NEWS

6E car transport

• 45 Replies

Lethrendis

• Newb
« on: <08-08-20/0715:45> »
Hi, while playing, we didn't agree on the possibility of disconnecting the car from the Matrix. A police car with a driver has become the target of a hacker attack, can the driver disconnect the car so he can drive himself? I assume it's illegal, but is it possible?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-08-20/0719:35> »
A car is a device, so you could turn off the wireless. Whether it's legal depends on where you are.

To quote Rigger 5.0:
Quote from: p155
Nearly every modern vehicle made in the 2070s has
the ability to be piloted remotely or purely through
its electronic controls as well as its manual/mechanical
controls.

If you want the car to still be online but not controllable remotely, you'd need a specific override that will be in the detailed-vehicle-rigger book. But just turning off the wireless, is perfectly possible without that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lethrendis

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-08-20/0757:50> »
TY, exactly as I thought.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-08-20/1148:36> »
If it was a players car I probably wouldn't push it, especially if its a riggers car. Similarly I would assume a police car might have a higher hacker risk so they might have a easy off switch. But lets say its a stolen car, I'd let them do it but it would require electronics skill or hacking to do so. My assumption is most cars just wouldn't have that as a switch or option, its like your air bag its on unless you take serious action to deactivate it.  And if you were in a town that required something like grid guide I'd increase your handling checks as you are forced to dodge cars that don't see you outside of emergency maneuvering.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-08-20/1346:10> »
Not at books atm but iirc turning off wireless in this edition already require an electronics test.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-08-20/1349:36> »
...Similarly I would assume a police car might have a higher hacker risk so they might have a easy off switch...

In my mind, it doesn't make sense from a traffic safety perspective to go wireless-off.  Police and emergency vehicles especially so... how is Grid Guide going to divert traffic out of your way if it can't see you?

Personally, I'd say a police car's defense against criminal hacking is being protected by the precinct host and attending spider(s).  Gotta crack a very stout police host in order to frag with the police car pursuing you...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <08-08-20/1408:26> »
GridGuide can still see the car through all the subscribed vehicles their sensors, but it sure won't like you.

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #7 on: <08-08-20/1425:35> »
...Similarly I would assume a police car might have a higher hacker risk so they might have a easy off switch...

In my mind, it doesn't make sense from a traffic safety perspective to go wireless-off.  Police and emergency vehicles especially so... how is Grid Guide going to divert traffic out of your way if it can't see you?

Personally, I'd say a police car's defense against criminal hacking is being protected by the precinct host and attending spider(s).  Gotta crack a very stout police host in order to frag with the police car pursuing you...

I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to say that emergency vehicles have a manual mode, but that might be more of a "in case crash 3.0 happens" or "because of that blackout last month that took out all electronic systems, we're going to have steering wheels in our cars as a backup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #8 on: <08-08-20/1428:52> »
GridGuide can still see the car through all the subscribed vehicles their sensors, but it sure won't like you.
GridGuide sees car that doesn't have a GridGuide Subscription.

GridGuide makes sure it doesn't get any lane change options in order to hit every red light on its way to its destination.

GridGuide almost has a garbage truck merge into the lane that the Ghost Car is in.

GridGuide boxes the Ghost Car with a bunch of minimum subscription cars and makes the person in this box watch as higher tiered members roll right on by in what used to be the carpool lane.

GridGuide makes sure there's a cop close to the Ghost Car if it's speeding.  Ticket time.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <08-08-20/1555:43> »
In my campaign there were mages running over the highway with Movement while invisible. Since every now and then a camera would pierce the Illusion, GridGuide's system would freak out and try to avoid a collision, which led to dangerous sudden maneuvers and complaints. So the speedsters got a simple choice: use a GPS tracker, or become free game. As in, a big truck swerving into the lane of the invisible speedster...

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-08-20/1618:06> »
Not at books atm but iirc turning off wireless in this edition already require an electronics test.

It does but its basically a non existent test that people cheese that 3 point quality with. This is just my assumption but I'd assume some devices due to safety concerns would make it harder to turn off. Its not just navigating to your iphones system and switching wi-fi off.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-08-20/1620:09> »

I'd assume they have better matrix security, but I probably would have a last ditch easy shut off switch as well.  I might not just so I don't spoil the hackers fun.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-08-20/1621:57> »

GridGuide makes sure it doesn't get any lane change options in order to hit every red light on its way to its destination.

GridGuide almost has a garbage truck merge into the lane that the Ghost Car is in.

GridGuide boxes the Ghost Car with a bunch of minimum subscription cars and makes the person in this box watch as higher tiered members roll right on by in what used to be the carpool lane.

GridGuide makes sure there's a cop close to the Ghost Car if it's speeding.  Ticket time.

I like it.  That's meaner than what I'd do.  Like I said I'd just bump the handling tests a bit.  Gridguide might technically see you through its other subscribed cars but it has no idea what you are doing. So cars wont just get out of your way in as timely as a fashion.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <08-08-20/1709:07> »

I like it.  That's meaner than what I'd do.  Like I said I'd just bump the handling tests a bit.  Gridguide might technically see you through its other subscribed cars but it has no idea what you are doing. So cars wont just get out of your way in as timely as a fashion.

Given how far along we've come with our limited technology in regards to self driving vehicles, I would be extremely surprised if the 2080s couldn't handle pico-second adjustments spread across the meshed vehicles on the Grid in response to a none grid vehicle entering the traffic flow.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-08-20/1946:45> »

Given how far along we've come with our limited technology in regards to self driving vehicles, I would be extremely surprised if the 2080s couldn't handle pico-second adjustments spread across the meshed vehicles on the Grid in response to a none grid vehicle entering the traffic flow.

Ordinary driving maybe.  Car chase driving I'm not so sure. Also i figure there is a reason its mandatory in certain areas. Do they have the tech to make it work, maybe do they spend the money to use that tech?

Edit to add this isn't just about not being on grid guide, but shutting down the wi-fi entirely. Even if you are not on grid guide its how your car interacts with the world. On a game mechanics side of things, there should be a penalty to being able to just full on avoid a hack.
« Last Edit: <08-08-20/1949:37> by Shinobi Killfist »