NEWS

Frustration with CC

• 3 Replies

Ixy

• Newb
« on: <09-01-19/1850:14> »
I've got the PDF (which seems to include the August errata) and I'm hung up on how exactly to spend Adjustment points "to buy Edge [they mean Edge Rank?], boost specific attributes for that metatype [1:1 ?!], and/or enhance Magic or Resonance".

Also frustrating, how is Edge Rank calculated?

Customization Karma, can it be saved? If so, why the fuss about base Magic priority or min-maxing skills/attributes.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-01-19/1923:40> »
I've got the PDF (which seems to include the August errata) and I'm hung up on how exactly to spend Adjustment points "to buy Edge [they mean Edge Rank?], boost specific attributes for that metatype [1:1 ?!], and/or enhance Magic or Resonance".

Also frustrating, how is Edge Rank calculated?

Customization Karma, can it be saved? If so, why the fuss about base Magic priority or min-maxing skills/attributes.

For the purposes of character creation, the word "edge" only ever applies to your Edge attribute.  Edge, in this context, is a static number that ranges from 1-6 (1-7 for Humans) and starts at 1.  It goes up by spending Special Attribute Points (1 point increases it 1 integer.  costs 1 SAP to go from 1 Edge to 2 Edge.  It also only costs 1 SAP to then go from 2 Edge to 3 Edge, and so on.)  You can also spend Karma (see step 4, pg. 66) to improve any attribute, to include Edge, up to a cap of your racial maximum. But this comes after spending SAPs.

You get Special Attribute Points from your Metatype priority pick and you don't have to only spend them on Edge.  If you're a Magician or Technomancer, you can also spend some of those points to improve your Magic or Resonance attribute.  You can also spend them on Special Racial Attributes: these are attributes that your selected metatype has a racial maximum outside of 6 in.  So Agility and Charisma for elves, and so on.  Humans technically have Edge as a Special Racial Attribute, but you could already spend SAPs on Edge anyway :]

It is unfortunately unsaid as to whether you can save any character creation karma. So that's yet to be formally ruled on/clarified.  My personal opinion is since it doesn't say, then that means you can save however much you want.  But don't take that as more than an opinion.

« Last Edit: <09-01-19/1926:40> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <09-01-19/2348:47> »
As a GM I'd restrict the leftover to 5 until we get errata, to prevent players circumventing chargen restrictions.

How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-02-19/1252:06> »

It is unfortunately unsaid as to whether you can save any character creation karma. So that's yet to be formally ruled on/clarified.  My personal opinion is since it doesn't say, then that means you can save however much you want.  But don't take that as more than an opinion.

We both agree its unfortunate.  I happen to think since there is no mention of Karma carryover into play the allowance is 0.  So clearly your GM Mileage may vary.  Check with your GM and carry on until clarity is granted.