human children) is excessively rare but possible.

A mixed meta couple can presumably have children of either metatype. The canon doesn't seem to indicate that certain metatype are dominant or anything (genetically).
« Last Edit: <11-01-18/0258:05> by Kiirnodel »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <11-01-18/0135:27> »
Secrets of Power’s Twist’s sister is an Ork turned Wendigo
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-01-18/1023:08> »
When both parents are the same (non-human) metatype, their children are always that metatype. When the parents are two different metatypes, their children can be either parent's metatype, or human. When both parents are human, their children can be human or up to two different non-human metatypes (either parent could pass an unexpressed metagene to their child, but siblings of three different nonhuman metatypes would be impossible without medical or magical intervention).

Note that elves and dwarfs are only born; they never express at puberty. Orks and trolls can be born human and express later (i.e. "goblinize"), but it's rare.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-01-18/1145:15> »
Not saying any of the above is incorrect, but as a counterpoint I'll add:

Remember that not only do things change on a meta/rules level over the course of real-world years, things have changed in-universe over the course of in-universe years.  Goblinization was more common during the decades preceeding the 2070s/2080s the 5th edition is set in.  Notably in the early (fictional) 21st century, even fully mature adult humans could express into Orks/Trolls.

On a biological scale, the 2070s/2080s is still the immediate aftermath of the Awakening.  While there are certainly trends set out in lore/fluff there's still ample room for a special story to be told about a given character what flies in the face of those established trends.  One or two generations is insufficient data to be able to really say what's going on genetically post-Awakening.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-01-18/1210:38> »
And don't forget about one case of reversion.  Occasionally a girl born to a pair of giants will be human.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-02-18/0220:40> »
And don't forget about one case of reversion.  Occasionally a girl born to a pair of giants will be human.

In the books they actually describe this as Giants showing an increased rate of reversion. I always read that to mean that reversion can happen in exceedingly rare cases for anyone, and giants have a much higher chance.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #8 on: <11-03-18/1941:16> »
Note that elves and dwarfs are only born; they never express at puberty. Orks and trolls can be born human and express later (i.e. "goblinize"), but it's rare.

Are you sure? i swear i read canon stuff about folks going elf?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <11-03-18/1948:58> »
There are smatterings all over the books if you read close enough.

The question is: "Are they true?"
             Miss information included in the fluff writings are a known thing in SR, both to add some mystery to the world, and to leave things open for a GM to exploit if they so choose. So, it could be reported that there was an 'expression' of an dwarf or Elf child after puberty... but that doesn't mean it true :P (Or, does it?? -GM decides)

And really, this is mostly a background thing 99% of the time anyways... to help color a character background, its not going to break the game either way...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #10 on: <11-03-18/2024:04> »
SURGE can make people to dwarf or elf but nothing else. They are born that way. Of course in fiction there’s at least one vampire who was born human but turned elf the same time the vampiric virus took hold
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?