NEWS

[SR5]Matrix Search

• 4 Replies

pariah3j

• Newb
« on: <03-05-14/0044:29> »
I searched but didn't find the info I'm looking for so I'll ask here. My main question is how do non-deckers search the matrix ? I'm assuming that comlinks can do this function since they are something of a personal computer/smart-phone all rolled into one. I'm starting a 5th ed campain and I was trying to write up some notes on the possible difficulty for search the players will need to make, but I got to looking and the only thing I see for matrix search says its Computer + Intuition[Data Processing] - I understand how the decker gets his/her [Data processing] number(at least I think) but I don't see where it says how a normal comlink would handle this ?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <03-05-14/0114:54> »
Commlinks have a Data Processing and Firewall attribute equal to their Device Rating.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

pariah3j

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-05-14/0129:24> »
Commlinks have a Data Processing and Firewall attribute equal to their Device Rating.

Thank you - I was thinking it was something like that but realized that some of the better comlinks would have better stats then cyberdecks so I started to second guess myself.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <03-05-14/0207:09> »

Thank you - I was thinking it was something like that but realized that some of the better comlinks would have better stats then cyberdecks so I started to second guess myself.

That is the case.  Commlinks can be much cheaper but have high Data Processing and Firewall, but still lack an Attack or Sleaze action and can't run Cyberprograms or Agents.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-14/0257:45> »

That is the case.  Commlinks can be much cheaper but have high Data Processing and Firewall, but still lack an Attack or Sleaze action and can't run Cyberprograms or Agents.

Kind of like a tablet, you can get some good functionality with it with certain things, but you don't have all of the options you would have with a real computer.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."