NEWS

The Way of the Adept kicks off Shadowrun Options line

• 93 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <04-27-11/1631:04> »
Critias, great product thank you for adding your creativity to shadowrun. One question, does the Geas discount (optional rule) add to the discount for way of ability....so an adept could get improved Reflexes for 50% discount?
My intention here was to let GMs choose on their own -- but as they're both optional rules, my assumption (and how I'd run it, personally) is an either/or situation, not a both at once.  While I feel that one option or the other may be necessary for early/mid-game Adepts to match the versatility of a Street Sam, I think that both sets of optional rules, taken together, would likely get a little nuts.  I'm a big fan of that geasa rule (though like Patrick I'm also a stickler that folks pick a real geasa), but a large part of my intent with Way of the Adept was to offer a more characterful option, along with finally providing rules for Ways. 

There are individual powers (Improved Attribute compared to cyberware/bioware, I'm looking at you) where I think a 50% discount might not be broken...but there are others (lots of others) where I think getting a full half-off would be game breaking, especially as a game progressed, with the Adept getting more power points down the road. 

As always, though, talk to your GM and see what s/he thinks.  If your adept is lagging behind at the game table, talk it over, look into using both sets of options, and have at it.  When in doubt, sling some dice and have some fun.  In this instance though, personally, I'd suggest taking it one discount optional rule at a time, instead of jumping in headfirst and slashing prices in half.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <04-27-11/1636:28> »
I like that, will work for every table. Thank you sir

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-27-11/1642:57> »
Loved see the shout out to 1st Ed SR with Thorn posting - always loved Ourobouros!
Ourobouros has his own posting name, actually.  Hate to burst your bubble, but this is actually a new guy.  A new guy you'll be hearing more from in the not-so-distant future.

Actually meant Thorn from Tailchaser - had a brainfart ;)
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-27-11/2027:18> »
I'm a big fan of that geasa rule (though like Patrick I'm also a stickler that folks pick a real geasa)
So you wouldn't allow Looks Good In Shades: 6 as a form of Centering?

mfb will be heartbroken.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #19 on: <04-27-11/2055:10> »
For my (lucky?) 666th post, I'd just like to thank the Shadowrun fans for making a certain something the #1 hottest seller right now on DriveThruRPG.com:  http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/top_100.php

You guys rock.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-27-11/2230:21> »
For my (lucky?) 666th post, I'd just like to thank the Shadowrun fans for making a certain something the #1 hottest seller right now on DriveThruRPG.com:  http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/top_100.php

You guys rock.

Mr. Critias - can I get my pdf autographed?  ;D
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <04-27-11/2234:19> »
Good stuff, Critias!

(Of course, there's a typo. Kay St. Irregular was spelled Kat St. Irregular. But I'm not nitpicking... ;))

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <04-28-11/0046:30> »
Quote from: Wesley Street @ dumpshock
If this is going to be a trend, I'd like to see a future "Way of the Samurai" supplement with lower-BP builds for pre-constructed cyberware packages - Cyber Runner, Spec Forces Trooper, Cyber Assassin, The Six Million Nuyen Street Samurai, Cyber Logician, etc. Otherwise we're going to see further proof of this game falling prey to the "magic trumps all" mentality that's already infecting it.

This.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-28-11/1339:35> »
That.

Is fucking idiotic. Part of Critias' entire reasoning for this book is based on the objective fact that starting and low karma adepts are utterly neutered compared to street sams, especially compared to previous editions.

But, hey, shitting on stuff for the sake of it is a good plan, too. Then again, I don't recall Wesley bitching about "magic trumps all" that started way back with FanPro when he was contributing to SR. Funny that.
« Last Edit: <04-28-11/1342:32> by Crimsondude »

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <04-28-11/1356:43> »
A very well done PDF. It came out just in time as I have been pondering making a weaponsmith adept (yes, drawing heavily from Earthdawn). So now the question is Artisan's or Artist's Way? I can see how both would work but have fairly different takes on the creation of items. Or possibly an ork actor Artist adept, hmm... the possibilities.*

I do have one question though. The Totem's Way, still confuses me. Is it just another flavor of Mystic Adept, following the more general split between Hermetic and Shamanic systems?

*I've played precious little of this edition that I'd still get a kick out of playing the typical ork and troll melee tank adepts (always enjoyed playing CC characters in other games).
« Last Edit: <04-28-11/1416:47> by grimjaws »
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #25 on: <04-28-11/1431:38> »
A very well done PDF. It came out just in time as I have been pondering making a weaponsmith adept (yes, drawing heavily from Earthdawn). So now the question is Artisan's or Artist's Way? I can see how both would work but have fairly different takes on the creation of items. Or possibly an ork actor Artist adept, hmm... the possibilities.*
Well, as it says in the book, Artisans broke off from Artists when they declared that Function trumps Form. So, are you making the guns pretty or hardcore? ;)
I do have one question though. The Totem's Way, still confuses me. Is it just another flavor of Mystic Adept, following the more general split between Hermetic and Shamanic systems?

*I've played precious little of this edition that I'd still get a kick out of playing the typical ork and troll melee tank adepts (always enjoyed playing CC characters in other games).
Totem's way is basically another way to look at straight adepts. Where most adepts will claim their magic fuels their body simply through willpower and access to magic, Totem adepts call the boons "blessings" from their totems.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <04-28-11/1637:38> »
That.

Is fucking idiotic. Part of Critias' entire reasoning for this book is based on the objective fact that starting and low karma adepts are utterly neutered compared to street sams, especially compared to previous editions.

But, hey, shitting on stuff for the sake of it is a good plan, too. Then again, I don't recall Wesley bitching about "magic trumps all" that started way back with FanPro when he was contributing to SR. Funny that.

Well said

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #27 on: <04-28-11/1810:20> »
A very well done PDF. It came out just in time as I have been pondering making a weaponsmith adept (yes, drawing heavily from Earthdawn). So now the question is Artisan's or Artist's Way? I can see how both would work but have fairly different takes on the creation of items.
Glad you like it!  For pure functionality, Artisan is the way to go.  If you wanna make 'em pretty (and still functional), Artist.  It's about mindset and prioritization as much as anything else.  Personally, I'd go Artisan.  They get more bonuses to the stuff you're likely to actually use with that sort of concept.

Totem's Way Adepts are the ones who -- like Mi'Fan -- still have a "normal" suite of Adept powers (they aren't necessarily Mystic adepts), but who attribute that set as being a favor from a totem/mentor spirit. 

So instead of being an Invisible Way Adept, they're a Totem's Way who follows Rat, for instance.  They will function largely the same as any other Invisible Way follower (choosing that list of discounted powers), but will also have access to discounted powers that let them bond with animals and that sort of thing, and their metamagics help them connect with animals, too. 

It's for characters that want to stay kind of shamanic-feeling, but without having to only be good at acting like a D&D Druid or a Native American stereotype.  ;)  A Totem's Way follower of Wolf will still be a total badass, a follower of Horse can run like the wind, and a follower of Rat can be as sneaky a sum'bitch as anyone else...but they've also got the more animalistic options available to them, to flavor their character that way.
« Last Edit: <04-28-11/2048:42> by Critias »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #28 on: <04-28-11/1814:23> »
Something tells me a follower of Bear would be a force to be reckoned with.

Damn having to wait until later to get this PDF.  I just got a shiny new printer too.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #29 on: <04-28-11/2050:34> »
Something tells me a follower of Bear would be a force to be reckoned with.
Regardless of what other bundles of powers they choose to discount (like a Bear adept working hard on being an excellent medic/doctor), Totem's Way followers do get access to the Berserk power at a discount.  I'm just sayin'.  ;)